All Encompassing All Star Game Thread

YASNY

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I must work today so I will not be around when they announce the players. I'll be home around 10:00 so I can b**** about who got snubbed and how stupid the whole thing is, even though it's just a stupid exhibition game that means nothing, I know it's stupid.

The thing I'm most curious about is the SP of the game for the AL, and I'm pretty sure we don't find that out until later in the week.

Also, Milkman Delivers deserves a little dap. This was his idea to have an All-Star game thread. It'll really keep things all in one place on the topic everyone's going to want to talk about.

My prediction:

Buehrle and Garland are the two selections from the Sox.

I wish Pods could make it, but he seems like a long shot. Hermy and Konerko are possibilities as well. I surely hope we have more than two though.

Rumors around baseball are that Roy Halladay will start the All-Star game for the American League. Eventhough I am a Sox fan, I believe that Buehrle or Garland should start because they both have better stats then Halladay. Who knows, one of the two Sox pitchers will start the game. But for now everyone in baseball is all over Halladay and have blinders on to Buehrle and Garland. Ozzie said in the news he would prefer that no White Sox pitcher start the All-Star game, beacuase it would mess up the rotation. Garland will make his first All-Star game this year and Buehrle will be in his, I'm guessing, his 5th game. Lets hope Franconna comes to his senses and picks the right pitcher to start the game that will determine if the Sox will have home-field advantage come October.

Edited by wilmot825

Prediction: Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland and one of Hermy/Politte will make it.

Sexson will get the backup 1st base spot over Pauly because he's the bigger name.

If it were any other manager for the AL team we would have 3 guys from our starting rotation in the game but since it's Francona we won't be seeing Freddy.

All of this talk in the media about Podsednik possibly making the team has me thinking. There is about a 1000:1 shot.

One more thing Francona gets to pick 1 position player that player with out a doubt in my mind will be Johnny Damon.

QUOTE(wilmot825 @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 01:26 PM)
Rumors around baseball are that Roy Halladay will start the All-Star game for the American League. Eventhough I am a Sox fan, I believe that Buehrle or Garland should start because they both have better stats then Halladay. Who knows, one of the two Sox pitchers will start the game. But for now everyone in baseball is all over Halladay and have blinders on to Buehrle and Garland. Ozzie said in the news he would prefer that no White Sox pitcher start the All-Star game, beacuase it would mess up the rotation. Garland will make his first All-Star game this year and Buehrle will be in his, I'm guessing, his 5th game. Lets hope Franconna comes to his senses and picks the right pitcher to start the game that will determine if the Sox will have home-field advantage come October.

Ummm... NO

Thought I'd dig this up for anyone who thinks Halladay has better stats than Buehrle.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 12:37 PM)
2005 Statistical Breakdow, Buehrle Vs. Halladay.

Halladay - W:11, L:4, ERA:2.4, CG:5, SHO:2, H:107, BB:16, SO:98, WHIP:0.94, OPSA:.577, BAA:.222, K/BB:5.44, BB/9:1.10, K/9:6.73, H9:7.35

Buehrle - W:10, L:1, ERA:2.42, CG:2, SHO:1, H:110, BB:17, SO:79, WHIP:1.04, OPSA:.594, BAA:.242, K/BB:4.16 BB/9:1.25, K/9: 5.80, H9:8.07

I'm just wondering if anyone can look at these stats and tell me that Buehrle is more deserving than Halladay.

It's ultra close in EVER SINGLE category. So it really is a toss up, however if you really want the more deserving pitcher to start you have to go with Halladay.

Just for the record as a Sox fan I would love to see Buehrle start the AS game but as a Baseball fan I just can't rationalize it.

We should be happy if Buehrle and Jon don't start it gives them more rest and less stress.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 01:32 PM)
Uhhh huh... Seriously who cares. We're talking about a game thats more then likely going to feature such great talent as Tino Martinez...

It's a joke. Remember who we send last year. Loazia. A mediocre Loazia at that.

Martinez won't make the team. Teixeira/Sweeney/possibly Sexson.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 01:38 PM)
Good that's the way it should be.

I've been working like crazy the past couple day, havn't seen any updated vote standings.

Eckstein and DLee won their positions for the NL according to FOX yesterday

QUOTE(wilmot825 @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 02:26 PM)
Buehrle will be in his, I'm guessing, his 5th game.

This will be his second time.

He was also selected in 2002 when the game was in Milwaukee, where he gave up a run.

QUOTE(wilmot825 @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 10:26 AM)

I don't care who starts to be honest. I'd just as well let Halladay start cause he can throw a few more innings and Buehrle or Jon can come in for an inning instead of 2 or 3.

In fact, I wouldnt' complain if neither of them pitched in the game and were held out.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jul 3, 2005 -> 12:55 PM)
The thing I'm most curious about is the SP of the game for the AL, and I'm pretty sure we don't find that out until later in the week.

Also, Milkman Delivers deserves a little dap.  This was his idea to have an All-Star game thread.  It'll really keep things all in one place on the topic everyone's going to want to talk about.

Just had the idea after seeing the trade thread. Thought it'd keep the place a little neater.

My prediction:

Buehrle and Garland are the two selections from the Sox.

I wish Pods could make it, but he seems like a long shot. Hermy and Konerko are possibilities as well. I surely hope we have more than two though.

I completely agree with this.

As I type this, Roy Halladay is taking a dump on the Red Sox. He's at about 90 pitches through 7 innings, giving up 1 run on 5 hits. Since Terry Francona has a front row seat to this, I'm all but convinced that Halladay is starting the ASG. I think that takes care of that controversy.