4th of July Game Thread Sox vs. DRays

bjm676

Guest JimH
clearly the White Sox have taken the control over stuff approach with the pitching draft picks. I'll say it again, it seems like they're trying to find another Buehrle and not trying to find anyone with just nasty stuff that they have to develop.

Actually I think it's been the opposite the past few years. They have taken a ton of guys with great arms who needed to harness their talent and control.

Examples include Jason Stumm, Wyatt Allen, Dan Wright, Nicke Lemon, Rylan Reed ... and there are a ton more. Broadway, on the other hand, is noted for his smarts and competitiveness and is more of a pitcher vs. pure stuff as you correctly point out.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 12:41 PM)
Those guys with 91 mph have a lot lower ceiling than the guys with the overall great stuff.  It's up to the minor league developers to get the best out of the player's talent.  Please don't tell me that you think our minor league people do a good job at developing players?

So you think Nick Lemon has a better chance of making it than say Lance Broadway?

Most unpleasant bunch of people I think I've ever seen. Good god, and here I was thinking that sanity had been restored a bit, we just get more people who do nothing but b**** the entire game.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 10:41 PM)
These same people were saying the same things about Garland two years ago.

Now they're all, "I was on his bandwagon the whole way."

No, Garland didn't completely blow and walk a jabillion hitters. Uribe hits a flyball out. 1 dead.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 02:43 AM)
Most unpleasant bunch of people I think I've ever seen.  Good god, and here I was thinking that sanity had been restored a bit, we just get more people who do nothing but b**** the entire game.

Go to any gamethread for any team in any sport....it's the same way everywhere!

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 08:40 PM)
I really don't think that's the case at all...  Jim, wouldn't you say so?

Of course, if there's a guy who can throw 99 but can't locate it, and there's a guy who can throw 91-93 who can locate it, they'll go with the latter.  But I don't see much of a problem with that.

Again, they went with a lot of 'stuff' guys last year -- Whistler and Gonzalez come to mind immediately.

Gio is a lefthanded BMac from what I remember. He's a bit more raw though. Hardly a stuff guy.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 09:41 PM)
These same people were saying the same things about Garland two years ago.

Now they're all, "I was on his bandwagon the whole way."

Well, my whole point is that teams know the Sox need a starter. They're gonna hold the Sox up, and we'll have to give up (player X who everyone loves this week) and people will complain how we got hosed.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 09:41 PM)
Those guys with 91 mph have a lot lower ceiling than the guys with the overall great stuff.  It's up to the minor league developers to get the best out of the player's talent.  Please don't tell me that you think our minor league people do a good job at developing players?

Um... McCarthy was in Low-A last season. There was a reason for that. The reason he's not getting major league hitters out has nothing to do with the minor league people devolping players.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 02:41 AM)

No, I'm not saying that at all. I haven't liked a lot of their decisions, but I don't feel "qualified" (for lack of a better word) enough to criticize. But that doesn't mean I like all of their picks -- i.e., last year, going with the more athletic, toolsy catcher in Donny Lucy over the less toolsy, more numbers guy in Kurt (I think that's his name) Suzuki. Or, going with a guy like Brooks in the third round, considering his numbers weren't all that spectacular throughout college. Or, as you mentioned, Ring over Blanton.

Don't take it like I'm in agreement with them, 'cause while I don't think this team is bad at developing talent, I think they could do a lot better job.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 09:42 PM)
Actually I think it's been the opposite the past few years.  They have taken a ton of guys with great arms who needed to harness their talent and control.

Examples include Jason Stumm, Wyatt Allen, Dan Wright, Nicke Lemon, Rylan Reed ... and there are a ton more.  Broadway, on the other hand, is noted for his smarts and competitiveness and is more of a pitcher vs. pure stuff as you correctly point out.

I think the point remainst that they haven't produced anyone that's good besides Buehrle. We can't produce pitchers, only sluggers.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 12:44 PM)
No, Garland didn't completely blow and walk a jabillion hitters. Uribe hits a flyball out. 1 dead.

B-Mac didn't walk a jabillion hitters.... just saying.

And a lot of people were wanting to trade Garland for Randy Johnson in the off-season. Anyone remember the game where he gave it to the crowd after he got pulled?

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 12:45 PM)
Gio is a lefthanded BMac from what I remember. He's a bit more raw though. Hardly a stuff guy.

Barry Zito isn't a stuff guy, he seems to have done alright in the major leagues.

Guest JimH

It depends how you define "stuff". His curveball is rated as one of the very best in the minors. Fastball is not 95 but it moves. So I would say Gonzalez is in fact a "stuff" pitcher. But until we see him for a while it's hard to say.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 10:44 PM)
Go to any gamethread for any team in any sport....it's the same way everywhere!

Thats a piss-poor defense. Just cause it happens other places doesn't mean it has to happen here. Especially when it concerns the team with the best record in all of baseball. I don't see why keeping things in perspective is so hard. If people would actually think before they posted something, the quality would increase exponentially.

Well, my whole point is that teams know the Sox need a starter. They're gonna hold the Sox up, and we'll have to give up (player X who everyone loves this week) and people  will complain how we got hosed.

Thats not entirely true.. because if El Duque is healthy we are in pretty good shape, I wouldnt say that we are desperate right now.. but it is a need

I dont think we are in a situation were we can be held hostage

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 02:45 AM)
Um... McCarthy was in Low-A last season. There was a reason for that. The reason he's not getting major league hitters out has nothing to do with the minor league people devolping players.

Yeah, I wasn't talking about McCarthy in regards to how we develop players. Basically, it dealt with how we just don't produce any players from our minor league system on a consistent basis. The Sox are notorious for not developing their own talent very well. There's a reason that we have very few players on our MLB roster that we actually develop. How many times have we been disappointed by a guy that is brought up from the minors, only for them to look like they don't belong?