Loaiza knows a winner when he sees one

greasywheels121

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-loaiza03.html

Loaiza knows a winner when he sees one

BY MICHAEL O'BRIEN

Esteban Loaiza's magical 2003 season with the White Sox is just a fond memory now. He set career highs in every category and finished second to the Toronto Blue Jays' Roy Halladay in the Cy Young Award voting.

Loaiza's former Sox teammates have captured some magic of their own this season -- and that doesn't surprise him a bit.

"When I was there, we were capable of playing like they are now,'' Loaiza said. "We just had a couple of injuries, a couple of people who weren't going along. I think [Ozzie] Guillen's doing a great job. He's doing the right stuff for the boys down there on the South Side. They're in first place -- he's a winner.''

Going from the Sox to the New York Yankees last season and now to the Washington Nationals, Loaiza has plenty of experience with winning teams the last three seasons.

"I talk to a couple of the guys on the Sox,'' Loaiza said. "They know what they need to do to play good ball now. They're playing exactly how they should, doing the little things. Just like we are here.''

The Nationals are leading the National League East and have the best home record in the majors. Loaiza has been a large part of their success after bouncing back from a rough stint with the Yankees. He has produced quality starts in 12 of his 16 outings, winning three of his last four.

"The spirit here is the same as it was with the White Sox,'' Loaiza said. "We have a lot of fun, and we win games.

"I've been throwing a lot of innings. I'm close to 100 before the half, and I still have two more starts to go. I just want to keep doing what I've been doing.''

Loaiza doesn't think the Nationals' success at home is a reaction to their nomadic days as the Montreal Expos. It's a matter of talent.

"It's a new team this year,'' Loaiza said. "We got [Jose] Guillen, [Vinny] Castilla, myself, Hector Carrasco -- a lot of young guys with talent. Everything just clicks well at home, we play good ball there.''

In just one season, Loaiza went from runner-up in the Cy Young voting to an outcast on the Yankees. He had a good first half for the White Sox last year, winning eight games and making the All-Star team. But things fell apart after the Sox traded him to the Yankees for Jose Contreras.

Loaiza was 1-2 with an 8.50 ERA for the Yankees. He made six starts before he was moved to the bullpen -- leading many to believe his success in 2003 was a fluke.

"I didn't have much of an opportunity in New York,'' Loaiza said. "They moved me to the bullpen, and I didn't pitch much for about a month.''

Loaiza regained some respect with a stellar performance in the playoffs. He had a 1.08 ERA in three postseason appearances.

"I did a great job,'' Loaiza said. "I pitched like I'm capable of pitching, and I proved what I could do like I did in 2003. After the season, I started looking for a new job and landed here in Washington.''

Loaiza's win over the Pittsburgh Pirates on Thursday gave him 103 career wins, second-best all-time among Mexican-born players. Former Dodgers sensation Fernando Valenzuela leads with 173.

"That's a big deal, a big thing for me and the whole country of Mexico,'' Loaiza said. "Valenzuela was a hero of mine. I tied his record of 21 wins in a season two years ago with the White Sox. So it's nice to have that connection.''

With the Sox and Nationals leading their divisions, it's natural to think the possibility of a World Series start at U.S. Cellular Field might have crossed Loaiza's mind.

"No, no, no, it's way too early to talk about that. We haven't finished half of the season yet,'' Loaiza said. "I guess we'll see at the end. You never know, though. It could happen.''

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 10:22 AM)
I agree with you guys and i'm glad no idiots have decided to flame him. He really was a great suprise for us. Without him 2003 would of been so much worse then it was.

Personally speaking 2003 was the worse season I can remember. Never have I been so excited about a Sox team. That team was built for greatness and failed. I shudder whenever I think of that team.

But damn did I love watching Elo deal that year. It was a thing of beauty and he's such a class act. :notworthy

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 10:38 AM)
I wonder if he still wears the shirt...  :blink:  :wacko:  :lol:

post-2-1075779491.jpg

Boz told me he hasn't showered since that photo was taken. He didn't want to lose the ora of Elo :P

But Elo's shirt = total ugliness...its what he uses to scare the opponents.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 03:10 PM)
Boz told me he hasn't showered since that photo was taken.  He didn't want to lose the ora of Elo  :P

Hell there's a blast from the past, thanks for digging that up!

:cheers

QUOTE(My Left White Sock @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 03:13 PM)
I wouldn't mind having Loaiza in the four spot instead of Contreras.  I still don't get that deal, taking on a guy with no record of success and a big contract.

They (NYY) are paying a portion of the deal I believe.

Plus Loaiza looked horrible last year, was going to be a FA and Kenny figured he's take Jose based on his stuff and the possibility that he would thrive outside of the NY spotlight.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 01:10 PM)
Boz told me he hasn't showered since that photo was taken.  He didn't want to lose the ora of Elo  :P

How about that hat!!! Good for signing but not for wearing!! :usa

I loved when he was going to the dugout and would tip his cap! :wub: Class act!

QUOTE(That funky motion @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 03:16 PM)
How about that hat!!! Good for signing but not for wearing!! :usa

I loved when he was going to the dugout and would tip his cap! :wub:  Class act!

Not my hat, I got the jersey signed.

As of now, there's about 28 signatures on it.

At last check here was the list of who's signed "The Jersey":

- Thomas, Konerko, Podsednik, Dye, Pierzynski, Crede, Harris, Rowand, Dransfeldt, Reed, Borchard, Guillen, Kusnyer, Baines, Cora, Adkins, Buehrle, Garland, Gload, Everett, Wunsch, Sanders, Burke, Wright, Valentin, Loaiza, Olivo, Raines.

Still got some work to do before framing it.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 11:22 AM)
Not my hat, I got the jersey signed.

As of now, there's about 28 signatures on it.

At last check here was the list of who's signed "The Jersey":

- Thomas, Konerko, Podsednik, Dye, Pierzynski, Crede, Harris, Rowand, Dransfeldt, Reed, Borchard, Guillen, Kusnyer, Baines, Cora, Adkins, Buehrle, Garland, Gload, Everett, Wunsch, Sanders, Burke, Wright, Valentin, Loaiza, Olivo, Raines.

Still got some work to do before framing it.

Next tailgate I'll sign it for you too Boz...than it will be ready for the frame :P

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 03:23 PM)
Next tailgate I'll sign it for you too Boz...than it will be ready for the frame  :P

Talk about quick value depreciation.

That'd be a prime example. :P

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 03:25 PM)
Just have Kevin Walker sign it, that way mine will be the 2nd best on the jersey  :cheers

Probably one of the few I wouldn't let sign it, that's for damn sure.

I'll probably just keep getting it signed until it can't handle anymore.

I still need Politte, Marte, Shingo, Hermanson, Uribe, Ozuna, Garcia, El Duque, B-Mac and Contreras among others.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 02:27 PM)
Probably one of the few I wouldn't let sign it, that's for damn sure.

Haha, just imagine yourself in a line to get the jersey signed. There's Politte, Marte, and Walker at the table. Cliff and Damaso sign it and just as Walker reaches to sign it, you pull it away and say "no thanks."

That would be hilarious.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 02:14 PM)
They (NYY) are paying a portion of the deal I believe.

Plus Loaiza looked horrible last year, was going to be a FA and Kenny figured he's take Jose based on his stuff and the possibility that he would thrive outside of the NY spotlight.

From what I heard NY only paid the difference in their salaries for the remainder of the '04 season. And as horrible as Loaiza looked, its not like Contreras was any better.

QUOTE(My Left White Sock @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 01:13 PM)
I wouldn't mind having Loaiza in the four spot instead of Contreras.  I still don't get that deal, taking on a guy with no record of success and a big contract.

I wish Esteban the best and I'd be glad to face him this year :D however I do believe he'd be much worse then Contreras if he was still around.