Schmidt rumor just that, a rumor

southsider2k5

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 08:06 AM)

And what are they suppose to say? Yea we are going to get him. I still believe where there is smoke there is fire maybe a small fire now but fire. BMAC did nothing to help this along yesterday. But maybe he did enough to shut up the people who thought he was Mark Prior. BMAC needs two more years in the minors to learn how to throw three pitches for strikes, otherwise he is just another crappy minor league player.We need to get better, period. We will not sustain this ype of play throughout the playoffs and El Duque will be hurt all year.

From what I can tell about all this trade talk, the White Sox are going to be giving up minor leaguers. Why, after seeing how every White Sox prospect performs at the major league level when called upon, would any GM want anything to do with White Sox minor leaguers?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 08:27 AM)
From what I can tell about all this trade talk, the White Sox are going to be giving up minor leaguers.  Why, after seeing how every White Sox prospect performs at the major league level when called upon, would any GM want anything to do with White Sox minor leaguers?

FURTHERMORE, why do some folks lose sleep at night at the thought of trading away a "Can't Miss" White Sox Prospect.

This just in: they don't exist.

The closest thing the White Sox organization has to a can't miss prospect just boarded a plane to the SouthSide and he's a 270 pounder. Rest assured, the can't miss guy ain't going anywhere.

Folks, the Chicago White Sox are the best team in baseball--nearly 30 games over! This is the year to make the run--open up the floodgates and trade the youngsters. If the Sox make noise in the playoffs no one will be signing up for the McCarthy fan club.

And what are they suppose to say? Yea we are going to get him. I still believe where there is smoke there is fire maybe a small fire now but fire. BMAC did nothing to help this along yesterday. But maybe he did enough to shut up the people who thought he was Mark Prior. BMAC needs two more years in the minors to learn how to throw three pitches for strikes, otherwise he is just another crappy minor league player.We need to get better, period. We will not sustain this ype of play throughout the playoffs and El Duque will be hurt all year.

From what I can tell about all this trade talk, the White Sox are going to be giving up minor leaguers. Why, after seeing how every White Sox prospect performs at the major league level when called upon, would any GM want anything to do with White Sox minor leaguers?

FURTHERMORE, why do some folks lose sleep at night at the thought of trading away a "Can't Miss" White Sox Prospect.

This just in: they don't exist.

The closest thing the White Sox organization has to a can't miss prospect just boarded a plane to the SouthSide and he's a 270 pounder. Rest assured, the can't miss guy ain't going anywhere.

Folks, the Chicago White Sox are the best team in baseball--nearly 30 games over! This is the year to make the run--open up the floodgates and trade the youngsters. If the Sox make noise in the playoffs no one will be signing up for the McCarthy fan club.

These guys are geniuses, or genii. Whatever the spelling, they're right.

Edited by Milkman delivers

Talking about trading the youngsters (Addison’s post and sig ^ ^ ^ ) here are Bajenaru’s pitching stats:

3-1 1.16ERA 46.2IP 29H 6ER 56SO

NOTE: He was not called up. Jenks instead was. IMO, KW is waiting to trade Baj, and a couple of other guys, for Schmidt or some other SP. I much rather prefer Oswalt, but that's just me.

QUOTE(Yoda @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 09:54 AM)
Talking about trading the youngsters (Addison’s post and sig ^ ^ ^ ) here are Bajenaru’s pitching stats:

NOTE: He was not called up. Jenks instead was. IMO, KW is waiting to trade Baj, and a couple of other guys, for Schmidt or some other SP. I much rather prefer Oswalt, but that's just me.

NO WAY the Astros give up Oswalt. They'd trade Clemens first.

And that won't happen either.

Guest JimH

Ok, then let's get this Dave Wilder interview done and we can ask him thoughts on why Jenks over Bajenaru. Personally I don't care either way, I just want guys who get people out. Other than that it makes no difference.

By the way, Vizcaino is looking better, that 3-2 slider to Lugo was the best pitch he's thrown all year. Proven performers hit rough patches and then they tend to produce like they've always done. Example = Jermaine Dye whom dozens on this board wanted to knee jerk reactionary trade earlier this season.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 09:27 AM)
From what I can tell about all this trade talk, the White Sox are going to be giving up minor leaguers.  Why, after seeing how every White Sox prospect performs at the major league level when called upon, would any GM want anything to do with White Sox minor leaguers?

I am starting to think people are coming around to my side of thinking!!!!!!!!!!!! :D Say it isn't so. I am no scout but the Sox farm system is average at best. That is it. To me they are all tradable.

QUOTE(Yoda @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 09:54 AM)

Yoda, no disrespect, but NOBODY wants the BAJ. Not even the Whitesox.

QUOTE(southsider17 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)
NO WAY the Astros give up Oswalt.  They'd trade Clemens first.

And that won't happen either.

Exactly, the Astros aren't going to be sellers, they will be buyers. They are only a few games under .500, which in the NL means they are only 5 games out of the Wild Card.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 11:15 AM)
Ok, then let's get this Dave Wilder interview done and we can ask him thoughts on why Jenks over Bajenaru.  Personally I don't care either way, I just want guys who get people out.  Other than that it makes no difference.

Maybe he can also be asked why every prospect we've called up the past 3 seasons has been a complete bust and not ready....Plain and simple, our farm system is horrible. I've withheld saying it for a while now, waiting to see if anything came out of it this year. I am tired of seeing other organizations continuously bring up major league talent while we bring up T-ball stands (Diaz, McCarthy, Munoz, Stewart, etc.) and guys who can't hit worth a lick (Borchard comes to mind first). Our system needs to get examined and perhaphs rebuilt from the top. (End of rant.)

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)
Maybe he can also be asked why every prospect we've called up the past 3 seasons has been a complete bust and not ready....Plain and simple, our farm system is horrible.  I've withheld saying it for a while now, waiting to see if anything came out of it this year.  I am tired of seeing other organizations continuously bring up major league talent while we bring up T-ball stands (Diaz, McCarthy, Munoz, Walker, etc.) and guys who can't hit worth a lick (Borchard comes to mind first).  Our system needs to get examined and perhaphs rebuilt from the top.  (End of rant.)

Well aboz if I didn't read it, I swear it would have never come out of you. As you know I am in complete agreement. I will further state that last years draft was particulary crappy, which was on Wilders watch, although that won't come out for two more years. This is why, there should never be untouchables in the minors, its a total crap shoot. Furthermore, I completely understand why folks enjoy seeing kids progress. Its really a wonderful thing, but there are way too many people who "fall in love" with these guys only to take them off there list when reality sets in. many here loved Diaz remember? We can go on and on with names.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 11:54 AM)
Well aboz if I didn't read it, I swear it would have never come out of you. As you know I am in complete agreement. I will further state that last years draft was particulary crappy, which was on Wilders watch, although that won't come out for two more years. This is why, there should never be untouchables in the minors, its a total crap shoot. Furthermore, I completely understand why folks enjoy seeing kids progress. Its really a wonderful thing, but there are way too many people who "fall in love" with these guys only to take them off there list when reality sets in. many here loved Diaz remember? We can go on and on with names.

There is no denying these kids have talent. The real problem that I see after looking at everything that has transpired over the past few seasons is that this organization has no clue when a prospect is ready to contribute at the major league level.

A prime example of this was a few seasons ago when Neal Cotts was called up to take over the 5th starter slot. His command was terrible, but his overall numbers were great. Anyone who follows the game knows that poor command in the big leagues will lead to a lot of problems and indeed it did.

I enjoy following the minors because at times it can provide a glipse of our future. I've also enjoyed meeting and talking with several of our prospects. This was not a knock on the talent of any of these guys. It is simply a questioning of why our farm system continuously calls up guys who are either A) not ready or B. not what they were hyped to be. Since our Baseball America ranking in 2000 as the top farm system (which was grossly exaggerated because hardly anyone panned out at that time) our system has been going downhill. I think it needs to be examined, plain and simple.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 11:01 AM)
There is no denying these kids have talent.  The real problem that I see after looking at everything that has transpired over the past few seasons is that this organization has no clue when a prospect is ready to contribute at the major league level.

A prime example of this was a few seasons ago when Neal Cotts was called up to take over the 5th starter slot.  His command was terrible, but his overall numbers were great.  Anyone who follows the game knows that poor command in the big leagues will lead to a lot of problems and indeed it did.

I enjoy following the minors because at times it can provide a glipse of our future.  I've also enjoyed meeting and talking with several of our prospects.  This was not a knock on the talent of any of these guys.  It is simply a questioning of why our farm system continuously calls up guys who are either A) not ready or B. not what they were hyped to be.  Since our Baseball America ranking in 2000 as the top farm system (which was grossly exaggerated because hardly anyone panned out at that time) our system has been going downhill.  I think it needs to be examined, plain and simple.

I thought that is what Wilder was trying to do, but I will say they tend to overrate there own talent, and then bring them up at the wrong time. I personally don't think they have "blue Chippers" right now. They have some nice prospects that with years of development could contribute later but nobody that will be a blue chipper.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 11:05 AM)
I thought that is what Wilder was trying to do, but I will say they tend to overrate there own talent, and then bring them up at the wrong time. I personally don't think they have "blue Chippers" right now. They have some nice prospects that with years of development could contribute later but nobody that will be a blue chipper.

I think you are all getting caught up in the prospect over the past couple of years. Yeah the development and the drafting was not great once we dumped half the system in the early part of this decade. I personally think that our best talent resides in single and double A ball. We have several arms down there that would make organizations drool, not to mention alot of good young outfield talent. Our "bust" such as Borchard were all part of the same time table in drafts. The last 2 years I have seen us take a trend towards better scouting and drafting. This should show in our #1 pick this year. He was not HUGELY touted during the college season, and he is no HS phenom. We are going after proven talent, not a flash in the pan. I for one think our system has markedly improved and our BHAM and WS teams make me excited for the future.

WIth that said, I say trade em all. I would rather have a WS title than a division champ for the next 5 years.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 10:01 AM)
There is no denying these kids have talent.  The real problem that I see after looking at everything that has transpired over the past few seasons is that this organization has no clue when a prospect is ready to contribute at the major league level.

A prime example of this was a few seasons ago when Neal Cotts was called up to take over the 5th starter slot.  His command was terrible, but his overall numbers were great.  Anyone who follows the game knows that poor command in the big leagues will lead to a lot of problems and indeed it did.

I enjoy following the minors because at times it can provide a glipse of our future.  I've also enjoyed meeting and talking with several of our prospects.  This was not a knock on the talent of any of these guys.  It is simply a questioning of why our farm system continuously calls up guys who are either A) not ready or B. not what they were hyped to be.  Since our Baseball America ranking in 2000 as the top farm system (which was grossly exaggerated because hardly anyone panned out at that time) our system has been going downhill.  I think it needs to be examined, plain and simple.

I think our problem is we have a blueprint for the type of player we pick up. This hasnt changed over the years. We like to pick up Football player types for position players. Guys who are big and project to be big power guys. Josh Fields was the last guy, and we know how Borchard has done.

Now on the pitching side. We get control guys over stuff guys. This years selection of Lance Broadway over a Carillo is the same thing. We have this dicussion because we see some other pitcher come up usually against us and do good. Cabrera last year came up. He had a nice live arm. A good arm doesnt project a solid major league career, but it does give you an advantage of pitching over mistakes. You can get away more often with a 95-96mph fastball over the plate than you can with a 90mph fastball over the plate. Just my two cents.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
Now on the pitching side. We get control guys over stuff guys.  This years selection of Lance Broadway over a Carillo is the same thing. We have this dicussion because we see some other pitcher come up usually against us and do good.  Cabrera last year came up.  He had a nice live arm.  A good arm doesnt project a solid major league career, but it does give you an advantage of pitching over mistakes.  You can get away more often with a 95-96mph fastball over the plate than you can with a 90mph fastball over the plate. Just my two cents.

Complete agreement here, and I think that is one explanation to why we have such trouble in Oakland. Those hitters just go with the pitches and look for singles and solid contact, rather then the dinger. The trouble is that that is the only kind of pitcher the Sox usually have. They are all very good, but they don't match up with the unique A's hitters.

LT