ACLU chapter shut down in New Mexico.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 08:23 AM)
Well, that is certainly an interesting twist, if there is any truth to it.  If you keep up the correspondence with the IL chapter guy and he gets any more information on it, please pass it along.

I knew the Alford name was familiar to me for some reason but I couldn't quite pin it to anything. Then I remembered -- http://www.abqjournal.com/opinion/guest_co...ion07-02-05.htm

On a website called "Stop the ACLU," Alford recently published an article in which he urges the American Legion, a veterans group adamantly opposed to the ACLU, to "infiltrate" the organization and take it over from the "communists and liberals."

"If even half of the members of the American Legion in southern New Mexico ... commit to (joining) the ACLU, and ... attend the board meetings," Alford proposes, "then they could expect to be asked to fill vacancies on the board. ... Our veterans could propose selected individuals to serve on the board, and vote them on in a massive landslide vote at the elections. ... If we did this state-wide, then we could effectively take over all of the local boards in the state of New Mexico within three to four years."

In an attempt to distance himself from ACLU beliefs, Alford goes on to declare his support for compulsory military service and the death penalty. Then he confides, "You should also be aware that I ... serve as the secretary of the board of directors for the Southern New Mexico Chapter of the ACLU. It took me less than a year to get on the board. ... You, too, can be a card carrying member of the ACLU, and you should be. ... It's time to quit complaining about the problems in this nation, and to get involved in viable solutions."

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 01:04 PM)
I knew the Alford name was familiar to me for some reason but I couldn't quite pin it to anything.  Then I remembered -- http://www.abqjournal.com/opinion/guest_co...ion07-02-05.htm

On a website called "Stop the ACLU," Alford recently published an article in which he urges the American Legion, a veterans group adamantly opposed to the ACLU, to "infiltrate" the organization and take it over from the "communists and liberals."

"If even half of the members of the American Legion in southern New Mexico ... commit to (joining) the ACLU, and ... attend the board meetings," Alford proposes, "then they could expect to be asked to fill vacancies on the board. ... Our veterans could propose selected individuals to serve on the board, and vote them on in a massive landslide vote at the elections. ... If we did this state-wide, then we could effectively take over all of the local boards in the state of New Mexico within three to four years."

In an attempt to distance himself from ACLU beliefs, Alford goes on to declare his support for compulsory military service and the death penalty. Then he confides, "You should also be aware that I ... serve as the secretary of the board of directors for the Southern New Mexico Chapter of the ACLU. It took me less than a year to get on the board. ... You, too, can be a card carrying member of the ACLU, and you should be. ... It's time to quit complaining about the problems in this nation, and to get involved in viable solutions."

I can't figure out why they would want him off the board.