ok, lets take a look at schmidt this way:

he does have a bad ERA

he is comming out of an injurt

his velocity is down

he did just have a very bad start

he is owed 10.5 million with a 3.5 million buy out

now, how many teams are going to trade for him... im sure a few want to

how many teams will give up what the giants are asking for? none

i think we might be able to get schmidt without having to give up contreras... i think that is a very big possibility... we might even be able to get him without giving up contreras or bmac

his trade value is pretty low right now and we might be able to cash in on that if the giants keep losing.... their GM isnt the brightest penny in the bank

QUOTE(hi8is @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 06:49 PM)
ok, lets take a look at schmidt this way:

he does have a bad ERA

he is comming out of an injurt

his velocity is down

he did just have a very bad start

he is owed 10.5 million with a 3.5 million buy out

now, how many teams are going to trade for him... im sure a few want to

how many teams will give up what the giants are asking for? none

i think we might be able to get schmidt without having to give up contreras... i think that is a very big possibility... we might even be able to get him without giving up contreras or bmac

his trade value is pretty low right now and we might be able to cash in on that if the giants keep losing.... their GM isnt the brightest penny in the bank

Will have to give up a pitcher. No doubt about that. More than likely B-mac. I'm just hopin El Duque is at or close to 100%. If so, we don't need another starter.

I like your reasoning, but you will find on here that many people severly overestimate what it would take to get a different player. I remember talk about Hudson. People going crazy, saying it woul dtake Bmac, Garland and 1 or 2 more players. Look what Oakland actually got for him. Not much. Even the recent thread about Chavez had us giving up the moon. It is probably a deep rooted complex because of the Todd Ritchie deal. Although after a few years, neither side seems to have had much success in that deal. However, on a different note, I don't want him, unless the price is nothing more than 2 mid-level prospects.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 06:55 PM)
I like your reasoning, but you will find on here that many people severly overestimate what it would take to get a different player.  I remember talk about Hudson.  People going crazy, saying it woul dtake Bmac, Garland and 1 or 2 more players.  Look what Oakland actually got for him.  Not much.  Even the recent thread about Chavez had us giving up the moon.  It is probably a deep rooted complex because of the Todd Ritchie deal.  Although after a few years, neither side seems to have had much success in that deal.  However, on a different note, I don't want him, unless the price is nothing more than 2 mid-level prospects.

The A's simply couldn't afford Hudson. It was in their best interest to get something for him or lose him and get nothing. Different situation.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 12:57 AM)
The A's simply couldn't afford Hudson.  It was in their best interest to get something for him or lose him and get nothing.  Different situation.

You are correct for the reason the A's let him go. However, people on here thought it would take a package of 4 or more players to GET Hudson, when in fact, it was 2 mid level prospects.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 07:05 PM)
You are correct for the reason the A's let him go. However, people on here thought it would take a package of 4 or more players to GET Hudson, when in fact, it was 2 mid level prospects.

Well I heard that KW offered Carlos Lee and I think BMac for him and BB said no. So it would've taken alot. Maybe Steff could confirm this, but I remember KW inquiring about him and Mulder.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 08:15 PM)
Well I heard that KW offered Carlos Lee and I think BMac for him and BB said no. So it would've taken alot. Maybe Steff could confirm this, but I remember KW inquiring about him and Mulder.

Carlos lee and mccarthy ( after the season he had) >>> charles thomas, juan cruz, and dan meyer.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 01:15 AM)

Well, Bean would have tried to screw the Sox in any trade. I meant more in general. Hudson was traded for less than Lee and Bmac. And Schmidt, if wanted, could be had for less than alot of people think. Unless the Yankmees decide that they want another pitcher.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 08:15 PM)

Didn't Beane pretty much say that he wasn't trading Hudson or Mulder to any AL team?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 07:52 PM)
Didn't Beane pretty much say that he wasn't trading Hudson or Mulder to any AL team?

I remember him specifically turning down BMac and I don't think it had anything to do with the White Sox being an NL team. Wasn't there also a rumor in which the White Sox traded Carlos Lee for Barry Zito in a waiver wire deal, but the A's then declined?? All I know is Beane didn't want either of those guys.

Beane got a solid pitching prospect, a guy who was a good reliever the season before and an OF that had good numbers as a part time player, all of them young. He wasn't going to do a whole lot better. Also remember that Garland had less value at the time, and I never really remember him being mentioned (thought he was dealt before we got a chance to argue about it). Plus that was an offseason deal, meaning there is a little bit less action and less competition between teams vying for that player. In this case, the Giants are looking for guys that will be able to contribute next year, meaning I doubt we'd be able to get him without giving up Contreras or B-Mac.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 08:18 PM)
Carlos lee and mccarthy ( after the season he had) >>> charles thomas, juan  cruz, and dan meyer.

Carlos Lee > Hudson financially

No doubt whatsoever that the talent in the White Sox package would have been enough to get Hudson. Hell, it would have been enough to get Hudson and then either a reliever or a decent prospect too.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 01:41 PM)
Schmidt > Contreras, El Duque, BMac

DO IT!

This season;

Schmidt - BAA - .275, AWAY - 5.88 ERA, 26 K's, 19 BB's, .311 BAA

Contreras - BAA - .225, HOME (used because US Cell is a hitters park unlike SBC) - 4.50 ERA, 38 K's, 23 BB's, .243 BAA.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 02:14 AM)
This season;

Schmidt - BAA - .275, AWAY - 5.88 ERA, 26 K's, 19 BB's, .311 BAA

Contreras - BAA - .225, HOME (used because US Cell is a hitters park unlike SBC) - 4.50 ERA, 38 K's, 23 BB's, .243 BAA.

And BMac and Duque make much less than him too. That has to be taken into consideration.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 05:22 PM)
And BMac and Duque make much less than him too.  That has to be taken into consideration.

See I don't get all of this Schmidt is an "ACE" talk. Sure he WAS an ace over the past few seasons, but he has really sucked this season, plus he'll be moving from SBC park, where his splits are better, to US Cellular Field, and look what that has done to pitchers like Brandon McCarthy.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 01:22 AM)
And BMac and Duque make much less than him too.  That has to be taken into consideration.

We have money to spend this year and most likely starting pitcher will be the place upgraded if anything is upgraded, money shouldn't be an issue at all here. If Schmidt returns to ace form you pick up his option, if not you buy him out for 3-3.5 mill. I guarantee you the money isn't a problem here it's just who we'd have to give up.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 01:24 AM)
See I don't get all of this Schmidt is an "ACE" talk. Sure he WAS an ace over the past few seasons, but he has really sucked this season, plus he'll be moving from SBC park, where his splits are better, to US Cellular Field, and look what that has done to pitchers like Brandon McCarthy.

Bmac is a bad example because he was struggling in aaa. While the park is obviously a homerun haven, Freddy did exactly what Schmidt would have to do and he's doing just fine.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 05:34 PM)
Bmac is a bad example because he was struggling in aaa.  While the park is obviously a homerun haven, Freddy did exactly what Schmidt would have to do and he's doing just fine.

But the thing is Freddy had perfectly good numbers in Seattle before he was traded to Chicago, Schmidt doesn't. And Freddy has a 4.53 ERA at home and a 2.44 ERA away BTW.

El Duque is another, 6.49 ERA at home (ouch), and a 3.72 ERA away. Schmidt also has a G/F ratio of 0.99, which is not good at all. To put that into context, Garcia has a G/F ratio of 1.37.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 01:40 AM)
But the thing is Freddy had perfectly good numbers in Seattle before he was traded to Chicago, Schmidt doesn't. And Freddy has a 4.53 ERA at home and a 2.44 ERA away BTW.

El Duque is another, 6.49 ERA at home (ouch), and a 3.72 ERA away. Schmidt also has a G/F ratio of 0.99, which is not good at all. To put that into context, Garcia has a G/F ratio of 1.37.

I knew you were going to counter with that argument :P You're exactly right, once again I'd love Schmidt because I believe his stuff is still there and he can revert back to the past few years form, I think his next 2-3 starts you'll really start to see him dominating but time will tell.