TRADE THREAD II ~ July 2 - July 8

Texsox

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 10:23 PM)
You are gonna call BS on Coppect cuz f***ing Levine said no?

Yeah, he was also the one who said Shef was goin to the Cubs like a month ago. (Talkin bout Levine)

Edited by chimpy2121

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 10:24 PM)
Levine, Cowley and Ofman say no.  Coppeck says yes based on a conversation with a Sox board member in Walgreen.  that just doesn't give me confidence.

Like I said, nothing is ever leeked by those clowns.

Offman? HAHAHA

Cowley? HAHAHA

Levine? Meh

I think it's safe to say that after reading up on a lot of this Schmidt news, there's nothing to these rumors. Far too often I've seen someone use a "board of directors" member as a source for a trade/FA rumor, only to see it end up being bogus.

twas watching cltv sports page tonite and they had a guy on from sporting news radio and he said one of his colleague hosts reported that the white sox were reportedly getting schmidt. he said they asked one sox official and the official said it was a done deal and they asked another sox official and he was more like its 50/50. after revealing this, the hosts of sports page went on to discuss who they might be trading for schmidt. speculated maybe 1 of frank/everett but none of em wants that to happen(me either, esp. everett) and also said it wouldn't make sense. i could see maybe contreras being moved for him in a package. but the sporting news guy seemed pretty sure(and enthusiastic) it will happen.

Edited by thelatinoheat_30

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 08:44 PM)
Must have been afraid to ask, the conversation would have gone like this:  Chet-My sources have told me jason Schmidt to the Sox, have you heard anything?  Ken-NO. Dead air and awkward silence.

He or his producer most likely asked him before he went on. Since he probably hadn't heard anything Coppock didn't bring it up. I have no doubt Coppock did talk to a member of the White Sox BOD and was given this information. That doesn't make it true.

Everything I've heard from the Giants leads me to believe that it won't happen. They've said they're not desperate to move him because they control his option for next year, and they seem to want to make sure they will compete next year. I've seen/heard this in many places, including the ESPN rumor central and Ken Rosenthal. It seems they will only trade him if they get bowled over. The demand mentioned was two major league starting pitchers, and the only names mentioned were Jon Garland and Carlos Silva, which are obviously ridiculous. Even if they were trying to trade him, I'd think they'd wait until closer to the deadline for three major reasons: 1) see if he can string together a few good starts together in order to increase his value 2) see if his velocity gets better, reducing his risk a bit 3) try to start a bidding war between several teams.

twas watching cltv sports page tonite and they had a guy on from sporting news radio and he said one of his colleague hosts reported that the white sox were reportedly getting schmidt. he said they asked one sox official and the official said it was a done deal and they asked another sox official and he was more like its 50/50. after revealing this, the hosts of sports page went on to discuss who they might be trading for schmidt. speculated maybe 1 of frank/everett but none of em wants that to happen(me either, esp. everett) and also said it wouldn't make sense. i could see maybe contreras being moved for him in a package. but the sporting news guy seemed pretty sure(and enthusiastic) it will happen.

I saw it too. They said that Kenny wont give up any everyday players and that if they did get Shmidt itd probably be for minor leaguers excluding McCarthy and Anderson.

Thatd be a good trade for the team. Youd strenghthen your rotation and bullpen. Your rotation(not in this order) would be Buerhle, Garcia, Garland, Schmidt, and Contreras.

You could move El Duque to the bullpen for long relief and send away Viz. Thatd be a hella of a rotation :cheers

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 03:27 AM)
Yeah, he was also the one who said Shef was goin to the Cubs like a month ago. (Talkin bout Levine)

No he didn't. It was actually Steve Phillips on ESPN Radio.

NOT A REAL STORY

I just found this on the SF Giants MLB.com messageboard:

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. -- Jason Schmidt was traded from the San Francisco Giants to the Chicago White Sox, a blockbuster deal Monday that further bolstered the White Sox revamped rotation

The Texas Rangers, Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees were rumored to be pursuing Schmidt, but the White Sox swooped in and got the Giant ace for Shortstop Juan Uribe , pitcher Jose Contreras and prized prospect Brandon Mccarthy.

Schmidt's now-former teammate J.T. Snow spoke in an interview with ESPN Radio.

"The two of us had lockers next to each other for the last 4 years," Snow said. "You kind of figure something like this is going to happen, but it's not as much about losing a guy on your team, it's about losing one of your best friends."

I dont know where it came from but it looks legit unless someone is a very clever troll.

QUOTE(FGarcia34 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 12:18 AM)
I just found this on the SF Giants MLB.com messageboard:

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. -- Jason Schmidt was traded from the San Francisco Giants to the Chicago White Sox, a blockbuster deal Monday that further bolstered the White Sox revamped rotation

The Texas Rangers, Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees were rumored to be pursuing Schmidt, but the White Sox swooped in and got the Giant ace for Shortstop Juan Uribe , pitcher Jose Contreras and prized prospect Brandon Mccarthy.

Schmidt's now-former teammate J.T. Snow spoke in an interview with ESPN Radio.

"The two of us had lockers next to each other for the last 4 years," Snow said. "You kind of figure something like this is going to happen, but it's not as much about losing a guy on your team, it's about losing one of your best friends."

I dont know where it came from but it looks legit unless someone is a very clever troll.

LOL, nothing from those message boards are ever real.