4th of July Game Thread Sox vs. DRays

bjm676

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 02:12 AM)
:crying  :huh  Why can't any of our prospects give us some consistent solid efforts??

Because we don't seem to draft guys with good stuff. For some reason, we're content with drafting guys who only have two pitches, and can't throw over 91 mph. That's my biggest concern with Broadway.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 09:14 PM)
BTW, Detroit's top prospect Justin Verlander came up and threw five and a third innings giving up four runs.

So, it's not just our top prospects coming up and getting hit around.

Well, when he does it 5 straight starts, then I'll feel better.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 02:14 AM)
BTW, Detroit's top prospect Justin Verlander came up and threw five and a third innings giving up four runs.

So, it's not just our top prospects coming up and getting hit around.

That was also his MLB debut against a great Indians hitting team right now. McCarthy has now struggled against KC and TB.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 02:14 AM)
Because we don't seem to draft guys with good stuff.  For some reason, we're content with drafting guys who only have two pitches, and can't throw over 91 mph.  That's my biggest concern with Broadway.

So, who should we have taken at #15? Don't say Carrillo, either...

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
:crying  :huh  Why can't any of our prospects give us some consistent solid efforts??

Because he's not ready, at least not at the Cell. He'd have success in a pitcher's park though.

Guest JimH

He is not locating well, nor is he using the changeup. He's throwing whatever Pierzynski is calling and hasn't shaken him off once. The location on his fastball is not good and the breaking ball location is worse.

He is just a young green kid, our expectations are too high but here's the deal, this is the big leagues and this is a pennant race. He needs to settle in this next inning and try to give the team 6 innings and a lead. Even still, to my untrained eye he is not the answer for 2005.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 02:15 AM)
So, who should we have taken at #15?  Don't say Carrillo, either...

No, definitely not Carrillo. I think the Broadway selection was better than either of the local pitchers, but it doesn't mean I think any of the 3 will pan out. None of them have particularly good stuff.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 08:15 PM)
He is not locating well, nor is he using the changeup.  He's throwing whatever Pierzynski is calling and hasn't shaken him off once.  The location on his fastball is not good and the breaking ball location is worse.

He is just a young green kid, our expectations are too high but here's the deal, this is the big leagues and this is a pennant race.  He needs to settle in this next inning and try to give the team 6 innings and a lead.  Even still, to my untrained eye he is not the answer for 2005.

This is the sort of thing that happens when you have injuries. Some kid who probably isin't ready is gonna get the call and in that case we have to just hunker down and pray he doesn't get murdered too badly.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 02:15 AM)
He is not locating well, nor is he using the changeup.  He's throwing whatever Pierzynski is calling and hasn't shaken him off once.  The location on his fastball is not good and the breaking ball location is worse.

He is just a young green kid, our expectations are too high but here's the deal, this is the big leagues and this is a pennant race.  He needs to settle in this next inning and try to give the team 6 innings and a lead.  Even still, to my untrained eye he is not the answer for 2005.

I agree with you. We're not in the position to have a guy gain experience through tough times right now. My biggest complaint with McCarthy is that he doesn't seem to fool hitters at all. His curveball doesn't seem to make hitters swing and miss.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 02:16 AM)
No, definitely not Carrillo.  I think the Broadway selection was better than either of the local pitchers, but it doesn't mean I think any of the 3 will pan out.  None of them have particularly good stuff.

Well, I think it's pretty ridiculous of you to criticize the Sox drafting tecniques. McCarthy was what, a 17th round pick? The fact that he's in our rotation already should be a compliment to Dave Wilder and co. Gio Gonzalez last year, Kris Honel a couple of years ago... I don't know what you're complaining about. Finding a college pitcher in spots #15-#20 with dynomite stuff is pretty tough to do. He's usually gone well before then...

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 09:19 PM)
This isn't an idea I am suggesting but I wish he was versatile enough where he could spot start and do a decent job but even then we don't have a deep enough bp for that...

if cotts had maybe one more pitch he might do a good job of spot starting or at least going a solid four innings

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 09:18 PM)
Cotts wasn't a prospect of ours.  As I'm sure you know, the A's gave him us in the closer trade.

True true, but we had him in our system for a year :)

So I'm reaching for guys that played in our minors, sue me.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 12:19 PM)
Well, I think it's pretty ridiculous of you to criticize the Sox drafting tecniques.  McCarthy was what, a 17th round pick?  The fact that he's in our rotation already should be a compliment to Dave Wilder and co.  Gio Gonzalez last year, Kris Honel a couple of years ago...  I don't know what you're complaining about.  Finding a college pitcher in spots #15-#20 with dynomite stuff is pretty tough to do.  He's usually gone well before then...

Nick Lemon has good stuff..... on his fastball, that's about it. Doesn't mean he's going to pan out.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 02:19 AM)
Well, I think it's pretty ridiculous of you to criticize the Sox drafting tecniques.  McCarthy was what, a 17th round pick?  The fact that he's in our rotation already should be a compliment to Dave Wilder and co.  Gio Gonzalez last year, Kris Honel a couple of years ago...  I don't know what you're complaining about.  Finding a college pitcher in spots #15-#20 with dynomite stuff is pretty tough to do.  He's usually gone well before then...

Every team finds some gems in the mid to late rounds of the draft. There's no doubt in my mind that the Sox have had some awful high draft picks lately. Honel has been a bust, plain and simple. Fields hasn't shown the type of offensive skills that Sox officials had hoped he would, and Royce Ring was a poor selection (other guys available that should have been taken).

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 08:20 PM)
As Milkman said earlier, seems like everyone is trying to hit homers now.  If we lost this game (I know, a long way to go), it would be an extremely disappointing loss.

I don't mind the homeruns as long as they know when is the right time and when it isn't. I don't like seeing guys swinging for the fences all the damn time they go up to bat. I do see your point though and it is a sad but true statement.