Sad and infuriating

Queen Prawn

This happened a few blocks from my house - the church mentioned is the one that I attend.

Brian just called and said that according to an article he read this bastard is on paid leave - not sure if this is the same as noted below (sun-times is what I think they get at his work, but I could be wrong).

:pray :pray for the young man and his family.

ABC Article

Boy struck by drunk driving officer dies

By Michelle Gallardo

July 3, 2005 — A 15-year-old boy has died after he was hit by a car while walking his bike. The driver of the car is an officer with the Illinois Department of Corrections. He is charged with DUI.

Fifteen-year-old Andrew Keating was struck Thursday night at the intersection of St. Louis and 115th Street by a drunk Illinois Department of Corrections officer. As it now turns out, the officer did not have insurance, did not have a license and also had a record for driving under the influence. Andrew's family is outraged.

"At this point, I don't care what he was employed as. It's just not right either way," said Stephen Keating, victim's father.

"No one took the trouble to locate this guy, and everyone knew that he was a multiple offender, as far as driving on a suspended or revoked license, that he was operating a vehicle to and from his employment without a license, without insurance, that he had an outstanding warrant," said Tony Peraica, Cook County commissioner.

Andrew Keating was struck by Johnny Leland's car Thursday night as he walked his bicycle across the street at 115th and St. Louis. He died Saturday afternoon.

Sunday, family and friends came together at St. Christina's church in Merrionette Park. "Everybody loved him. Very sensitive. He was into his music. He loved his cars. He wanted to be a race car driver, couldn't wait to get his permit and just an exceptional, exceptional boy," said Elisa Keating, victim's mother.

While nothing can bring Andrew Keating back, his family wants justice.

"We're going to be asking the state's attorney's office of Cook County to upgrade these charges to a felony charge. We feel a misdemeanor charge in the death of a young man is simply not appropriate," said Peraica, Cook County commissioner.

For its part, the Illinois Department of Corrections issued a statement, which said: "After learning about the incident on Friday, we took immediate action. He was put on administrative lockout. On Tuesday, the agency will move forward to take further action regarding his employment status."

The Illinois Department of Corrections would not comment on whether they knew that Leland had a previous record for DUI.

Leland is now out on $130,000 bail.

Some neighbors in the area said this is not the first time there has been a tragic accident at this intersection. They say over the last few years, there have actually been several. They are now pushing for either a four-way stop or a light to be placed at the intersection to avoid any future tragedies.

NBC article