TRADE THREAD II ~ July 2 - July 8

Texsox

And AJ Burnett doesnt have injury history? How does he make perfect sense? I see him as being as much as a liability as Russ Ortiz...errr El Duque.

He had one major injury 2 years ago and is finally recovered. He is a "southside" type guy, much like pauly is. He is a legit starter, and would only cost about 9-10mil to resign in the offseason, just think of the rotation going from the trading dealine till 2008. What do we get from trading for Clemens and Schimdt other than a rent a player? Clemens won't resign and JR won't pony up the money for a healthy Schimdt..if he ever gets back to form. AJ on the other hand, is a class A stud and would be a steal for 9/10 a year, plus figure the ozzie discount..might get him cheaper.

Marky

Freddy

AJ

Jon

Jose

I take Jose as my number 5 any day of the week.

This keeps El DL healthy come playoff time, could help us.

Enough with the Russ Ortiz, again for the slow minded, the debate was between Jarret wright and Russ Ortiz.. Please let me know if you think that we should have signed Wright over Ortiz.

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
He had one major injury 2 years ago and is finally recovered. He is a "southside" type guy, much like pauly is. He is a legit starter, and would only cost about 9-10mil to resign in the offseason, just think of the rotation going from the trading dealine till 2008. What do we get from trading for Clemens and Schimdt other than a rent a player? Clemens won't resign and JR won't pony up the money for a healthy Schimdt..if he ever gets back to form. AJ on the other hand, is a class A stud and would be a steal for 9/10 a year, plus figure the ozzie discount..might get him cheaper.

Marky

Freddy

AJ

Jon

Jose

Enough with the Russ Ortiz, again for the slow minded, the debate was between Jarret wright and Russ Ortiz.. Please let me know if you think that we should have signed Wright over Ortiz.

I think the problem is that AJ wants to be a Yankee(so the rumors go). You are thinking that AJ is re-signable, but this isnt known. Plus, AJ may have the stuff to be worth a 9-10 million per year contract, but he hasnt done anything yet to warrant a contract that big. The Marlins in 03 won the world series without him, it isnt as if he has the experience.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 04:47 PM)
You believe everything you read, don't you?

You think KW is just going to come out and spill everything to the media ahead of time?

He isn't known for being "under the radar" for nothing.

Even so, by using "Big Splash", that means that he isn't going to get any of the big names. He isn't willing to give away our top two prospects and he doesn't want to ruin the chemistry on the team right now by trading a Crede. We aren't getting Schmidt. We aren't getting Clemens. We aren't getting AJ Burnett. We may get a number 3-5 pitcher or some LH relief. But c'mon, these are just rumors made by guys who get paid to sell newspapers and hits to websites. They are fun to read, though.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 12:54 PM)
Even so, by using "Big Splash", that means that he isn't going to get any of the big names.  He isn't willing to give away our top two prospects and he doesn't want to ruin the chemistry on the team right now by trading a Crede.  We aren't getting Schmidt.  We aren't getting Clemens.  We aren't getting AJ Burnett. We may get a number 3-5 pitcher or some LH relief.  But c'mon, these are just rumors made by guys who get paid to sell newspapers and hits to websites.  They are fun to read, though.

I never said that we were.

By posting the "we will only get big names" article, I took it as a response to my Glendon Rusch rumor.

Also, I never said that we were going to get Schmidt. I only said that if the Sporting News rumor was true, that it would happen after the All-Star Break.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 09:41 AM)

AJ has also spent a period this year on the 15 day DL with elbow inflamation, so don't say that he's completely recovered and always healthy.

There's also been reports that anyone who trades for AJ will have to figure out some way to guarantee that he can be re-signed for somewhere in the $10 million a year+ range, which would instantly make him the highest paid pitcher on our staff.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 04:58 PM)
I never said that we were.

By posting the "we will only get big names" article, I took it as a response to my Glendon Rusch rumor.

Also, I never said that we were going to get Schmidt. I only said that if the Sporting News rumor was true, that it would happen after the All-Star Break.

I know I quoted you, but it was more in response to the rumors. Fun to talk about, but about a 5% chance it's going to happen.

I'd loooove to see Clemens in a Sox uni, but he will NOT come to Chicago. He has a Michael Jordan-like deal with the Astros, in his hometown.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to start an argument. I think we need to think outside the box. In fact, I think Anthrax's idea of Mark Redman is a good one.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 01:06 PM)
I know I quoted you, but it was more in response to the rumors.  Fun to talk about, but about a 5% chance it's going to happen.

I'd loooove to see Clemens in a Sox uni, but he will NOT come to Chicago.  He has a Michael Jordan-like deal with the Astros, in his hometown.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to start an argument.  I think we need to think outside the box.  In fact, I think Anthrax's idea of Mark Redman is a good one.

Redman is too iffy.

Rusch would be better, IMO.

Why in the world would the Cubs part with Rusch? They think they're still in the wild card race, and they have 2 starters who we can almost guarantee will see the disabled list at some other point this season. Rusch is as good of a fill-in as anyone in the league, and even when their starters are "Healthy", they're not going to be throwing 8 inning games, so they'll need some bullpen cover.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
Why in the world would the Cubs part with Rusch?  They think they're still in the wild card race, and they have 2 starters who we can almost guarantee will see the disabled list at some other point this season.  Rusch is as good of a fill-in as anyone in the league, and even when their starters are "Healthy", they're not going to be throwing 8 inning games, so they'll need some bullpen cover.

funny this was brought up, just the other day a cubsfan was telling me the sox should trade everett for rusch, it makes perfect sense but i hate rusch and love everett

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 11:47 AM)
You believe everything you read, don't you?

You think KW is just going to come out and spill everything to the media ahead of time?

He isn't known for being "under the radar" for nothing.

I just posted some rumors I saw on the MLB.com website. Noone said I believed anything. I wasnt refuting anything you said, I just happened to come across that page and posted it.

I think the problem is that AJ wants to be a Yankee(so the rumors go). You are thinking that AJ is re-signable, but this isnt known. Plus, AJ may have the stuff to be worth a 9-10 million per year contract, but he hasnt done anything yet to warrant a contract that big. The Marlins in 03 won the world series without him, it isnt as if he has the experience.

\

Why would AJ not be resignable? I think we can get it down, we have Carl, Pauly,Frank,Timo and Shingo all coming off the books next year. We have some cash to go after another SP that could make us damn ferking good for the next 3-4 years.

Who doesn't want to be a Yankee? Get overpaid and if you underperform everyone else besides you it seems gets the boot. Where in the Rotation is AJ going to fit in? They have Johnson,Pavano, Mussina, Brown, and The infamous Jarret Wright. I know that RJ CP and JW are all signed through next year.. I don't know the current status of MM and KB. Also factor in Oswalt, is he not a FA next year as well? If I were the Yankees and had my choice I would go after Oswalt over AJ, which would help us out in signing him.

IMO, Schmidt is a bad idea if this was jason from 2002, then yeah go for it.. I just think what we would have to give up would not be worth the reward.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 12:41 PM)
I think we can get it down, we have Carl, Pauly,Frank,Timo and Shingo all coming off the books next year.

Losing that much offense makes so much sense too.

I sense Carl and Paully gone. I sense Frank is a Sox player his entire career.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 12:41 PM)
\

Why would AJ not be resignable? I think we can get it down, we have Carl, Pauly,Frank,Timo and Shingo all coming off the books next year. We have some cash to go after another SP that could make us damn ferking good for the next 3-4 years.

Who doesn't want to be a Yankee? Get overpaid and if you underperform everyone else besides you it seems gets the boot. Where in the Rotation is AJ going to fit in? They have Johnson,Pavano, Mussina, Brown, and The infamous Jarret Wright. I know that RJ CP and JW are all signed through next year.. I don't know the current status of MM and KB. Also factor in Oswalt, is he not a FA next year as well? If I were the Yankees and had my choice I would go after Oswalt over AJ, which would help us out in signing him.

IMO, Schmidt is a bad idea if this was jason from 2002, then yeah go for it.. I just think what we would have to give up would not be worth the reward.

Lots of speculation on both of our parts.

Where in the Rotation is AJ going to fit in? They have Johnson,Pavano, Mussina, Brown, and The infamous Jarret Wright.

Something tells me that Kevin Brown is either done after this year or he is goign to take his act elsewhere. new York doesnt have alot of patience with Brown after his substandard year last year, his attitude, and his lack of health. Wright may never pitch for the Yankees, who knows? He seems to have one good year and then goes on the DL for 5 years.

I think we can get it down, we have Carl, Pauly,Frank,Timo and Shingo all coming off the books next year.

Im glad you are positive that the Sox will not make a run at all of these players, but I doubt that seriously.

If I were the Yankees and had my choice I would go after Oswalt over AJ, which would help us out in signing him.

So if the Yankees throw big money at Oswalt, setting the bar on FA pitchers in the market, this helps the Sox sign someone who is already looking for big money? Im thinking this would set the Sox back even more if Oswalt signed with the Yanks, it would probably drive the bargaining up and put him out of the Sox range.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 12:51 PM)
Lots of speculation on both of our parts. 

Where in the Rotation is AJ going to fit in? They have Johnson,Pavano, Mussina, Brown, and The infamous Jarret Wright.

Something tells me that Kevin Brown is either done after this year or he is goign to take his act elsewhere. new York doesnt have alot of patience with Brown after his substandard year last year, his attitude, and his lack of health.  Wright may never pitch for the Yankees, who knows? He seems to have one good year and then goes on the DL for 5 years. 

Im glad you are positive that the Sox will not make a run at all of these players, but I doubt that seriously.

If I were the Yankees and had my choice I would go after Oswalt over AJ, which would help us out in signing him.

So if the Yankees throw big money at Oswalt, setting the bar on FA pitchers in the market, this helps the Sox sign someone who is already looking for big money? Im thinking this would set the Sox back even more if Oswalt signed with the Yanks, it would probably drive the bargaining up and put him out of the Sox range.

Another thing, how does Burnett fit into our rotation any better than the Yankees? We've already got 5 starting pitchers under contract for next year, only ours have been more effective and have been healthier than the Yankee's group. I highly doubt we are going to sign another starter for big bucks, since we are already spending so much on our rotation, and Garland will be due for a raise. We simply can't afford to have half our payroll in the starting rotation.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 05:47 PM)
Losing that much offense makes so much sense too.

I sense Carl and Paully gone.  I sense Frank is a Sox player his entire career.

Carl Everett is probably gone, but Paul Knerko and Frank Thomas will be staying. There won't be any block buster trade made, but we may possibly pick up another relief pitcher. Interesting to see how Jenks works out this week.

You will not lose the players previosuly mentioned just to sign a picther with declining numbers from Florida. Why would the Marlins depart with Burnett, if he is still effective? They are in the NL race and have shown they can compete with the best. They have needs like all the others and to give up a starter for whoever doesn't make much sense. I think this is why they call things rumors and make threads like this. It's fun to speculate. I could start one too: Shoeless Joe is coming back...

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 01:28 PM)
Another thing, how does Burnett fit into our rotation any better than the Yankees? We've already got 5 starting pitchers under contract for next year, only ours have been more effective and have been healthier than the Yankee's group. I highly doubt we are going to sign another starter for big bucks, since we are already spending so much on our rotation, and Garland will be due for a raise. We simply can't afford to have half our payroll in the starting rotation.

And then there is that....

To me, I see it like this:

Clemens> Burnett

Oswalt>Burnett

Burnett>Schmidt

Schmidt>Contreras

So basically I would be happy with any one of those guys to replace Contreras at the 4 spot(or El Duque at the 5, if Contreras were part of the trade).

Burnett would be nice, but I think all dreams of re-signing him where he would like to get paid should be thrown out the window. It comes down to which rent-a-player would cost the Sox the least and give them the most(health + performance). That pretty much throws out all but Oswalt, and even he had some injury problems last year.

I don't know what's up or who KW is looking at, but I have strong feeling that somjething is in the works and they believe it will go down soon. I also believe that at least 2 current members of the Sox will be shipped.

My reasoning for this is Ross Gload. The Sox, we all know, are in need of a solid backup at 1B, yet Gload is still in Charlotte "rehabbing". Well, he's rehabbing the cover off the ball. Why is he not up with the Sox? Because one of the position players will have to go down to make room for him. I think they are leaving Gload in AAA until a deal is made. A 'two for one' as far as major leaguers are concerned, with the new guy and Gload getting the roster spots of the departed players.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
My reasoning for this is Ross Gload.  The Sox, we all know, are in need of a solid backup at 1B, yet Gload is still in Charlotte "rehabbing".  Well, he's rehabbing the cover off the ball.  Why is he not up with the Sox?  Because one of the position players will have to go down to make room for him.  I think they are leaving Gload in AAA until a deal is made.  A 'two for one' as far as major leaguers are concerned, with the new guy and Gload getting the roster spots of the departed players.

A few weeks ago, he was rehabbing the cover off of the ball in AAA and then threw a ball across the infield, re-injuring his arm.

The rule was earlier in the season that they didn't want to bring Gload up until he was ready to play the outfield...if that's still in place, then the reality is that they just don't want to bring him up and risk having him re-injure his shoulder.

I also think that for some reason Ozzie or KW just doesn't want to part with Timo to give Gload the roster spot, but Gload being able to play OF might make that a bit easier.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)

Marky

Freddy

AJ

Jon

Jose

You still post here?? I thought you were still trying to look up evidence for your other horrible ideas in the offseason.

FLA wants a young starter for Aj, one that has a hope of being resigned for less than AJ would, we dont have that to give them, and if you think BMAC fits that role, not quite. We dont have the pieces that Fla wants, rumor has it that they are set on D Cabrera from the O's. Sorry Anthrax, no chance.

Guest JimH

Interesting thoughts Yas.

Personally I think Jenks is here on an audtion, i.e. to show KW and Ozzie whether they need to add another bullpen arm or not. Certainly makes sense to give this guy an opportunity before the trade deadline.

Re: all these denials coming out in the last day or so, that's well and good. Remember, things change and sometimes change very quickly. If Schmidt is indeed off the market then KW is onto Plan B.

You still post here?? I thought you were still trying to look up evidence for your other horrible ideas in the offseason.

FLA wants a young starter for Aj, one that has a hope of being resigned for less than AJ would, we dont have that to give them, and if you think BMAC fits that role, not quite.  We dont have the pieces that Fla wants, rumor has it that they are set on D Cabrera from the O's.  Sorry Anthrax, no chance.

Now that I read that, you are right it makes sense for both teams.. We have no one in the system that would entertain FLA..

Schimdt no thanks

And there is not one other SP I would want that I heard about we would give up way to much to get something back. We should have signed lowe or clement in the offseason and we would not have to worry anymore.

And I post here every once in a while, I know the board has gone downhill since I left, I read more than post.. But how many times can someone b**** about not getting national attention?

Edited by AnthraxFan93

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)
Now that I read that, you are right it makes sense for both teams.. We have no one in the system that would entertain FLA..

Schimdt no thanks

And there is not one other SP I would want that I heard about we would give up way to much to get something back. We should have signed lowe or clement in the offseason and we would not have to worry anymore.

You know what Anthrax, I think it's hard for people to take you serious when all of your posts are either bashing Kenny or Polanco or saying sign Cabrera. Yeah, Cabrera sucks and Polanco is really, really good.