Clemens Rumor

RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
Roughed up you say?? So, lets add a run onto his ERA to compensate for the huge bats he will face in the AL.  SO we go from 1.41 to 2.41.  Wait, he would still have the best ERA on our staff.

The last two years he spent in the AL his ERA's were 3.91 and 4.35. That's not worth the 14 million we'll have to give him plus the prospects that we'd lose.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 11:23 AM)
It's funny because it seems like most of those in support of trading for Schmidt are against trading for Clemens.

I find that funny as well. I see them as being broken from a similar, if not the same mold. The difference being that Clemens has been able to maintain good health in the past few years and Schmidt has been on and off.

The only reason I would be against it is the money aspect, and if Clemens is gone next year(most likely) who are you plugging in his place? A year older El Duque? Contreras? It wont be a minor leaguer.

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 10:55 AM)
hes too old i dont want him, rather have a younger pitcher

That's what Boston said when Toronto came calling back in the 90s.

People also said the same thing about Nolan Ryan back in the 90s too, he stayed for quite a while as well.

He's a living legend, a winner with two, two World Series rings - two more than any of the Sox players have (didn't El Duque and Jose C win one?), and he can teach the pitching staff a thing or two. Plus, he would make a damn good rent a player for 2005.

What's not to dislike about him?

:chair If the Rocket says Yes, get him!!!

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 10:57 AM)
Waste of time thinking about it. Let's remember what he's earning this year.

Clemens Signs With Astros for One Year, $18M

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2005Jan21.html

Do you think the Astros are going to eat salary and send him north?

I don't think JR is worried about the books at all right now. Attendence is up. We're the best team in baseball. And we just might have a chance. If $9M and some prospects are what it's going to cost for the Sox to get to the promised land. He'll loosen the purse strings enough for KW to get his guy.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 11:30 AM)
The last two years he spent in the AL his ERA's were 3.91 and 4.35.  That's not worth the 14 million we'll have to give him plus the prospects that we'd lose.

that was then, this is now, and he has a 1.41 ERA.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 09:23 AM)
It's funny because it seems like most of those in support of trading for Schmidt are against trading for Clemens.

Even I'll say this, and I'm about as adamantly opposed to dealing for Schmidt as anyone...

There is no one who can guarantee that you'll win a world series if you acquire them. But if you really want to take a 1 year shot...there is absolutely no one better suited than Roger Clemens.

He's been dominating for 2 years. He almost pushed the wounded Astros into the W.S. last year along with Beltran. He's got more playoff experience than almost our entire team combined. And more than anyone else...getting a name like that would completely pack the Cell every damn time he pitched.

I don't want to see 3 prospects going for Clemens. McCarthy + Anderson + someone else is just too much, especially given that there's no shot the Astros would eat his salary as it simply makes no sense for them to do so, given that losing Clemens means their stadium will not be as full.

But if we could get him for something like 1 of McCarthy, Anderson, Sweeney, and another couple lesser names from our minors, I'd be open to it. I doubt the Astros would do it though, given that they still think they're in the race, they've been hot lately, and there's a good chance they'll be buyers and not sellers since they now have a decent shot at catching the Cubs.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
Yeah, and I bet it's mainly due to being in the NL now.

We forget that this is the same NL that houses teams like St. Louis, arguably the best NL team right now. Also they have teams like Atlanta, Florida (who's hot and cold right now), Washington (yes, those ex-Expos) and the hot-and-cold Dodgers. And color me curious, but don't they play small-ball in the NL too?

He wouldn't miss a beat here.

His current stats are here... Those seven NDs that he has can all be Ws if the "Stros gave him any run support.

On an unrelated note - Lance Berkman would look damn good in a Sox uniform.

Edited by OilCan

QUOTE(OilCan @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 12:01 PM)
On an unrelated note - Lance Berkman would look damn good in a Sox uniform.

Why would Berkman even be on KWs radar? Would you sit Podsednik, Dye, or Rowand so that Berkman could start?

Nobody's saying he sucks. My point is that the AL knows him well enough to hit him for around a 3.something to 4.something ERA. That's damn good, but it sure as hell ain't worth the price tag. He'd cost us over 10 million for about 3 months, plus a ton of prospects. He didn't magically get better after he left NY. He went to a place where the majority of teams and players weren't familiar with him.

BTW, I went from thinking Clemens was an ass to being a huge Clemens fan. I was at his start against the Blue Jays a few weeks back and he looks better than most 30 year old pitchers. Gave up 1 ER in 7 innings in a ND.

I would love to see him in a Sox uniform.

But, it ain't going to happen.

This seems to be a smoke screen while Kenny works a real deal. Flying under the radar. And why isn't this in Trade Thread II?

QUOTE(Jimenez4MVP @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
I honestly believe one year of Clemens at the price it would cost isnt worth it.. we can get a good pitcher without selling the farm, I just dont wanna cripple our minors to use Clemens for a short period of time..

i completely agree, as good as he is and as much as he would help us hes not worth it for the short amt of time hes in a sox uni, trade wont happen period

It'll be a pretty steep price for someone who may not even play next year. If the rumor is true, which I doubt, we'd give up a few top prospects for basically a rent-a-pitcher. No thanks. Plus, he's washed up remember?

This kind reminds me of the Randy Johnson situation- KW was willing to do what it took to get him over the the Southside, but Randy said he didn't want to pitch here. Everyone seems to have a fascination for pitching for the Yankees and if Roger does get traded it would be to the Yankees only. Roger has a no trade clause and he would have to waive it to come here- that just wont happen. I'm with Texsox- this is probably just a side-rumor to get everyone talking so KW can swoop in then aqcuire the guy he is really shooting for.

QUOTE(OilCan @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 10:35 AM)
That's what Boston said when Toronto came calling back in the 90s. 

Wasnt it Ron Schuler who said that Clemens was washed up and that he's rather have Jamie Navarro?

I actually agree with milkman here. I'd take Clemens don't get me wrong but I wouldn't give up the world for him. He was an above average pitcher his last 5 or so years in the american league but he wasn't special. I'd still love to have the guy but I wouldn't want to give up the farm for him but that's just me.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 03:19 PM)
I actually agree with milkman here.  I'd take Clemens don't get me wrong but I wouldn't give up the world for him.  He was an above average pitcher his last 5 or so years in the american league but he wasn't special.  I'd still love to have the guy but I wouldn't want to give up the farm for him but that's just me.

Thank God. I thought I was alone in the world. :D

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 09:15 AM)
Per ESPN

White heat?

According to the Daily Southtown, Rogers Clemens is one pitcher White Sox GM Ken Williams would put together almost any package to try to acquire. And source has said that Williams will try to see if prying Roger Clemens from Houston is nothing more than a pipe dream.

Williams cannot discuss players on other teams because of tampering rules, but such a move would help the Sox and also keep Clemens from the Yankees and Red Sox, two teams that could make a run at Clemens because of their resources.

The problem is that Clemens would have to approve a deal to Chicago, which is unlikely. Second, the Astros don't believe they're out of the NL wild-card race.

What does everyone think about this??

I know this may cause a few backlashes, but I would be for it. Because I have said it many times, I think this is the year, and we need to do everything we can to try and win it all this year.  Clemens is flat out dominating and could really give us the "real" Ace at the top of the rotation.

This would be a rental and nothing more. I dont know if Clemens even wants to come here and I think the price would be too high even if he did.

PASS

QUOTE(Adam G @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
Wasnt it Ron Schuler who said that Clemens was washed up and that he's rather have Jamie Navarro?

One of the sorriest moments in White Sox history. Especially since Clemens could have been had for almost the same price as Navarro. Clemens wasn't washed up. Scheuler was retarded.