Iguchi's boosts don't go unnoticed

greasywheels121

What Iguchi has done this year is just incredible. He's had to adjust to a new culture, team, and he's seeing basically all these pitchers for the first time. I'm very pleased with what he's doing for us. That was a huge steal by KW to get him for what he did.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sside06.html

Iguchi's boosts don't go unnoticed

BY TONI GINNETTI Staff Reporter

The three-run homer by Frank Thomas made the difference in the White Sox' 6-4 victory Tuesday.

But Tadahito Iguchi's overall play was the key to it.

That was how important manager Ozzie Guillen considered the role of his second-base import from Japan, who's been as sure and steady a contributor to the Sox' daunting 56-26 record as any player.

"It seems every time we need something done, he does it,'' Guillen said of Iguchi. "Whether it's a big hit, sacrifice bunt, moving the runner over, turning the double play ... this kid has been amazing for us the way he plays.

"I tell my players, when you play the game the right way, you get a lot of rewards, and that's what he is doing.''

Baseball's midseason reward, a spot on the All-Star team, isn't in Iguchi's future next week, even though his play through the first half of his first season in the United States would be worthy of the honor.

"I'm not playing baseball to be an All-Star,'' Iguchi said through his interpreter after Tuesday's game. "I'm playing to help the team that's closest to winning a championship now.''

On Tuesday, his eighth-inning single was sandwiched between Scott Podsednik's leadoff double and Thomas' 10th home run of the season. In the field, he was involved in seven plays, including a first-inning double play and the final two outs of the game, when he helped preserve Cliff Politte's sixth victory and Dustin Hermanson's 21st save in 22 chances.

Iguchi, 30, and the Sox couldn't have imagined they'd be so high atop the standings back in January, when the third-time Japanese Gold Glove winner, hitting star and four-time Pacific League All-Star signed with the team. General manager Ken Williams has talked of having scouted Iguchi "on film,'' but his performance in person has exceeded what Williams, Guillen and probably the rest of the American League might have expected.

Only recently has Iguchi's batting average slipped below .300, a decline that is personally bothering the proud newcomer.

"It concerns me a little,'' he said, though some of the dip is because he has sacrificed himself to move runners along.

But his .277 average still ranks second among AL rookies -- and despite his experience in Japan, Iguchi does qualify as a rookie.

His 74 base hits, 38 runs scored, 32 RBI, 112 total bases and nine steals rank first among AL rookies. But team play remains paramount in his mind.

"That's the main thing I'm trying to do -- get the run in,'' he said. "If I get it with a hit or a sacrifice fly, it doesn't matter. That's what Ozzie wants. Personal states aren't what is important. Championships are what you look forward to.''

QUOTE(Carlo Paz @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 09:33 AM)
Iguchi is on of those guys that you have to watch every day to really appreciate.  He does all the little things that help a team win.

Amen...he is an awesome team player....he wants to win, not worry about padding stats. Love the Gooch :wub:

Statistics cannot do justice for the contribution that Tadahito Iguchi has made to this team this year. I wish someone had a statistic for how many times that Tads has moved Pods to 3rd with one or no outs in an inning this year. He ALWAYS seems to get the job done. He has been incredible. I also wonder how many ABs he has given up by moving Pods along with a groundball to the rightside. I would be willing to bet he would still be at .300 if you gave him back all of those chances.

Gooch has a huge intangible meaning to this team and its success. He has been key in many, many tying/go ahead innings, always doing what Oz asks of him and never questioning. Add to the fact that he is doing it against a league of pitchers and hitters that he has never faced or seen....its quite amazing.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 11:58 AM)
Statistics cannot do justice for the contribution that Tadahito Iguchi has made to this team this year.  I wish someone had a statistic for how many times that Tads has moved Pods to 3rd with one or no outs in an inning this year.  He ALWAYS seems to get the job done.  He has been incredible.  I also wonder how many ABs he has given up by moving Pods along with a groundball to the rightside.  I would be willing to bet he would still be at .300 if you gave him back all of those chances.

He always, always, always gets the job done getting scotty over to 3rd. He's been a perfect 2 hitter, I can't even imagine where we'd be this year without him and Scotty, they've been absolutely fantastic at the top of the order.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 01:13 AM)
He always, always, always gets the job done getting scotty over to 3rd.  He's been a perfect 2 hitter, I can't even imagine where we'd be this year without him and Scotty, they've been absolutely fantastic at the top of the order.

Look no further than last nights game for how key Tads is to this team. Twice he hit the hole on the right side, trying to move Pods along.

QUOTE(shadowspy1 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 01:17 PM)
I think that Gooch has a real good shot at becoming Rookie of the Year.

I doubt it, not that he wouldnt deserve it but if Matsui didnt get it after his rookie season no way Iguchi will. He probably will end up finishing 2nd like the last 2 years with Shingo and Matsui finishing 2nd.

gooch has been awesome. you also have to give willie a little credit because he's filled in admirably and been productive when gooch has needed a blow. that is going to be important down the stretch so gooch has enough left in the tank in september/october.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 09:09 AM)
Ok but Iguchi's season isnt close to Ichiro's.... its more on par with Matsui's if that and than Shingo's.  Ichiro had an amazingly good rookie season didnt he win MVP 2?

You also have to consider the competition for the award.

steal of the year......I love da gooch....and I have a huge man crush on this entire team........If you would have told me in March we would be this far over .500, I would have laughed histarically then maybe pissed my pants