Would you trade for Kerry Wood?

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 02:20 PM)
Wood has more power than Garcia, Contreras has all sorts of special problems, and the others are relievers, one of whom has virtually no MLB experience (though I am very high on Jenks at the moment)

Wood has demonstrated that, when healthy, he can lead a team to the playoffs (and that he can win in the playoffs...yes, there's Game 7, but he won his other playoff starts in a dominating fashion)

Huh?

I think I would take Jose's "special" problems over Kerry's back, elbow,prostate, and God knows what other s*** that results in him SPENDING TIME ON THE DL.

Kerry Wood is NOT healthy, and he did not lead that team to the playoffs back in 2003, it was Prior. Look at Prior's second half numbers from 2003 and get back to me.

Huh?

I think I would take Jose's "special" problems over Kerry's back, elbow,prostate, and God knows what other s*** that results in him SPENDING TIME ON THE DL.

Kerry Wood is NOT healthy, and he did not lead that team to the playoffs back in 2003, it was Prior.  Look at Prior's second half numbers from 2003 and get back to me.

Kerry Wood's special problems are not with his pitching. Jose's are.

Yes, I concede that Wood is an injury risk, and a rather big one. In the purely hypothetical situation of the Sox acquiring him (which is laughable, but let's discuss it anyway) we would basically be gambling on him already filling his injury quota for the season.

Kerry Wood dominated in the 2003 playoffs up until Game 7 of the NLCS. Yes, he had a partner in crime, but he'd have several if he came to the Sox as well. I still maintain that if this team acquired a pitcher of Wood's caliber this season, it would be the greatest moment in franchise history. A dominant power pitcher would make us that good.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 01:28 PM)
Kerry Wood's special problems are not with his pitching. Jose's are.

Yes, I concede that Wood is an injury risk, and a rather big one. In the purely hypothetical situation of the Sox acquiring him (which is laughable, but let's discuss it anyway) we would basically be gambling on him already filling his injury quota for the season.

Kerry Wood dominated in the 2003 playoffs up until Game 7 of the NLCS. Yes, he had a partner in crime, but he'd have several if he came to the Sox as well. I still maintain that if this team acquired a pitcher of Wood's caliber this season, it would be the greatest moment in franchise history. A dominant power pitcher would make us that good.

A dominant power pitcher WOULD add a certain something to the Sox.

I just don't think Wood's the right guy.

Clemens? Now THAT I'd love to see....

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 12:13 PM)
Two words come to my mind right away.

the fist one is "f***'

the second is "no".

Gotta agree with you. He is a number 5 pitcher who gets 8-12 mill. He is too much of an injury risk. I wouldnt get a former Cubs pitcher right now unless it was Dontrelle.

Kerry Wood sucks :fthecubs :fthecubs

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)
If you want to go ahead and argue that Clemens is a better pitcher than Wood, you will recieve no disagreements from me.

Although I absolutely believe that Clemens is much better than Wood, that wasn't really the point of my post.

I was merely saying that Clemens would be a better fit for the Sox than Wood because of durability, playoff experience/success, and reputation.

He's scarier than Wood despite Kerry's 20-K game 7 years ago.

Especially since the two guys would cost the Sox roughly the same amount of players in return, give me the short-term "sure thing" over the long-term question mark.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 02:30 PM)
A dominant power pitcher WOULD add a certain something to the Sox.

I just don't think Wood's the right guy.

Clemens? Now THAT I'd love to see....

I would trade Everett even steven >Carl could help them. woods would florish here. Backlash would we get converted cubs fans in our midst. I don't think he would have as much trouble with injuries because we have herb Schneider and cooper as a pitching coach.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 02:33 PM)
If you want to go ahead and argue that Clemens is a better pitcher than Wood, you will recieve no disagreements from me.

I dont even think those stupid Cubs who are on the Kerry Wood band wagon would disagree with you there. :fthecubs

Wood is by far the most overrated pitcher in the league. He's never won more than 14 games, he's constantly getting hurt, he throws so many pitches that he rarely goes deep into games, he walks a ton of guys, and his lowest ERA was 3.20 in the NL. His BAA isn't even that good the last two years. For his salary and the talent it would take to acquire him, there are much better pitchers.

As for the power, he typically works in the 94-96 range, which is roughly the same as the guys I mentioned.

Kerry Wood is Darren Dreifort in a Cub uniform.

Tantalizing power. Electric curve. You can just envision him being a perennial 20 game winner.

Then you realize he doesn't know how to pitch, has little command, and is as fragile as El Duque.

No thanks. Certainly not at what he makes.