White Sox at A's 7/2 Gamethread

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 07:32 PM)
I don't get to watch the Sox a lot, but has Pods been taking fewer pitches over the past few months?

He's not walking as much. I think teams are realizing they are far better off making him swing the bat.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 01:33 AM)
Our 1-2-3 hitters look absolutely terrible up there tonight.

I don't understand why we bat Harris 2nd, just cause he's taking the place of Iguchi. It's ridiculous to have two slap hitters batting 1st and 2nd in the order. Pods and Harris aren't the second coming of Pierre and Castillo.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 06:35 PM)
I don't understand why we bat Harris 2nd, just cause he's taking the place of Iguchi.  It's ridiculous to have two slap hitters batting 1st and 2nd in the order.  Pods and Harris aren't the second coming of Pierre and Castillo.

If one of them gets on base it actually works pretty well, great speed and bunting in the 2nd slot. If either of them gets on base it'll be a huge headache for the pitcher.

Just wish they'd try taking a few more pitches or work on fouling off a few that they don't like.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 01:35 AM)
I don't understand why we bat Harris 2nd, just cause he's taking the place of Iguchi.  It's ridiculous to have two slap hitters batting 1st and 2nd in the order.  Pods and Harris aren't the second coming of Pierre and Castillo.

I think Ozzie likes that Harris (normally) sees a lot of pitches. First AB he saw at least 6 (full count), and I didn't see his second AB, but I don't think it was very good.

And, who else should he stick there? Rowand is the only other option.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 07:39 PM)
Watching Garland pitch is like a breath of fresh air after watching Contreras stink up the joint yesterday.

After watching Contreras last night, watching a kid pitching in Pony League would be a breath of fresh air.

It seems like Pierzynski has had a lot of line-drive outs this year -- or, at least, more than anyone else on our team. I'm gonna have to check out his PrOPS (Predicted -- or it might be Projected OPS), 'cause Hardball Times factors in line-drive outs.

EDIT: Should have said, to see if he's been lucky or unlucky.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 08:45 PM)
It seems like Pierzynski has had a lot of line-drive outs this year -- or, at least, more than anyone else on our team.  I'm gonna have to check out his PrOPS (Predicted -- or it might be Projected OPS), 'cause Hardball Times factors in line-drive outs. 

EDIT:  Should have said, to see if he's been lucky or unlucky.

PrOPS - 0.856

PrOPS+ - -0.097

PrOPS% - -13%

Whatever that may mean :)

Mean's his OPS should be higher.

Ugh - loses the perfecto on a HBP

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 01:49 AM)
PrOPS - 0.856

PrOPS+ - -0.097

PrOPS% - -13%

Whatever that may mean :)

Mean's his OPS should be higher.

Ugh - loses the perfecto on a HBP

I just looked it up myself, WH -- he's been extremely unlucky, according to them.

That's a huge difference there, almost .100 OPS points... Wow.