TRADE THREAD II ~ July 2 - July 8

Texsox

QUOTE(FGarcia34 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 01:28 AM)
I'm not going to lie, that message did get me alittle giddy in the pants.

Glad you read it before I did. I would have called all my friends.

I see a few typos though. It's not like your looking for typos when you read a trade article.

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(FGarcia34 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 01:18 AM)
I just found this on the SF Giants MLB.com messageboard:

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. -- Jason Schmidt was traded from the San Francisco Giants to the Chicago White Sox, a blockbuster deal Monday that further bolstered the White Sox revamped rotation

The Texas Rangers, Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees were rumored to be pursuing Schmidt, but the White Sox swooped in and got the Giant ace for Shortstop Juan Uribe , pitcher Jose Contreras and prized prospect Brandon Mccarthy.

Schmidt's now-former teammate J.T. Snow spoke in an interview with ESPN Radio.

"The two of us had lockers next to each other for the last 4 years," Snow said. "You kind of figure something like this is going to happen, but it's not as much about losing a guy on your team, it's about losing one of your best friends."

I dont know where it came from but it looks legit unless someone is a very clever troll.

Kinda funny how they went in alphabetical order when deciding what player to use for the quote. Schmidt - Snow.

Why would J.T. "figure something like this is going to happen"? That makes absolutely no sense at all.

The White Sox rotation is revamped? Contreras and Garcia have been on the team for a year now and Mark and Jon have been here since 2000. The only real new guy is Duke.

Not even a good attempt to troll if you look closely enough.

Sun Times:

OAKLAND, Calif. -- The hot rumor as the series-ending loss to the Oakland Athletics came to a close Sunday was that the White Sox were getting set to announce they had acquired San Francisco Giants pitcher Jason Schmidt.

One Northern California newspaper was hot on the rumor's trail, looking for confirmation. Sox manager Ozzie Guillen laughed when approached with the information.

''Everybody is trying to get him,'' Guillen said.

With the trade deadline less than a month away, the Giants are said to be asking for a king's ransom for Schmidt. The Sox would be interested in adding him to their rotation, just not at the current asking price.

The Giants reportedly want at least two major-league-ready starters, plus a top-level prospect. They also are said to be looking for a proven starter closing in on his first free-agency year, but the only Sox starter even close to fitting that description is Jon Garland, and the newly named All-Star likely isn't going anywhere.

As of now, the Sox are ready to proceed with what they have. A team representative said last week that not much is available on the trade market, and what is available is too expensive.

Guillen said the Sox will open the second half with a rotation of Jose Contreras, Freddy Garcia, Mark Buehrle, Garland and Orlando Hernandez.

''Garland, Buehrle and Garcia will face the [AL Central] division more than the rest of the guys,'' Guillen said.

''[Pitching coach Don] Cooper did a good job looking ahead for the matchups.''

Doug Padilla

Just wish all this Schmidt crap would blow over already. If theres something we need for this team to succeed, it is NOT a starting pitcher struggling with his WHIP and ERA. And doing so in a much better pitchers park than the Cell is.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 06:19 AM)
Just wish all this Schmidt crap would blow over already. If theres something we need for this team to succeed, it is NOT a starting pitcher struggling with his WHIP and ERA. And doing so in a much better pitchers park than the Cell is.

The thing about Schmidt is that he's a high risk - high reward type of guy. Where's John Montefusco when we need him?

I don't feel like reading 15 pages to look for 1 answer.

What exactly did Billy Wagner say about his teammates that has all of Philly pissed off at him? Some people are suggesting he'd be a good fit for the Sox. Given KW's fear of ruining the clubhouse chemistry, do you think he'd consider him after this incident? I know AJ had about the worst rep before he got here and he's worked out fine.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 09:18 AM)
I don't feel like reading 15 pages to look for 1 answer.

What exactly did Billy Wagner say about his teammates that has all of Philly pissed off at him? Some people are suggesting he'd be a good fit for the Sox. Given KW's fear of ruining the clubhouse chemistry, do you think he'd consider him after this incident? I know AJ had about the worst rep before he got here and he's worked out fine.

The way I interpreted the fallout from Wagners comments is that management is pissed at Wagner for giving up on the season. It wasnt like what he was saying wasnt true,

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/base...lies.wagner.ap/

"I think it's the truth," Wagner said. "The way we're playing now, if anybody's fool enough to think we're a playoff team the way we're playing right now, they're crazy. We haven't played well. It doesn't have anything to do with us not working hard or playing hard. We're not getting it done. No, we're not a playoff team right now."

Is that clubhouse cancer egocentrenric material? Not in my eyes, this just looks like a guy who is frustrated because his team isnt playing as well as he thought they would, and he left a good team to get there.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 04:14 PM)
More and more it sounds like nobody has faith in Contreras or Duque.

Why should he? Contreras last 3 starts have been bad. And El-duque is spending his 2nd stint on the 15 day DL. Of course he's going to go with the 3 guys who have been reliable all season long. How about a 4th of July present for us Sox fans KW!!

Contreras and prospect for Schmidt. I dont care if Schmidt isn't better than our big 3- he is at least better than our lower 2. A new surrounding and a new league will benefit Schmidt- kind of like it did for Clemens.

The one thing that worries me about Schmidt is what was his relationship like with AJ last season? Its obvious SF hates A.J. and if Schmidt had something to do with it than there is no way KW makes this deal.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 04:14 PM)
More and more it sounds like nobody has faith in Contreras or Duque.

You're damn right no one has faith in Contreras and EL Duque. Contreras has been awful lately and Duque has been on the DL twice now. How could anyone have faith in them? We need another starter before July 30th.

QUOTE(BigNDfan80 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 10:50 AM)
You're damn right no one has faith in Contreras and EL Duque.  Contreras has been awful lately and Duque has been on the DL twice now.  How could anyone have faith in them?  We need another starter before July 30th.

Going into our August schedule scares me a lot if El Duque and Contreras are our 4/5...

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 10:47 AM)
Why should he? Contreras last 3 starts have been bad. And El-duque is spending his 2nd stint on the 15 day DL. Of course he's going to go with the 3 guys who have been reliable all season long. How about a 4th of July present for us Sox fans KW!!

Contreras and prospect for Schmidt. I dont care if Schmidt isn't better than our big 3- he is at least better than our lower 2. A new surrounding and a new league will benefit Schmidt- kind of like it did for Clemens.

The one thing that worries me about Schmidt is what was his relationship like with AJ last season?  Its obvious SF hates A.J. and if Schmidt had something to do with it than there is no way KW makes this deal.

If in fact there is a deal in place, this could be the one factor that is keping KW from pulling the trigger on it IMO.

Edited by sayitaintso

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 12:28 PM)
If in fact there is a deal in place, this could be the one factor that is keping KW from pulling the trigger on it IMO.

AJ might have been a positive influence on Schmidt. I am pretty sure Schmidt isn't one of the pitchers who had a problem with him.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)
Loiza + Bmac + Tracey is more like it.

I'm trying to think of a mid-level position player who might be included. KW DO NOT INCLUDE CHRIS YOUNG!!!

I hope they want Sweeney.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 08:17 AM)
Does anyone have ESPN insider? This is coming up on the rumor section today:

Rumor Central: Schmidt doesn't want to be traded

fROM ESPN INSIDER ABOUT SCHMIDT

About Schmidt

Everybody is trying to get Jason Schmidt, but according to the Chicago Sun-Times, the Giants are asking for a king's ransom at least two major-league-ready starters, plus a top-level prospect. They also are said to be looking for a proven starter closing in on his first free-agency year.

Schmidt wants to remain with Giants, the San Francisco Chronicle reports. "I don't want to be traded," he told the newspaper. "This is the team I want to play with. What are you going to do? I can't control that stuff. I don't enjoy seeing [trade rumors]. We've had good teams here. To hear that kind of stuff is definitely disappointing."

The Giants have downplayed talk of a Schmidt trade, but the right-hander has not been assured by either GM Brian Sabean or assistant GM Ned Colletti that he wouldn't get dealt. "Maybe they really don't know," said Schmidt. "I just have to assume there has to be some validity to some of this stuff if there are [scouts] in the stands. Obviously, no one's been told no way, so that's how I look at it."

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 02:11 PM)
if they want 2 mlb level starting pitchers in return forget it. They'll probably ask for Jon G and McCarthy in return. Yea right like KW would do something sooo stupid as that.

Of course they're gonna start the bidding high, and other GM's will make counter offers. I doubt they actually expect to get that much for him.