Justin Verlander pitching today.

Rowand44

I'm not sure if this was already posted or if I'm posting this in the right place but a big piece of the Tigers future is on the mound tonight with Verlander. Unfortunately he's pitching during the Sox game so I'm going to have to miss it but if anyone is interested just thought I'd let you know.

If this belongs in talking baseball, sorry mods.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 05:09 PM)
I think Verlander is going to be a real good one, him and Bonderman can be a dangerious 1-2 punch for many years to come.

The nice thing about Bonderman is they brought him up so early that this is what already his 3rd year in the bigs?? There's a chance they can lose him when he's just entering his prime.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 05:12 PM)
Verlander can throw as hard as anyone else in the majors, save perhaps his mate Kyle Farnsworth. 

He's gonna be good and the Tigers will be too next year.

Do you think they're rushing him a little to much, wasn't he in A ball just this year or do you think he's ready??

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 11:12 PM)
Verlander can throw as hard as anyone else in the majors, save perhaps his mate Kyle Farnsworth. 

He's gonna be good and the Tigers will be too next year.

They still need one more starter, if they can get a guy like AJ Burnett than Ill consider them maybe the best team in the central if healthy.

A course that could all change if other teams add other players, but I think the tigers are just 1 good pitcher away from greatness.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 03:12 PM)
Do you think they're rushing him a little to much, wasn't he in A ball just this year or do you think he's ready??

I don't see the problem. My thoughts are what type of situation is he being brought into. If your coming from A ball into a pennant race, than its a bad thing. If your promoting him to the majors and telling him you expect up and downs and that you want him to learn and develop himself, than not a problem in my book. He's lit things up in his first full professional season and he's coming into a little pressure situation.

Its like the opposite of Brandon McCarthy who has to come up and pitch in the thick of things and therefor any losses are magnified and a team is less capable/likely to put up with a few rough patches during the development. Lucky for the Sox and Brandon, there has been an injury and Brandon will be able to get his feet continually wet here and get one more start in. He also has a lot less pressure since the club is winning and the rest of the rotation is pretty much kicking butt (sans Contreras previous few starts).

This stint up for Brandon will be even more helpful when he's back up later in the year of if he sticks in the pen. And I'd be the first to say Brandon still has a lot to work on, but I'm also going to be the one that continues to say how good Brandon will be and that the Sox will be rewarded this year in some way shape or form.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 05:20 PM)
I don't see the problem.  My thoughts are what type of situation is he being brought into.  If your coming from A ball into a pennant race, than its a bad thing.  If your promoting him to the majors and telling him you expect up and downs and that you want him to learn and develop himself, than not a problem in my book.  He's lit things up in his first full professional season and he's coming into a little pressure situation.

Its like the opposite of Brandon McCarthy who has to come up and pitch in the thick of things and therefor any losses are magnified and a team is less capable/likely to put up with a few rough patches during the development.  Lucky for the Sox and Brandon, there has been an injury and Brandon will be able to get his feet continually wet here and get one more start in.  He also has a lot less pressure since the club is winning and the rest of the rotation is pretty much kicking butt (sans Contreras previous few starts).

This stint up for Brandon will be even more helpful when he's back up later in the year of if he sticks in the pen.  And I'd be the first to say Brandon still has a lot to work on, but I'm also going to be the one that continues to say how good Brandon will be and that the Sox will be rewarded this year in some way shape or form.

That does make a lot of sense. I just turned on the game on mlb.tv this is my first time watching him pitch, I'm interested to see how he looks.

He's slinging it up there at 98-99.

Showing a good fastball and a decent two-seamer, decent movement -- not a whole lot of movement on his four-seamer though, but I suppose you can get away with that (a little bit) if you're throwing 98-99.

Hasn't shown a breaking pitch yet. Threw a curveball once, in the dirt. Does he throw a slider too?

EDIT: He is getting hit hard though. 2-0 Cleveland in the first. Kind of sucks to have your debut against Cleveland, huh? Reminds me of Felix Diaz, and one of his first starts in the majors, in a rain-delayed game against Baltimore...

Edited by CWSGuy406

I really wanted to see him pitch. It's a shame it's not on national tv. The Sox will see plenty of him next year though.

As for him being rushed, they said it's just for one start because of the doubleheader today. He has had 3 starts in AA going 15 innings without allowing a run. He might see some time in AAA this year if the Tigers continue to push him along quickly. He's going to stick with the Tigers either out of ST next year or mid season.