New Gammons Article

Mr. Showtime

• How unpredictable are relievers? Take the Baseball Prospectus Reliever Expected Runs chart which rates the performances, and the top 20 relievers in baseball, in order, are Cliff Politte, Chris Hammond, Jesse Crain, Chad Cordero, Huston Street, Roberto Hernandez, Al Reyes, Pete Walker, Todd Jones, B.J. Ryan, Danys Baez, John Grabow, Matt Miller, Scott Eyre, Hector Carrasco, Mike Timlin, Rudy Seanez, Rafael Betancourt, Jay Witasick and Lance Cormier.
:gosox3: :headbang :cheers

Here's a little caution for you Schmidt lovers (and I am one).

Two teams, the White Sox and Orioles, sent scouts to Arizona on Tuesday specifically to see Schmidt; all the other scouts were on regular coverage. The Giants say they have to be "overwhelmed" to trade him, especially with the fact that they've crept back into the race and might get Bonds back in a month. "He was just OK," says one scout who was there. "He isn't close to what he once was. He touched 93, but it wasn't explosive. His changeup is good, but he doesn't throw his breaking ball any more. He's good, but he's not dominant."

I still want him, though.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 09:29 PM)
Jurassic is the man for sure.

However, I said it in the chat, and I'll say it here. I guess Gammons hasn't heard what Carl thinks of him. :P

What did Everett say about Gammons?

If it was anything about being an old, red-sox-loving bastard that is ignorant in the sport of baseball, then he was right.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 09:35 PM)
Here's a little caution for you Schmidt lovers (and I am one).

Two teams, the White Sox and Orioles, sent scouts to Arizona on Tuesday specifically to see Schmidt; all the other scouts were on regular coverage. The Giants say they have to be "overwhelmed" to trade him, especially with the fact that they've crept back into the race and might get Bonds back in a month. "He was just OK," says one scout who was there. "He isn't close to what he once was. He touched 93, but it wasn't explosive. His changeup is good, but he doesn't throw his breaking ball any more. He's good, but he's not dominant."

I still want him, though.

Why? Everything thus far says trading him is a mistake. In the gigantor trade thread, I think most of us agreed that we should take the scout's word for his value. Apparently, it's pretty low. Schmidt is a shell of himself. He won't help us.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 09:45 PM)
What did Everett say about Gammons?

If it was anything about being an old, red-sox-loving bastard that is ignorant in the sport of baseball, then he was right.

He was making a crack about Gammons being gay. ;)

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 02:46 AM)
The part about  Schmidt is a definite turn off.  Anybody been keeping up with his most recent outings?

6/11 - Cleveland - 5 IP, 6 H, 6 R(6 ER), 3 BB, 7 K

6/17 - @Detroit - 8 IP, 7 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K

6/22 - Arizona - 8 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 10 K

6/28 - @Arizona - 6 IP, 9 H, 3 R(3 ER), 3 BB, 6 K

Definately can't like his WHIP of 2 in his last start.

I don't think trading for him would be wise at all, unless the package was understandably cheap. The risk/reward is far, far too great for me atleast to consider making the deal for what you'd have to give up. The reward is huge...he returns to dominance of 03, or atleast returns to being very good, ala 02 and 04, and it would be a crying shame if we didn't win the series(because with a 1-4 of Buehrle-Garcia-Schmidt-Garland in any order, you have no reason to lose any type of series). The risk is could be far greater though...giving up 2 top prospects for what could a disaster...Schmidt being worse than Duque, along with the Sox being stuck with an unbelievably bad contract while hurting in the future for young players.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 03:09 AM)
6/11 - Cleveland - 5 IP, 6 H, 6 R(6 ER), 3 BB, 7 K

6/17 - @Detroit - 8 IP, 7 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K

6/22 - Arizona - 8 IP, 5 H, 0  R, 2 BB, 10 K

6/28 - @Arizona - 6 IP, 9 H, 3 R(3 ER), 3 BB, 6 K

Definately can't like his WHIP of 2 in his last start. 

I don't think trading for him would be wise at all, unless the package was understandably cheap.  The risk/reward is far, far too great for me atleast to consider making the deal for what you'd have to give up.  The reward is huge...he returns to dominance of 03, or atleast returns to being very good, ala 02 and 04, and it would be a crying shame if we didn't win the series(because with a 1-4 of Buehrle-Garcia-Schmidt-Garland in any order, you have no reason to lose any type of series).  The risk is could be far greater though...giving up 2 top prospects for what could a disaster...Schmidt being worse than Duque, along with the Sox being stuck with an unbelievably bad contract while hurting in the future for young players.

The contract isn't that big of a deal, he has a team option after this year with a 3 or 3.5 mill buyout.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 03:12 AM)
The contract isn't that big of a deal, he has a team option after this year with a 3 or 3.5 mill buyout.

at that point we've given up two top prospects or more for half a season of a pitcher that's potentially worse than the one we've got.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 08:20 AM)
at that point we've given up two top prospects or more for half a season of a pitcher that's potentially worse than the one we've got.

... Or ... potentially the difference between a world series win or an early playoff exit. Potential can go both ways.

I dont like the Schmidt trade because i dont want to give up our farm for a guy past his prime,but i will say this the cuban connection MUST GO iam tired of seeing walks walks and a blast so if iam KW i would go after AJ Burnett and make a run at Billiy Wagner and somehow trade Contreras and marte and some prospects.

Sorry folks, but if we have the chance to snag Jason Schmidt, we need to do it. That bumps Contreras into the pen for the post-season. Having more than 5 reliable starting pitchers in the play-offs can do wonders for a ball club. Look at the Red Sox last year, they had Derek Lowe and Bronson Arroyo coming out of the pen until later in the ALCS!

Getting Schmidt would only bolster our rotation even more, a change of scenery may also be what Schmidt needs to get him back on track. I love Brandon McCarthy but there is no way you can rely on him to be solid in the post-season, let alone in consecutive starts.

We need to get Jason Schmidt.

CWSOX45

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 09:40 AM)
Sorry folks, but if we have the chance to snag Jason Schmidt, we need to do it. That bumps Contreras into the pen for the post-season. Having more than 5 reliable starting pitchers in the play-offs can do wonders for a ball club. Look at the Red Sox last year, they had Derek Lowe and Bronson Arroyo coming out of the pen until later in the ALCS!

Getting Schmidt would only bolster our rotation even more, a change of scenery may also be what Schmidt needs to get him back on track. I love Brandon McCarthy but there is no way you can rely on him to be solid in the post-season, let alone in consecutive starts.

We need to get Jason Schmidt.

CWSOX45

And just like Arroyo and Lowe, Count and Duque will be in the bullpen. Only reason why Lowe even got a shot was because of Schilling's injury. Else he would've been in the bullpen the whole time. Schmidt in his current state isn't going to help us more than Count or El Duque.

QUOTE(C_LEE45 @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 08:53 AM)
I dont like the Schmidt trade because i dont want to give up our farm for a guy past his prime,but  i will say this the cuban connection MUST GO iam tired of seeing walks walks and a blast so if iam KW i would go after AJ Burnett and make a run at Billiy Wagner and somehow trade Contreras and marte and some prospects.

I remember people saying that Chavez won't get back to his norm, but he's just about there now. Just saying that some players are proven talents and you can't judge them on a small sample size.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
I remember people saying that Chavez won't get back to his norm, but he's just about there now.  Just saying that some players are proven talents and you can't judge them on a small sample size.

Chavez is 28 years old and had 1 1/3 bad years anyone who said that he wouldn't get back to form is f***ing retarded.

The difference between Schmidt and Chavez is first of all age. Chavez is 5 years younger than Schmidt and has never been injured, he was just underperforming. Schmidt on the other hand is a 32 year old pitcher with arm problems. The guy doesn't have the same velocity that he once had and because of that he is no longer the dominating pitcher he once was. However what the Giants would want for him is a package equivalent to if he was still a Cy Young calebor pitcher.