93 members have voted

1. 1. What pitcher should the sox get.

• Jason Schmidt (SF)
    • Ted Lilly (TOR)
    • Barry Zito (OAK)
    • Jason Jennings (COL)
    • Forget a pitcher, get Chavez!
    • No one

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 10:20 AM)
His price tag would be huge. It wouldn't just be prospects if he were available.

Oswalt would likely come at a cost similar to Garcia from last year: a young MLB (Crede), and two solid prospects (Anderson and somebody else). I think that'd be a pretty good deal, actually, if we had somebody who could play 3B in Crede's absense.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 04:33 PM)
Oswalt would likely come at a cost similar to Garcia from last year: a young MLB (Crede), and two solid prospects (Anderson and somebody else).  I think that'd be a pretty good deal, actually, if we had somebody who could play 3B in Crede's absense.

Joe Randa?

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 09:59 AM)
Is Andy really an improvement from El Duque?

Yes. He has somewhere around a 3.19ERA pitching in the juicebox. I honestly would rather see him too if it were a starting pitcher because I know we would have to give up loads to get Schmidt and not as much to get Andy. My first choice would also be Billy Wagner or Brad Lidge. We need someone who will just strike fear in opponents.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 10:33 AM)
Oswalt would likely come at a cost similar to Garcia from last year: a young MLB (Crede), and two solid prospects (Anderson and somebody else).  I think that'd be a pretty good deal, actually, if we had somebody who could play 3B in Crede's absense.

It would be a lot more than that.

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 11:11 AM)
Why? If we were able to use Crede to get Oswalt, Randa would serve his purpose.

First off, Houston has a good 3rd baseman, they won't want Crede. Secondly, the package suggested for Roy Oswalt is nowhere near what would be required to acquire him. Crede isn't going anywhere.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 09:03 AM)
It would be a lot more than that.

Ya, cause if thats all it took, I'd do the deal in a heartbeat and than give up Bmac and a few others to get Chavez :lol:

End dream.

Realistically to acquire Oswalt, you'd be talking about a package starting with Anderson, Bmac, one of Gio/Tracey/Etc and a midlevel guy.

On CLTV last nite they had a guy from the Sporting News and the way he was talking about it seemed like it was a done deal. He says he spoke to 2 Sox executives 1 said yes and the other said no comment yet. They didnt say who from the Sox would be going other than prospects. They say it will not be McCarthy or Anderson. There the 2 untouchables.

I saw this elsewhere and was going to post this over here. It sounds like the guy who started this (Coppock???) is saying he knows something no one else does and has essentially gotten some sort of verification from someone in the organization. The only question is whether he talked to someone totally in the know or if the person knows they are talking trade and may just feel its farther along than it really is.

I'll say one thing, there is definately some serious talk going on between the Sox and Giants but the Giants have a high price tag for Schmidt because they have the option of keeping him.

To go along with the quote above, I also read somewhere that Mark Gonzalez (the Sox beat writer for the Trib) was talking on a San Fran station earlier this week and said the Sox have told the Giants they can have anyone in the system but Anderson and Bmac.

The question is will that be enough for the Giants (Ie...Sweeney, Gio, Tracey, and another guy) or will the Giants hold off and see how badly Kenny wants Schmidt. The other question is if a deal goes down, what happens with Contreras/Duque cause one would be destine for the pen and it really doesn't make a lot of sense to give Duque that type of money from the pen.

Personally speaking, I'd say at one point or another the odds of Kenny acquiring a big name player are pretty good. He's agressive and knows he has a special team and this may be his only shot to bring a title to Chicago, so if someone's out there that will make this team that much better, he's going to do all he can to get it done.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 11:35 AM)
Realistically to acquire Oswalt, you'd be talking about a package starting with Anderson, Bmac, one of Gio/Tracey/Etc and a midlevel guy.

I'm not sure how that is that much different from the Crede, Anderson, good prospect trade I proposed.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 10:34 AM)
I'm not sure how that is that much different from the Crede, Anderson, good prospect trade I proposed.

They have Morgan Ensberg playing 3rd base, so they have absolutely no use for Joe Crede. Plus Kenny is not trading away Crede unless he's getting a better 3rd baseman in return.

The big reason though, like I said originally stems from Morgan Ensberg, whose young and is or should be an All Star (haven't even looked at the announced teams yet, but I'm assuming he made it).

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 10:36 AM)
I heard on the Score that Contreras would actually be included in a deal to get Schmidt (don't ask me why the Giants would want Contreras, unless the Sox ate his salary)  I don't really see that happening.

Actually this would make some sense. He'd go into a good pitchers park and the Sox wouldn't be tying up as much payroll. Basically the Giants would pick up two promising prospects and a promising starter so they could still get some immediate help.

Contreras is nowhere near as bad as some of you say he is. But I'd also assume the Sox may have to send a little cash his way. Plus if Jose is part of the deal it means there is no way in hell that Bmac is getting dealt.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 01:34 PM)
All I know is if he joins the team everyone will start throwing worse. We're going to look back on this as the end of the 2005 season. Maybe we can find Todd Ritche too (who more then likely has more gas in the tank then Schmidt.)

Jason Schmidt will be the end of us all!

Going to look a little more at his stats:

Schmidt has made 15 starts on the year and is 6-4 with a 5.11 ERA while sporting a WHIP of 1.59. However, he's still striking out guys at a 8.65 clip per nine innings which tells you aside from the velocity his stuff is there.

The big problem is right now he's walking guys at a higher clip. In a full season he'd probably walk 35 more guys this year than he did last year.

Now lets look at his past two seasons: 35-12 overall

2003 2.34 ERA

2004 3.20 ERA with 251 strikeouts in 225 innings (just 165 hits)

This guy is a total beast of a pitcher. The only question is whether he's 100%. If the Sox get a good medical report, you pick him up and see what a change of scenery can do. Plus he could be a little rusty.

However, I tend to think Schmidt is pitching hurt still.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)
Going to look a little more at his stats:

Schmidt has made 15 starts on the year and is 6-4 with a 5.11 ERA while sporting a WHIP of 1.59.  However, he's still striking out guys at a 8.65 clip per nine innings which tells you aside from the velocity his stuff is there. 

The big problem is right now he's walking guys at a higher clip.  In a full season he'd probably walk 35 more guys this year than he did last year. 

Now lets look at his past two seasons: 35-12 overall

2003 2.34 ERA

2004 3.20 ERA with 251 strikeouts in 225 innings (just 165 hits)

This guy is a total beast of a pitcher.  The only question is whether he's 100%.  If the Sox get a good medical report, you pick him up and see what a change of scenery can do.  Plus he could be a little rusty.

However, I tend to think Schmidt is pitching hurt still.

Schmidt would have to pass a White Sox team physical to complete the trade The Sox would find out if anything is wrong with Schmidt.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 12:41 PM)
Actually this would make some sense.  He'd go into a good pitchers park and the Sox wouldn't be tying up as much payroll.  Basically the Giants would pick up two promising prospects and a promising starter so they could still get some immediate help. 

Contreras is nowhere near as bad as some of you say he is.  But I'd also assume the Sox may have to send a little cash his way.  Plus if Jose is part of the deal it means there is no way in hell that Bmac is getting dealt.

Am I the only one who realizes that this will mean a rotation spot for either Felix Diaz or Jon Adkins WHEN (yes I said WHEN not IF) both Orlando Hernandez and Schmidt are on the DL down the stretch. The entire point of the trade is to get insurance for Orlando being on the DL. Not to go from having 4 decent starters to having 3.

This is our rotation a week after the Schmidt trade if Jose is in it.

Garland

Buherle

Garcia

BMAC

Adkins/Diaz

If he's not invovled at least BMAC can still be the 5th starter when their both on the DL.

Sorry my Schmidt is a bad idea and I hope Kenny listens to the scouts and not a bunch of people who happen to think it's still 2003. Because 2005 Schmidt makes no sense for us to trade for.

I think you guys aren't really understanding my position on this trade. If it's Jason Schmidt for any of our prospects that aresn't considered top prospects i'm fine with it. However you don't trade Jose because he has had 3 or 4 bad starts in a row so you can add 2 total question marks in the rotation. Believe it or not Jose is not that bad.

I'd be in favor of the trade as long as it doesn't make our rotation weaker in the long run. There is no sense replacing Jose when we have no other insurance policy if Hernandez gets hurt again, and he will. Then KW will really have to pay out the nose for another mediocore starter.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 12:41 PM)
Actually this would make some sense.  He'd go into a good pitchers park and the Sox wouldn't be tying up as much payroll.  Basically the Giants would pick up two promising prospects and a promising starter so they could still get some immediate help. 

Contreras is nowhere near as bad as some of you say he is.  But I'd also assume the Sox may have to send a little cash his way.  Plus if Jose is part of the deal it means there is no way in hell that Bmac is getting dealt.

Jose has the tools. Anyone that would question that is foolish. A 95 mph fastball with a knee buckling forkball. The problem is that Jose for whatever mental reason does not want to throw his fastball the minute someone hits it. People are going to hit a fastball no matter how good it is. You still have to challenge the hitters. Jose for the last month and for the majority of his career has crawled into his shell the minute someone turns on his fastball. Then he starts to shake off hitters. He was once demoted in the Yanks organization all the way back to single A so he could work on his confidence and not to tip pitches with Billy Connors. This is a problem that keeps reoccuring. Its pretty sad, if anyone else had this amount of raw talent they would be dominating the league. However for whatever mental block Conteras will be this up and down pitcher until he comes over this fear of using his good stuff. We have seen when he dominates he doesnt shake off pitches, works a bit faster and just throws what is put up there. When he is bad, he shakes off everything, and wants to throw his forkball only. Then he walks, hits people or gets into hitters counts and puts himself into real danger.

Everyone is counting on the 3 man rotation in the playoffs. How many teams use a three man rotation throughout the playoffs. Yes for the first series you can do that. But in the ALCS you will need 4 starters.

I think even throwing 92-94 Jason Schmidt is a better fit for the whitesox for this year and challenging in the playoffs. He throws strikes and will let this defense that sits behind him make plays. He will not walk the world and get completely lost.

I dont want to give up BMAC though, he is insurance this year and for next. If we cant give up Conteras and another prospect for Schmidt I would do it in a second.

I however would probably rather have AJ Burnett if it is just going to be a rental.