At least its not Timo

On the 1st base situation, a lot of people think the Yankees are going to make a huge bid for Konerko, well Giambi had a great June and is starting to come around, not saying it's going to continue, but if it does, it puts the Yanks into an interesting situation. Depends what happens with Tino Martinez as well.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 08:17 AM)
Apparently, the first installment of this experiment was a success.  We'll have to monitor this one and see if it continues this year.

I hope he gets some more games at 1st. If he can handle it that has to lead you to believe Konerko is gone which as much of a fan favorite he is I think it will be good losing him, if for nothing else save some money. Ive said it once and ill say it again this upcoming offseason is going to be a huge one.

I guess it could be small but id take an off-season of signing Garland long term, picking up Politte's option, losing Konerko, Timo, and Carl. Resigning Frank for as long as he plans to play. And than signing Pieryznski long term as well. I know its a bit early but here is my ideal 2006 major league team.

C: AJ Pieryznski

1B: Jermaine Dye

2B: Tad Iguchi

SS: Juan Uribe

3B: Joe Crede

LF: Scott Podsenick

CF: Brian Anderson

RF: Aaron Rowand

DH: Frank Thomas

Bench:

C: Chris Widger

1B/OF: Ross Gload

Utility: Pablo Ozuna

2B: Willie Harris

OF: ????

Starters:

Mark Buehrle

Freddy Garcia

Jon Garland

Contreras

El Duque

Bullpen:

Dustin Hermanson

Cliff Politte

Neal Cotts

Damaso Marte

Bobby Jenks

B-Mac(get some major league experiance starter next year)

Doesn't look like a bad lineup, but I have to say I'd rather lose one of the Cubans and get anothe top flight starter...but that's just me. :D

And I think Timo should be promoted to starting batboy.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 12:28 PM)
The need would be for an All-Star caliber first baseman.  ;)

Even though he made the all star team that doesnt mean much. Didnt Jason Giambi make the all star game last year.......Seriously Konerko is so overated among sox fans its not even funny.

Konerko is good, and a great guy from what I hear, but he is not worth a dime more than we are paying Dye...and right now I believe Konerko is making about 3 or 4 million MORE than Dye is...

Konerko is worth about 5M per year. I think he makes more than Derek Lee who is not only a great hitter, but has speed and is the best defensive 1B in the game.

Depending on Konerkos asking price is the deciding factor to keep him or let him go.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 07:48 AM)
Konerko is good, and a great guy from what I hear, but he is not worth a dime more than we are paying Dye...and right now I believe Konerko is making about 3 or 4 million MORE than Dye is...

Konerko is worth about 5M per year.  I think he makes more than Derek Lee who is not only a great hitter, but has speed and is the best defensive 1B in the game.

Depending on Konerkos asking price is the deciding factor to keep him or let him go.

Interesting that the players and coaches voted him #2. I tend to believe the player votes more than the fan votes.

It is impossible to compare player contracts. When Lee signed his, he wasn't an All-Star. Do you think if he was negotiating today he would have the same contract? Plus each contract goes through stages where players are under paid then over paid. It is rare when a contract exactly matches what a player is "worth".

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 12:59 PM)
Interesting that the players and coaches voted him #2. I tend to believe the player votes more than the fan votes.

It is impossible to compare player contracts. When Lee signed his, he wasn't an All-Star. Do you think if he was negotiating today he would have the same contract? Plus each contract goes through stages where players are under paid then over paid. It is rare when a contract exactly matches what a player is "worth".

The fact is Konerko is going to get paid somewhere around 10 million this offseason and well he is just not worth it. And I tend to believe my own eyes and watching Konerko every sox game over athletes who only really pay attention to their own team and current opponent.

I think its pretty obvious it would be smarter to save the money and not give Konerko and let 1B go to one of Dye, Rogo, or Gload.

Still, 8M+ per year for a player who hits homers and not much else to crow about its somewhat of a high asking price.

Konerko is called slightly above average at 1B, but I consider him merely average defensivly...an 8M+ 1B needs to be above avg on the defensive side as well as hit the long balls (which Konerko does).

Fact is, on a team like the Sox, where the money is spread all around, we have no room for guys making 15M like Magglio, et al...which is why they are gone.

And it's why we are winning.

Balance.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 06:59 AM)

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 08:05 AM)
The fact is Konerko is going to get paid somewhere around 10 million this offseason and well he is just not worth it.  And I tend to believe my own eyes and watching Konerko every sox game over athletes who only really pay attention to their own team and current opponent.

I think its pretty obvious it would be smarter to save the money and not give Konerko and let 1B go to one of Dye, Rogo, or Gload.

I guess if you don't have the money to spend. :) The players are on the field are watching all the other players, not just the player on their team. They see everyone, not just one.

I guess once they get everyone on the team making the exact same money, some people will be happy.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
I guess if you don't have the money to spend. :) The players are on the field are watching all the other players, not just the player on their team. They see everyone, not just one.

I guess once they get everyone on the team making the exact same money, some people will be happy.

No thats not it, some players are obviously worth more than others but Konerko is not worth 10 million. Id rather have Travis Hafner and even though he just got a new contract this season he is getting paid less than Konerko's current contract. If it was Magglio b4 injury id say he is worth 12-14 million for this team. Konerko on the other hand Id say only 6-8 and he is already getting paid a little bit more than 8 I think.

Good analysis. The problem is we start chasing our tails and taking from one stack and never building.

I cannot see how anyone could not place Kong as one of the top 4 1st basemen in the AL. And yes it is about balance. Kong is part of the power balance. We still play in one of the great power hitter's parks in the AL. We should have a couple guys in the line up that can take advantage of that.

He is part of the nucleus and I think trading him for monetary reasons would be a mistake.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 09:00 AM)
Good analysis. The problem is we start chasing our tails and taking from one stack and never building.

I cannot see how anyone could not place Kong as one of the top 4 1st basemen in the AL. And yes it is about balance. Kong is part of the power balance. We still play in one of the great power hitter's parks in the AL. We should have a couple guys in the line up that can take advantage of that.

He is part of the nucleus and I think trading him for monetary reasons would be a mistake.

I agree with you. Konerko is a big part of this team, regardless of some prevailing opinions around Soxtalk.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 06:59 AM)

The players do the same thing as the fans, look at names more then what they're actually doing that season, as evident by pudge rodriguez. Anyways, we've been over this, Pauly made the team because first base is such a weak position this year in the al.

We all saw how worthless Konerko was without Thomas around. We sign Konerko to a big deal, he'll hurt our financial flexibilty with his one-dimensional play. Sure we'll have Thomas next year probably, but after that he might just retire. Then Konerko goes back to his .220, solo-homer hitting self.