Top 3 starters central to plan of altered rotation

greasywheels121

Now I understand the reasoning behind the rotation, and I like what they intended.

Also, that last snippet about Carl is funny. :lol:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Top 3 starters central to plan of altered rotation

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune staff reporter

OAKLAND -- The White Sox have aligned their rotation for the second half so that Mark Buehrle and Jon Garland will get extra rest in the likely event they pitch in the July 12 All-Star Game at Detroit.

Manager Ozzie Guillen said Jose Contreras will open a four-game series at Cleveland on July 14, followed by Freddy Garcia, Buehrle and Garland.

Guillen said the rotation for the second half was sculpted so Garcia, Buehrle and Garland would face American League Central opponents as much as possible.

The Sox hold an 81/2-game lead in the AL Central, largely because they possess a 26-5 record in the division—best in the majors. Garland, Buehrle and Garcia are a combined 15-1 against the Central.

Orlando Hernandez, sidelined since June 15 because of right shoulder inflammation, tentatively is scheduled to rejoin the rotation on July 18 against Detroit.

Home run derby

First baseman Paul Konerko said he would be honored if asked to participate in the annual home run derby held at the end of the All-Star Game workout next Monday.

Konerko slugged 12 homers in the 2002 contest at Milwaukee's Miller Park and finished third.

"If they want me to do it, I will," Konerko said. "If not for me, for all my golfing buddies back home (in Scottsdale, Ariz.). It gives them a reason to go to the club and run up the tab."

Konerko admitted he's concerned about trying to hit homers in spacious Comerica Park.

"I might get embarrassed in that ballpark," Konerko said. "I don't want to get shut out."

Another big hurt

Frank Thomas' home run in the fourth off left-hander Barry Zito marked the first time an opponent hit a homer that landed in the second deck at the A's home park since Seattle's Edgar Martinez accomplished the feat off John Halama exactly two years earlier.

Firing back

In the top of the ninth, a group of A's fans dressed as an astronaut, a tooth fairy, Santa Claus, a mermaid and a dinosaur held up a sign that read "We don't believe in Carl Everett." The Sox's left fielder, who made controversial comments about homosexuals and fans in last month's Maxim magazine, has said he believes dinosaurs never roamed the earth.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)
In the top of the ninth, a group of A's fans dressed as an astronaut, a tooth fairy, Santa Claus, a mermaid and a dinosaur held up a sign that read "We don't believe in Carl Everett."

That is absolutely hilarious... :lolhitting

You beat me to it. That has me LMAO :lolhitting

Great A's fans. And being in California it wasn't a problem finding people with those costumes in the closet.

I prefer to think that the first Sox starter after the break will be Jason Schmidt. But if it's Contreras and they keep this rotation, then you're gonna go back to having the Cubans go back to back, which plays havoc on the bullpen. They put themselves in a position to avoid this when they played around with Garland and Bmac. It's just stupid to have Contreras and Duque back to back.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 11:22 AM)
I prefer to think that the first Sox starter after the break will be Jason Schmidt. But if it's Contreras and they keep this rotation, then you're gonna go back to having the Cubans go back to back, which plays havoc on the bullpen. They put themselves in a position to avoid this when they played around with Garland and Bmac. It's just stupid to have Contreras and Duque back to back.

Yeah, it's dumb to have them back to back, but if this setup puts the big 3 up against the AL Central a lot more often, and the Twinkies in particular, then it's a worthy sacrifice. I could care less if we lose 1 of those 2 games and weaken the bullpen, if Buehrle, Garland, and Garcia come out and throw 8 innings of shutdown ball the next 3 days against the Twins.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 12:09 PM)
Like I said, this just proves that there is no faith in Contreras and Duque/McCarthy.  If they're setting up the schedule so that they have to face the Central as little as possible, that's saying something.

....and I'll ask again why wouldn't you want your top 3 starters starting against your division, whether they have faith in Jose or not, it makes perfect sense to have your best guys go against your division.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 05:41 PM)
....and I'll ask again why wouldn't you want your top 3 starters starting against your division, whether they have faith in Jose or not, it makes perfect sense to have your best guys go against your division.

I'm just saying that they're not making any attempt to hide their lack of faith in those two. It leads me to believe that there's a change coming.