4th of July Game Thread Sox vs. DRays

bjm676

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 08:23 PM)
BMac isn't ready. He's been rushed. Get his ass out of here before he gains negative confidence. With the way BMac is now, I believe that's attainable. Bring up Felix Diaz and don't fly him in 2 hours before his start either.

I hoped it wouldn't come to this.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
Every team finds some gems in the mid to late rounds of the draft.  There's no doubt in my mind that the Sox have had some awful high draft picks lately.  Honel has been a bust, plain and simple.  Fields hasn't shown the type of offensive skills that Sox officials had hoped he would, and Royce Ring was a poor selection (other guys available that should have been taken).

Josh Fields is in what his 1st full season of minor league ball, if you've read the minor league reports you would have seen he's been turning it around in the last month. His average has gone up 30 points, plus he's hitting in a pitcher's park.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 02:23 AM)
I sure hope Freddy is ready to step up and save the bullpen tomorrow because I doubt McCarthy's going 6 innings tonight.

Our best chance of winning is getting Cotts, Cliff, and Dustin in this game as soon as possible.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 09:23 PM)
BMac isn't ready. He's been rushed. Get his ass out of here before he gains negative confidence. With the way BMac is now, I believe that's attainable. Bring up Felix Diaz and don't fly him in 2 hours before his start either.

It's f***in' sad when we're asking for Felix Diaz to come up.

Guest JimH

Nite ... Felix Diaz is worse. He is getting absolutely torched at AAA, hitters are knocking him around at about a .320 batting average. IMO he is about the last guy you want to bring up.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 02:22 AM)
Every team finds some gems in the mid to late rounds of the draft.  There's no doubt in my mind that the Sox have had some awful high draft picks lately.  Honel has been a bust, plain and simple.  Fields hasn't shown the type of offensive skills that Sox officials had hoped he would, and Royce Ring was a poor selection (other guys available that should have been taken).

Fine. Hindsight is 20/20. You couldn't predict the Honel injury, no one could. You complained about the Sox not taking guys with good stuff. Honel had awesome stuff before his injury. So, what's your complaint? About the pick, or about them not taking guys with good stuff?

Fields was the best power potential hitter in the draft, and he was available at the mid-first round. I didn't quite follow the draft that year, but my brother did, and he didn't seem real pissed about the selection. I tend to trust his judgement, so I didn't make a big deal about it.

He was, however, pissed about the Ring selection. TAKE JOE f***ING BLANTON. Gosh, rewind to that draft...

BTW, B-Mac apparently has enough to fool hitters, or else he'd not have been K'ing 9+ per 9 IP at Charlotte. BTW -- all of that being said, I don't think he's ready for the show. I realize he's pitching in a tiny park, but I'd like to see him keep the ball down a little more, and work on a two-seam fastball before he gets moved up. He's being rushed.

Ugh, Hawk, get off of Williams' nuts. We haven't made the playoffs quite yet...

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 08:23 PM)
I sure hope Freddy is ready to step up and save the bullpen tomorrow because I doubt McCarthy's going 6 innings tonight.

Last time we said that he got a CG, even though I don't expect that again (it would be nice though) I do hope he gives us about 7 or 8 solid innings.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 02:24 AM)
Josh Fields is in what his 1st full season of minor league ball, if you've read the minor league reports you would have seen he's been turning it around in the last month. His average has gone up 30 points, plus he's hitting in a pitcher's park.

I just know what I've been told by different baseball scouts, and I haven't heard one positive report about Fields.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 08:24 PM)
Our best chance of winning is getting Cotts, Cliff, and Dustin in this game as soon as possible.

Our best chance to win this game is to keep scoring 2-3 runs an inning and try not to look back.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 02:24 AM)
Fine.  Hindsight is 20/20.  You couldn't predict the Honel injury, no one could.  You complained about the Sox not taking guys with good stuff.  Honel had awesome stuff before his injury.  So, what's your complaint?  About the pick, or about them not taking guys with good stuff?

Honel had great stuff? He has a pretty average fastball (91 mph) and a curve. Reminds me of a certain pitcher we have on the mound.

Guest JimH

This is a key inning for McCarthy, very important. He needs to settle down and start executing. No one expects perfection but he's simply got to keep the team in the game.

I just hope Ozzie doesn't make the same mistake he made in McCarthy's start against the Royals, and leave Brandon in too long in order to try and get the win. If McCarthy gets in trouble again, you have to pull the kid. He's not shown much ability to get out of jams, etc.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 02:26 AM)
Honel had great stuff?  He has a pretty average fastball (91 mph) and a curve.  Reminds me of a certain pitcher we have on the mound.

GMAFB. Talk to Jason, he's seen him. He had a filthy knucklecurve before his injury. Average my ass...

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 10:27 PM)
This is a key inning for McCarthy, very important.  He needs to settle down and start executing.  No one expects perfection but he's simply got to keep the team in the game.

Yeah, good luck with that.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 02:28 AM)
GMAFB.  Talk to Jason, he's seen him.  He had a filthy knucklecurve before his injury.  Average my ass...

His curve was good, but his fastball was nowhere near above average. Remember, McCarthy was also supposed to have a lights-out curveball. I've seen Honel pitch quite a few times in high school, and never was overly impressed.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 08:24 PM)
Nite ... Felix Diaz is worse.  He is getting absolutely torched at AAA, hitters are knocking him around at about a .320 batting average.  IMO he is about the last guy you want to bring up.

Bmac was also getting torched in AAA and getting worse before we brought him up again. Felix Diaz can't be any worse than BMac. And I mean that.

About the White Sox drafting, they did miss out on quite a few guys in the early rounds. Honel was an alright choice, though I didn't like him, I blame his lack of success on injury. Other guys though haven't been so good. I'm skeptical about Broadway. It seems the White Sox are trying to find a bunch of Greg Maddux's because of the success Buehrle's had and the lack of injuries he's had. I think one of these days though, KW & company is going to have to develop a power guy. Else we'll be trying to trade for a bunch of Jason Schmidt's for a long time.