New Gammons Article

Mr. Showtime

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 11:06 AM)
Chavez is 28 years old and had 1 1/3 bad years anyone who said that he wouldn't get back to form is f***ing retarded.

The difference between Schmidt and Chavez is first of all age. Chavez is 5 years younger than Schmidt and has never been injured, he was just underperforming. Schmidt on the other hand is a 32 year old pitcher with arm problems. The guy doesn't have the same velocity that he once had and because of that he is no longer the dominating pitcher he once was. However what the Giants would want for him is a package equivalent to if he was still a Cy Young calebor pitcher.

Exactly. You have to examine the cause of their problems. Chavez's was that he was a career slow starter and he was receiving minimal protection in the line-up behind him. Schmidt's was an injury to perhaps the most important body part for a pitcher: the arm.

Don't just look at the numbers, look at the cause of those numbers.

If our scouts are telling us that Schmidt isn't going to return to form, then I have to trust their information and believe that a trade involving top prospects or major league players is not worth it.

QUOTE(wsox08 @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 11:16 PM)
Let's go McCarthy... We need you as a #5 tomorrow.... If he has his stuff working, that's a big if, then he can be great like in the minors..

He's sucked in the minors this year.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 10:40 AM)
Sorry folks, but if we have the chance to snag Jason Schmidt, we need to do it. That bumps Contreras into the pen for the post-season. Having more than 5 reliable starting pitchers in the play-offs can do wonders for a ball club. Look at the Red Sox last year, they had Derek Lowe and Bronson Arroyo coming out of the pen until later in the ALCS!

Getting Schmidt would only bolster our rotation even more, a change of scenery may also be what Schmidt needs to get him back on track. I love Brandon McCarthy but there is no way you can rely on him to be solid in the post-season, let alone in consecutive starts.

We need to get Jason Schmidt.

CWSOX45

I wouldnt put contreras in the pen, id put el duque in the pen if anybody

theres always room for more bmacs, if we get rid of him its no the end of the world, someone else will step it up in the minors "lance broadway"

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 11:38 PM)
I wouldnt put contreras in the pen, id put el duque in the pen if anybody

theres always room for more bmacs, if we get rid of him its no the end of the world, someone else will step it up in the minors "lance broadway"

Might I ask who? And if you say Lance Broadway I'll hit you in the mouth.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 08:20 AM)
at that point we've given up two top prospects or more for half a season of a pitcher that's potentially worse than the one we've got.

potentially worse than what?? BMAC or EL Duque's hurt arm???