Jose Contreras

TheBigHurt

I realize some people(hopefully) will agree with me, but I know realistically many won't and that's fine. But I have to say, with the trade deadline approaching, I honestly hope we could trade Contreras and get someone better. I've heard all the talk about him being consistent and doing a good job, well you will have to refresh my memory, because through the horrible outings he's had recently, I can barely remember at all. I suppose like any pitcher he might just be in a funk, but he's costing us too much while he's not been very confident or competent for that matter with this best pitches, which are what? A forkball and a fastball, neither which seem to be doing him much good as of late. I hate to say it, but I have to be honest. I think Contreras needs to go.

*start discussing or flaming now*

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 12:04 PM)
I realize some people(hopefully) will agree with me, but I know realistically many won't and that's fine. But I have to say, with the trade deadline approaching, I honestly hope we could trade Contreras and get someone better. I've heard all the talk about him being consistent and doing a good job, well you will have to refresh my memory, because through the horrible outings he's had recently, I can barely remember at all. I suppose like any pitcher he might just be in a funk, but he's costing us too much while he's not been very confident or competent for that matter with this best pitches, which are what? A forkball and a fastball, neither which seem to be doing him much good as of late. I hate to say it, but I have to be honest. I think Contreras needs to go.

*start discussing or flaming now*

Well Hurt I compeltely agree with you but only if we can get a proven winner. I don't like trading a strong arm for just another arm. We will see. I do think soemthing is swimming in the water. I wish a trigger would be pulled soon.

Well my knowledge of good pitchers isn't all that wide, I'm not to up to speed with all the other teams, but I'm hoping there's one out there wating to coem here. There's the talk about Schmidt, but I doubt that's gonna happen.

Edited by TheBigHurt

A few reasons as to why Jose Contreras will be pitching for the Chicago White sox through the year 2005.

-$8,500,000 Contract

-3-5 Record

-4.34 ERA

-71 K's to 45 BB

-Offers nothing to any team in terms of getting younger/cheaper

-Offers nothing to any team in terms of getting a proven, consistant veteran

-Won't have El Duque to whisper in his ear elsewhere

-78 Years old

He ain't going anywhere. Sorry.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
If you plan on trading Contreras for another pitcher, forget about. You will not get an as good pitcher as Contreras if you're trading him in the same deal.

Well I guess thats why we are belaboring the point. I realize Jose has great talent, but he is unreliable when he does not attack hitters, and for a veteran I really don't like that. In addition, can you imagine him pitching in the world series with the bases loaded? I can just see the wild pitch.He doesn't hold on runners, and he is completely wild with runners on base. Now I realize teams are not hitting well against him but his last few outings have been brutal. We will see, maybe we don't give up Jose but there will be a trade. No doubt in my mind. At this time this team is not good enough to win the world series. Pressure mounts.

Lets face it there is nothing better. Lets say we trade Jose and get Schmidt. Schmidt will only get worse pitching in the Cell and will be a black hole. It also forces BMAC to step up and become the 4th starter when Orlando gets hurt. Then after he and Orlando are buddies on the DL then Adkins will be joining mccarthy in the back of our rotation. We lose every game our 4th and 5th starters throw and we fall into second place. We have to keep Jose to even have hope to salvage a quarter of those games.

WE'RE NOT GOING TO FIND SOMEONE BETTER THEN JOSE AS A 4TH STARTER! HE WILL HAVE A FEW MORE GOOD STARTS! PLEASE GET A GRIP PEOPLE! GUYS LIKE SCHMIDT ARE A MILLION TIMES WORSE!

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 12:29 PM)
WE'RE NOT GOING TO FIND SOMEONE BETTER THEN JOSE AS A 4TH STARTER! HE WILL HAVE A FEW MORE GOOD STARTS! PLEASE GET A GRIP PEOPLE! GUYS LIKE SCHMIDT ARE A MILLION TIMES WORSE!

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

Shouldnt that be in green? :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

i think we need a arm in the pen a lefty(wagner) we are uncertain of the health of Marte,lets remember WHEN we get into the playoffs contereas wont be pitching or maybe better yet the YANKEES will take him back he would be the ace of there staff :lolhitting

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 12:29 PM)

I think you undervalue Schmidt. This guy has electric stuff, and would be a welcome addition to the South Side. Sure, he's had a rough start, but to say his arm is "falling off" is just inaccurate. Jason Schmidt is a top tier starting pitcher, and any chance a team has to get him would be great.

PS... he has World Series experience, and playoff experience is what this club is lacking.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 01:40 PM)
I think you undervalue Schmidt.  This guy has electric stuff, and would be a welcome addition to the South Side.  Sure, he's had a rough start, but to say his arm is "falling off" is just inaccurate.  Jason Schmidt is a top tier starting pitcher, and any chance a team has to get him would be great.

PS... he has World Series experience, and playoff experience is what this club is lacking.

I think you're missing the point. Jason Schmidt has had a bad year so far, therefore his career is over.

Milkman, if a bad start to a year made a pitcher's career "over", where would the MLB be today? LMAO. A bad start doesn't make a career end. That's illogical.

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 01:40 PM)
I think you undervalue Schmidt.  This guy has electric stuff, and would be a welcome addition to the South Side.  Sure, he's had a rough start, but to say his arm is "falling off" is just inaccurate.  Jason Schmidt is a top tier starting pitcher, and any chance a team has to get him would be great.

look at his frickin career stats! he's been a good pitcher maybe twice in his career!

he's not as good as you all say. he's not a top tier starter and he's been playing 10 years!!! his career is close to over regardless. especially if he gets reinjured for the millionth time

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 02:08 PM)
look at his frickin career stats!  he's been a good pitcher maybe twice in his career! 

he's not as good as you all say.  he's not a top tier starter and he's been playing 10 years!!!  his career is close to over regardless.  especially if he gets reinjured for the millionth time

Actually he had had 3 very very good years.

He also has a CAREER ERA+ of 110 which is above average

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
Ok, well 5 of those 10 years he was on perrenial bottom-dweller Pittsburgh. He has also gotten better in each of the past 3 years.

Since when does being on a bad team mean you can't be a good pitcher? Granted most bad teams lack pitching, that doesn't mean that they can't have one good pitcher, or develop someone good.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 09:07 AM)
Well Hurt I compeltely agree with you but only if we can get a proven winner. I don't like trading a strong arm for just another arm. We will see. I do think soemthing is swimming in the water. I wish a trigger would be pulled soon.

williams usually wont pull off a deal unless he's confident it will improve the team.....i doubt he'll trade contreras unless he can be sure hes getting a solid pitcher in return....but i do agree he needs to either improve and turn it around in his next start or just go

No one should get their hopes up concerning trading Contreras. He makes quite a bit of money still this year, and most teams can see that Jose just doesn't seem to respond to anyone out there while on the mound. Not sure if there is a pitching coach in the majors that can get through to this guy.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 02:06 PM)
Milkman, if a bad start to a year made a pitcher's career "over", where would the MLB be today? LMAO. A bad start doesn't make a career end. That's illogical.

Shoulder problems, an inability to throw your breaking ball for strikes and a big drop in velocity does.