Am I crazy, but is there any doubt....

SoxFan562004

Len Kasper brought it up, and so did Plesac on ESPN 1000 that there is a debate which hat Maddux will wear into the Hall of Fame, Braves or Cubs. Now I hate the Cubs, so I may be biased, but there's no doubt in my mind he goes in as a Brave.

I know he started and was developed by the Cubs, but the bulk of his wins are with the Braves, he won a world series with them and won 12 or 13 straight division titles.

Only possible argument I see is if the Cubs win the world series and he has a serious contribution to it.

He won most of his CYs in Atlanta, and except for the one year w/ the Cubs before he left, all his truly great years are there. Everyone remembers him as the pitcher that consistently fronted some of the best rotations of this era. With the Cubs, he's been a consistent contributor, a solid sp, but not much more (that one pre-Atl year excepted, again). No doubt at all he goes in as a Brave.

FWIW, if Maddux had a say in the matter I think he'd wear a Cub hat.

He said yesterday that it was much tougher emotionally for him to return to Wrigley as a Brave than it was for him to return to Atlanta as a Cub.

Makes me think his heart is with the Lovable Losers.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 11:13 AM)
FWIW, since the Boggs/D-Rays mess, the HOF no longer lets the player decide what is on his cap on his plaque.

I think the Fisk White/Red Sox choice may have contributed as well (since one of the main reasons he picked the Red was because he supposedly hates JR)