JON EFFING GARLAND

NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
The White Sox will probably give him a new contract over the offseason and forget about arbitration. He'll get his 3 year deal at the end of the season.

No doubt the Sox would be willing to sign Garland to a 3-year contract. The question is would Garland except such a contract? I say he'd rather go to arbitration and take a one year deal worth whatever the arbitrator feels he's worth.

Didn't an arbitrator give Ben Davis $1mil last offseason?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
No doubt the Sox would be willing to sign Garland to a 3-year contract. The question is would Garland except such a contract? I say he'd rather go to arbitration and take a one year deal worth whatever the arbitrator feels he's worth.

Didn't an arbitrator give Ben Davis $1mil last offseason?

I think we just gave him the 1 million, and it has proven to be a waste of a million.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
I think we just gave him the 1 million, and it has proven to be a waste of a million.

You're right we did sign Ben Davis and at the time the team thought he was going to be the primary catcher. He made $1.4 mil last year so he actually got a pay cut.

5 yrs $50 million sounds good . Yea I know Reinsdorf doesnt like doing more then 3 yrs on a pitcher. He should make an exception here . Jon has no history of arm problems and is entering prime pitching years. If the Sox are serious about all this "family stuff" (i.e. coaches who are all ex -sox) then prove it and give Garland and for that matter Buehrle 5 yr deals.