4th of July Game Thread Sox vs. DRays

bjm676

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 10:29 PM)
How long before we're allowed to say McCarthy has been a bust so far?

That point passed after his start in Texas. As I speak, back-2-back singles. 1st and 2nd. 0 out. :headshake :puke

SoxTalk :fight BMac

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JimH
GMAFB.  Talk to Jason, he's seen him.  He had a filthy knucklecurve before his injury.  Average my ass...

Keith ... I have seen Honel pitch a bunch in spring training. I think there's a problem between the ears ... whether it's a lack of confidence or not trusting himself or whatever it is, he has a long long way to go.

You are right, the knuckle curve is a pretty good pitch but he also has trouble locating it. And I will say this about his fastball, it is nothing spectacular. If I ever saw him throw 91 I do not remember it.

He is a White Sox organizational player so I will root for him, but he's got some big hurdles to overcome.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 02:30 AM)
This. Guy. Sucks.

Get him out, he's not ready.

(And I didn't say he will always suck, but he sure as hell sucks now)

That's the way we all feel. When we say he's a bust, we don't mean for the long-term. But for right now, he sucks, plain and simple.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 02:30 AM)
His curve was good, but his fastball was nowhere near above average.  Remember, McCarthy was also supposed to have a lights-out curveball.  I've seen Honel pitch quite a few times in high school, and never was overly impressed.

Whatever. I'll trust Chisoxfn's judgement over yours...

BTW, you're judging McCarthy off of about five starts. Saying he's a bust already? He's clearly not ready, but that's going too far.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 10:32 PM)
Well, that's the last I hope we see of McCarthy until the 2007 season.  What an absolute f***ing disaster.

Hopefully he'll be pitching against us not for us.

That's just sad. 6 runs should be enough for a win. We'll be lucky to win this game. And F it. Go with a 4 man rotation up until the ASG. This just isn't working. And don't send him to AAA, send him to AA because he clearly isn't ready for AAA.

As for Honel, his knucklecurve was wicked, but in terms of his fastball, I don't remember it being much faster than an El Duque fastball.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 02:30 AM)
Keith ... I have seen Honel pitch a bunch in spring training.  I think there's a problem between the ears ... whether it's a lack of confidence or not trusting himself or whatever it is, he has a long long way to go.

You are right, the knuckle curve is a pretty good pitch but he also has trouble locating it.  And I will say this about his fastball, it is nothing spectacular.  If I ever saw him throw 91 I do not remember it.

He is a White Sox organizational player so I will root for him, but he's got some big hurdles to overcome.

I realize his fastball was just average, but all I heard was rave reviews on his knucklecurve. And I'd also heard about the mentality problems, sort of a cockiness, overconfidence?

I'm just saying, there's complaining, and then there's b****ing just to b****. He says he doesn't like that the Sox don't take enough guys with good 'stuff', yet they've drafted Gio and Honel? Then he calls McCarthy, a 17th round pick of a couple of years ago (right?), a bust? I'm sorry, that's just b****ing just to b****, IMO.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 02:34 AM)
I realize his fastball was just average, but all I heard was rave reviews on his knucklecurve.  And I'd also heard about the mentality problems, sort of a cockiness, overconfidence?

I'm just saying, there's complaining, and then there's b****ing just to b****.  He says he doesn't like that the Sox don't take enough guys with good 'stuff', yet they've drafted Gio and Honel?  Then he calls McCarthy, a 17th round pick of a couple of years ago (right?), a bust?  I'm sorry, that's just b****ing just to b****, IMO.

Keep believing what you want in terms of my motives. I have some very quality sources that add to my baseball insight, and I don't jump on and off bandwagons like many people on this board. As of now, McCarthy is a bust. Honel wasn't considered someone with great stuff when we drafted him. A guy with great stuff, for example, is someone like Verlander.

some of you people here are very immature and have very little baseball knowledge

ill be if you were a GM when greg maddox or curt chilling were around, you would have traded them and told them they were f***ing sad cum wads

/me shakes his head

just because a pitcher with tallent isnt ready for the show and is learning as he goes dosent mean he is a peice of s***... the kids accually a class act with a lot of talent.

so to whoever says f*** you to bmac... i say the real tricks on you... and f*** OFF!