IU's Assembly Hall to Receive New Scoreboard

I heard murmurs of this during the last school year from my friend who's a manager for the team. Some reason this will probably be blown out of proportions by some IU alums about keeping all traditions. However, the vintage ones were become very costly and hard to maintain. It was difficult to get the right lights for the old one, and replace them in the scoreboard.

sched2.jpg

One of the old ones

scoreboardsample.jpg

New scoreboard

http://iuhoosiers.com/mensbasketball/news/...bk07-05-05.html

Assembly Hall to Receive New Scoreboard

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - When Indiana basketball fans watch games at Branch McCracken Court at Assembly Hall in 2005-06, they will literally see the Hoosiers in a new perspective. The Indiana Athletics Department and its multi-media partner, IU Sports Properties, a division of Learfield Communications, announced today that a $1.99-million scoreboard-video board will be installed in the Hoosiers' tradition-rich basketball facility this summer.

IU Sports Properties, the exclusive media and advertising rights holder for IU Athletics since 1993, recently renegotiated its agreement to provide funding for a new scoreboard/video board system, as well as increased annual rights fee revenue for the department. The state-of-the art scoreboard-video board will include four video screens, four video/scoring/statistics screens, one center-hung ProAd ring, five ProTable scorer's table units, four auxiliary portal scoreboards, as well as three-sided shot clocks and a new game timing system.

The only other major program in the country that utilizes similar ProTable technology is North Carolina, while Wisconsin is the only other Big Ten program that has a center-hung ProAd ring in its facility.

The scoreboard-video board system is a significant upgrade from the scoreboard and timing system that has been in use for the past 11 seasons, which cannot show video highlights or individual/team statistics. Additionally, the current shot clocks do not display hundredth of a second, and replacement of parts for the entire timing system is difficult due to the unit's age.

It is very important to IU to preserve the history and tradition of Assembly Hall when making enhancements of this type. This is a primary objective for IU Athletics Director Rick Greenspan in this venture.

"We are looking to create a positive fan experience, while still preserving the distinct look of Assembly Hall," Greenspan said. "The new scoreboard/video board system will be a great addition for our fans, and will allow them to enjoy the experience of attending an IU game more than ever."

"Additionally, a vital part of our mission is to continually develop new sources of revenue that will help sustain our total athleticS program for the benefit of all of our student-athletes. However, we have been extremely careful in this process not to negatively affect the aura and aesthetics of Assembly Hall."

Greenspan appreciates IU Sports Properties' support in this project.

"On behalf of the athletics department, I also want to express our sincere gratitude to our multi-media and advertising rights partner, IU Sports Properties. It has been a loyal associate of Hoosier athletics for 13 years, and we look forward to continuing our relationship."

IU Sports Properties General Manager Bob Agramonte said that the scoreboard-video board highlights Learfield's long, and established, tenure with Indiana Athletics.

"There are many objectives with this project," Agramonte said. "IU Sports Properties is proud to help enhance the overall facility by providing a high technology scoreboard - video board that will be informative and entertaining to the fans. It also helps IU Basketball market its product through advertising in a tasteful and appropriate manner."

According to Agramonte, such high profile clients as Regions Bank and State Farm Insurance each already have committed to significant presence inside Assembly Hall as part of the project.

"We will be very selective in determining which advertisers will appear on the board, just as we have done in the past in attracting advertisers for IU's other athletic facilities," Agramonte said. "Indiana Basketball is one of the nation's most visible programs, so it is only fitting that we have the most prestigious advertisers possible."

Indiana men's basketball coach Mike Davis and women's coach Sharon Versyp feel that the new scoreboard -video board brings a positive boost to their respective programs.

"One of the biggest recruiting tools we have at Indiana is the atmosphere here during a big game," Davis said. "This new scoreboard will be a great resource in helping us continue to build our significant homecourt advantage."

One of Versyp's many goals in her upcoming debut campaign is to help cultivate a solid fan base, and the new scoreboard-video board is a major tool in that cultivation.

"Very few programs in the country have this type of technology in their on-campus facility," Versyp said. "IU women's basketball is a sleeping giant. It has a ton of potential. There is just so much tradition here. We need to build it. We need to have character and build a foundation. We need to get the state excited about IU women's basketball. When it has that much potential, it is exciting. We can always go up, and we are going to do it and do it in great fashion."

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 06:23 PM)
Can't complain about seeing more money go to my Alma Mater.

I just wish we could win a few damn basketball games again.

I didn't know you were another of the IU guys on here. I'll be a sophomore this year. :cheers

We're definitely going to be back on the map after this year.

Edited by greasywheels121

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 07:25 PM)
I didn't know you were another of the IU guys on here.  I'll be a sophomore this year.  :cheers

Thanks for the news greasy, since I still have my student Id I'm going to try and get my sister to get a friend who doesn't want tickets to get them for me so I can be at the majority of the games. Of course at the MSU game I'll be wearing my green though.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 04:25 PM)
I didn't know you were another of the IU guys on here.  I'll be a sophomore this year.  :cheers

Graduated XMas of 2002, B.S. in Geology.

So, whewn you say we'll be back "After" this year, does that imply that there will be a major change "after" this year?

Because if we don't have a decent (i.e. tourney-qualifying) team this year, there better be a major change in 1 particular slot. I protected Davis last year...this year it's make or break on my support for him.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 06:28 PM)
Thanks for the news greasy, since I still have my student Id I'm going to try and get my sister to get a friend who doesn't want tickets to get them for me so I can be at the majority of the games.  Of course at the MSU game I'll be wearing my green though.

Sweet man. I just hope we can get a full slate again. I think the demand's going to be really high for tickets again this year with all the hype that's coming with this season of IU basketball. This season, we got tickets for all 12 home games that took place while we weren't on break.

And Balta, I believe the team's going to be really successful this year. Teams are going to have a lot of trouble with our big men this year, and Bracey's gone (I still don't know how he got drafted).

And I agree on where you stand with Davis. I've been a backer up to this point. However, I believe the expectations for what Davis has to do this year are beyond just qualifying for the tournament. If he can't do that, I'll have given up on him, and IU will have too. It would then be time for a change.

Finally they got a new scoreboard. Hell, i've only been there for 2 games (both vs illinois), and i can't stand those scoreboards. No information on them whatsoever as far as fouls and points go, except for the line on the bottom.

I love Illinois' new scoreboard, it's amazing.

QUOTE(sec159row2 @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 12:49 PM)
I N D I A N A !!!!!!!!!

'94 BA Mathematics...    :D

and... I've never backed Davis...  I don't think he knows how to coach.. he may be able to evaluate talent, but he can't coach...

'99 BA Telecommunications

and I agree about Davis, he needs to stick to recruiting. Let someone who knows fundamentals handle the coaching.

I'm starting Law School there in September. Can not wait. I went to Ball State in Muncie for my bachlors. Once you get outside of Lake and Porter Counties in Indiana ( The two counties less than an hours drive from Chicago) the hole state is one big s*** bag besides B-Town. I had a lot of buddies who went to IU. Great Time and Good Eats. I really pumped to go to a school were at least one sports team is good or in IU hoop's case have a great history.

Why cant the Sox beat the f***ing A's ?

QUOTE(Benson&Rexage @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 11:45 PM)
I'm starting Law School there in September. Can not wait. I went to Ball State in Muncie for my bachlors. Once you get outside of Lake and Porter Counties in Indiana ( The two counties less than an hours drive from Chicago) the hole state is one big s*** bag besides B-Town. I had a lot of buddies who went to IU. Great Time and Good Eats. I really pumped to go to a school were at least one sports team is good or in IU hoop's case have a great history.

Why cant the Sox beat the f***ing A's ?

I went to IU as an undergrad and came very close to going there for law school this fall...but chose another school.

I think the new scorebaord looks nice, but it doesn't really fit in with the tradition of Assembly Hall. Then again, neither have the teams the last 2 years. We will be good next year, but if it's not a Sweet 16 team, or maybe an Elite 8 team, it'd be a mistake not to fire Davis. The cupboard is bare after next year with him losing out on the top recruits in the state. It's pretty pathetic.

If you want to see a good sports team, go watch IU Soccer. They f***ing rule.

QUOTE(Benson&Rexage @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 01:45 AM)
I'm starting Law School there in September. Can not wait. I went to Ball State in Muncie for my bachlors. Once you get outside of Lake and Porter Counties in Indiana ( The two counties less than an hours drive from Chicago) the hole state is one big s*** bag besides B-Town.

:headshake :headshake :headshake

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)
My grades aint good enough to go to IU, (I'm going to Southern Illinois, nothing to be ashamed of).  But IU is by far my favorite D-I team, and unless they play the Dawgs, I'm rooting for em.

Too bad you aren't in-state, they'll take pretty much anyone in-state.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 12:49 PM)
Too bad you aren't in-state, they'll take pretty much anyone in-state.

Ain't that the truth. Except now with the bschool...things are changing. They are doing everything they can to pretty much seperate it from the rest of the University, which is a good thing. Word is you will have to apply to the bschool straight out of high school and if you don't get in, forget it. No more tranferring in from the University division.