Food for thought

Year Age   W   L    IP    H    R   ER  HR  BB   SO

Pitcher X 1988 21 0 3 14.7 22 19 16 3 10 4

22 0 1 8.7 10 6 6 2 3 6

===============================================================

Total 0 4 23.1 32 25 24 5 13 10

McCarthy 2005 21 0 1 24.1 31 22 22 8 9 17

Yeah, we've gone over this one before, but I thought I would put the numbers out there once again. You can't just write a guy off after 25 IP. They could come back and be a HOFer.

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 07:42 AM)
yes we all know its maddux, I would love to see him turn out 1/2 as good as that. But something is wrong with him and they need to fix it.. even in triple-a he sucks.

Is that because it's his first season in AAA, and it's a major hitters park? Of course not many people probably realize this point last year, he was pitching for the Warthogs in high A ball.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 09:42 PM)
yes we all know its maddux, I would love to see him turn out 1/2 as good as that. But something is wrong with him and they need to fix it.. even in triple-a he sucks.

Yeah, it's called confidence.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 04:42 PM)

dont hate him because he is older than you.

The only thing that is wrong with him is his fastball lacks movement. He needs a cutter or a two seamer to work in on righties. He needs to throw the change a little more as well.

The thing that's been bothering me about McCarthy is that it seems like he never throws his changeup. Never. He threw it on a couple of pitches early in the game yesterday, one of which struck out Lugo, and then got away from it to the point that 2 innings later Hawk and DJ were saying that the strikeout pitch was one of the only changeups that McCarthy threw.

I'm starting to wonder a bit if AJ is a good catcher for McCarthy...AJ seems like he holds that pitch in reserve and wants him to throw the fastball and the curveball, when the only way BMac can have success is if he shows several hitters that changeup so that people can't just sit on the fastball.

Has anyone else seen this? I'm almost certain that BMac has been basically not shaking off AJ at all and has been throwing whatever he calls for, but it seems like the changeup never gets used.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 04:49 PM)
Look at Esteban Loaiza before he learnt the cutter, and look at him afterwards. Just something to consider on McCarthy, and what the Sox should be teaching him.

You're catching on since you've been here

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 04:50 PM)
The thing that's been bothering me about McCarthy is that it seems like he never throws his changeup.  Never.  He threw it on a couple of pitches early in the game yesterday, one of which struck out Lugo, and then got away from it to the point that 2 innings later Hawk and DJ were saying that the strikeout pitch was one of the only changeups that McCarthy threw.

I'm starting to wonder a bit if AJ is a good catcher for McCarthy...AJ seems like he holds that pitch in reserve and wants him to throw the fastball and the curveball, when the only way BMac can have success is if he shows several hitters that changeup so that people can't just sit on the fastball.

Has anyone else seen this?  I'm almost certain that BMac has been basically not shaking off AJ at all and has been throwing whatever he calls for, but it seems like the changeup never gets used.

I've thought the same thing. Part of it gets back to the confidence issue. He doesn't shake anything off. So it's not like he's pitching out there. Just throwing.

Is that because it's his first season in AAA, and it's a major hitters park? Of course not many people probably realize this point last year, he was pitching for the Warthogs in high A ball.

Look we all got overly excited about another WS SP, he needs at least 2 more years in the minors before we can use him. That was the gameplan going into the season..and should have stuck with it. This is our bread and butter in the years to come, either via aa trade or in our own rotation, lets pray (to the god of your choice) that KW didn't f*** him over by calling him up to soon.