Notes: Second-half rotation set up

greasywheels121

I'm having a little trouble deciphering this. Can someone figure out how we're going to work the rotation after the break? I just hope Duque and Contreras are now split up.

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/ar...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Notes: Second-half rotation set up

Contreras to start Thursday in Detroit

By CJ Bowles / MLB.com

OAKLAND -- White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen and pitching coach Donald Cooper have decided upon a tentative pitching rotation that will pick up after the All-Star break.

Jose Contreras is slated to begin Chicago's four-game series in Cleveland on Thursday. Following him will be Freddy Garcia, Mark Buehrle and Jon Garland. Then, opening the home series against the Tigers will be Orlando Hernandez.

If Hernandez is not ready to start, Monday's starter Brandon McCarthy would likely start in his place. Hernandez has not pitched since June 14 because of tightness in his right shoulder.

"We want to make sure the guys don't get too many days off and the matchups work out well for us," said Guillen, who praised Cooper for his good job of mapping out the rotation. "I think Garcia, Garland and Buehrle are going to pitch against our division more than the rest of the guys."

The three top White Sox pitchers held a combined record of 31-7 this season before Buehrle's start Sunday and none ranked lower than eighth in ERA in the American League.

The rotation also sets up well should Buehrle or Garland make the All-Star team.

"The All-Star Game showed up in the right place for us because [buehrle and Garland] can pitch an inning or two there and then it makes it easier for us to start Contreras," Guillen said.

Garland's usual day in the rotation falls on the same day as Tuesday's All-Star Game, while Buehrle would be pitching on four days' rest.

When asked, Buehrle said that pitching in the game would not be a problem and that he could treat it as a bullpen day between starts.

Coming off his league-leading 13th win Saturday, Garland agreed that pitching in the Midsummer Classic would not cause a conflict with the schedule that he is used to between starts, although he is anxious to get the second half of the season started.

"My main concern is getting back to the season," Garland said. "This is the team I'm playing for, the team I'm pitching for and the team I want to go out and compete for."

Guillen said that he and Cooper have penciled in their starters for the majority of the rest of the season.

Quite a matchup: Sunday's game matched two of the most successful left-handed starters in the Majors since the 2001 season. Buehrle's 75 wins led all lefties and tied him with Curt Schilling for third-most among all pitchers in that time. A's starter Barry Zito had been nearly as good, notching 69 wins, ranking him 12th overall and third among southpaws. Buehrle also led all pitchers in innings pitched during that span with 1,058 2/3.

Lefty success: The White Sox led the American League with a .302 batting average when facing left-handed pitchers this season. Last season, the team finished 12th in the league by hitting just .261 against southpaws, although they led the league in home runs against lefties with 78. Four Sox players ranked among the top 25 in the league against lefties this year by batting a combined .349 in 252 at-bats.

Frank and Eddie: Frank Thomas collected the 1,453rd RBI of his career Saturday night, tying him with Hall of Famer Eddie Mathews for 48th all-time. It took Mathews 2,324 games to compile his career RBI total while Thomas has played in just 1,946 games. Next on the list for Thomas is Ed Delahanty with 1,464.

Thomas surpassed Mathews on Sunday with his fourth-inning solo homer.

On deck: Chicago returns home to conclude the first half of the season with six home games. The Devil Rays begin the homestand Monday with three games and then the Athletics come to U.S. Cellular Field to round out the White Sox's first-half slate. McCarthy will start Monday against Hideo Nomo.

Second-half rotation set up

Contreras to start Thursday in Detroit

OAKLAND -- White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen and pitching coach Donald Cooper have decided upon a tentative pitching rotation that will pick up after the All-Star break.

Jose Contreras is slated to begin Chicago's four-game series in Cleveland on Thursday. Following him will be Freddy Garcia, Mark Buehrle and Jon Garland. Then, opening the home series against the Tigers will be Orlando Hernandez.

If Hernandez is not ready to start, Monday's starter Brandon McCarthy would likely start in his place. Hernandez has not pitched since June 14 because of tightness in his right shoulder.

"We want to make sure the guys don't get too many days off and the matchups work out well for us," said Guillen, who praised Cooper for his good job of mapping out the rotation. "I think Garcia, Garland and Buehrle are going to pitch against our division more than the rest of the guys."

The three top White Sox pitchers held a combined record of 31-7 this season before Buehrle's start Sunday and none ranked lower than eighth in ERA in the American League.

The rotation also sets up well should Buehrle or Garland make the All-Star team.

"The All-Star Game showed up in the right place for us because [buehrle and Garland] can pitch an inning or two there and then it makes it easier for us to start Contreras," Guillen said.

Garland's usual day in the rotation falls on the same day as Tuesday's All-Star Game, while Buehrle would be pitching on four days' rest.

When asked, Buehrle said that pitching in the game would not be a problem and that he could treat it as a bullpen day between starts.

Coming off his league-leading 13th win Saturday, Garland agreed that pitching in the Midsummer Classic would not cause a conflict with the schedule that he is used to between starts, although he is anxious to get the second half of the season started.

"My main concern is getting back to the season," Garland said. "This is the team I'm playing for, the team I'm pitching for and the team I want to go out and compete for."

Guillen said that he and Cooper have penciled in their starters for the majority of the rest of the season.