2006 Firstbaseman

IndplsSoxFan

From southsidesox.com: "...This is a move that I've quietly asked for. That's not to say that I want Dye out there right now, but I brought it up in another forum that I would send Jermaine to play winter ball somewhere, playing exclusively first base. One of Paul Konerko and Frank Thomas is probably going to be gone next season, and after last night's heroics who can argue to keep Pauly over Frank?

At first base next year the options are Konerko, Gload, and Casey Rogowski. We know what Gload can do, but that he's still in Charlotte, and Dye is getting the start at 1B tells me a lot. Rogowski is a nice prospect, but I don't think he's ever going to be an offensive powerhouse you'd like to have at 1B. Plus, I thik he's more than a year off. I also think Anderson will struggle in the first half next season. So... A platoon of Dye-Gload-Anderson in 1B/RF would be a decent option.

All of this assumes Jermaine can be an adequate defensive 1B. The last time he played 1B was 1998 in AAA. Let's hope he at least has a first basemen's mitt."

Interesting thought.

QUOTE(IndplsSoxFan @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 09:07 PM)
From southsidesox.com:  "...This is a move that I've quietly asked for. That's not to say that I want Dye out there right now, but I brought it up in another forum that I would send Jermaine to play winter ball somewhere, playing exclusively first base. One of Paul Konerko and Frank Thomas is probably going to be gone next season, and after last night's heroics who can argue to keep Pauly over Frank?

At first base next year the options are Konerko, Gload, and Casey Rogowski. We know what Gload can do, but that he's still in Charlotte, and Dye is getting the start at 1B tells me a lot. Rogowski is a nice prospect, but I don't think he's ever going to be an offensive powerhouse you'd like to have at 1B. Plus, I thik he's more than a year off. I also think Anderson will struggle in the first half next season. So... A platoon of Dye-Gload-Anderson in 1B/RF would be a decent option.

All of this assumes Jermaine can be an adequate defensive 1B. The last time he played 1B was 1998 in AAA. Let's hope he at least has a first basemen's mitt."

Interesting thought.

A lot of us around here have thought about this. Jermaine sure did look pretty darn good at first tonight. If he can hold it down I'd love it, Anderson in right, Jermaine at first, Frank still here, Ross and Rogo could also get some time at first. Then you just got Pauly and his money off the books to maybe go after another starting pitcher, don't think there is going to be much to improve in the pen. Got Hermy, Cliff(option), Neal, Damaso, Jenks and Viz(we'll see what happens with him) all locked up for next year.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 09:10 PM)
A lot of us around here have thought about this.  Jermaine sure did look pretty darn good at first tonight.  If he can hold it down I'd love it, Anderson in right, Jermaine at first, Frank still here, Ross and Rogo could also get some time at first.  Then you just got Pauly and his money off the books to maybe go after another starting pitcher, don't think there is going to be much to improve in the pen.  Got Hermy, Cliff(option), Neal, Damaso, Jenks and Viz(we'll see what happens with him) all locked up for next year.

Would Everett start in RF before Anderson?

QUOTE(IndplsSoxFan @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 08:12 PM)
Would Everett start in RF before Anderson?

Everett's a free agent and almost certainly will not be back next year...Frank for sure is a higher priority.

Only way Everett comes back is if KW trades for him mid-season again.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 08:13 PM)
I like the idea! But I still think it will be gloads for the taking if we lose Konerko.

I think Gload's practically earned it...I just worry about his ability to stay healhty, he's been down for a full half a season.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 10:14 PM)
Everett's a free agent and almost certainly will not be back next year...Frank for sure is a higher priority.

There is a team option for everett.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 09:14 PM)

Oh, I wasn't sure if we had an option for next year.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 08:16 PM)
Powerful lefty? Twenty home runs or so over the course of a season isn't what i would consider ''powerfull''.

He's only going to hit 20 or so home runs...but he's probably going to hit well over .300...he did so last year and he's killing them in the minors.

Paulie generates runs with walks and the big fly...Gload can hit some big flies, but can probably generate just as many runs just by getting a lot more hits...if he's healthy.

Gload's also almost gold-glove worthy on defense at 1b.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 09:11 PM)
It would be a very, very risky move. The move would of course open a spot for Anderson, but I don't like the idea.

Cerb, if Dye can prove that he's capable of playing first is it really that risky?? I mean you'd have Dye and Ross who have already proven that they're very good hitters at the major league level, then you have Anderson and Rogo who can possibly be ready to play next year. Maybe Anderson starts the year as the everday rf'er and if he struggles then Jermaine moves back there and Ross can play 1st. There's a ton of options for this spot, personally I want to see it come in house and save the money and improve in other areas.

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 09:21 PM)
he hasnt played a full season so how can you judge it

Look at his minor league numbers, he's not a power hitter, he's a very solid hitter but he's not known for driving the ball out of the park.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 10:22 PM)
Look at his minor league numbers, he's not a power hitter, he's a very solid hitter but he's not known for driving the ball out of the park.

He has great gap power though.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 09:26 PM)
He has great gap power though.

He really does, I love Ross as a hitter, drives the ball to all fields, very solid clutch hitter, he can definitely run for a 1 bagger. I'm a big Ross Gload fan.

Paul Konerko will re-sign as the Sox 1Bman. Frank Thomas will be back as the DH and Dye will play RF. Carl Everett may be gone, but then again maybe not. Rumor is that he might be on the trading block. Brian Anderson and/or Joe Borchard will be the 4th and/or 5th OF'er. Timo will be gone also so the question will be do we sign a reserve IF'er or have the 5th OF'er? Dye will not be playing at IB. I love Frank Thomas, but to say PK will not be there simply because Thomas hit the homer last night only goes to show that old saying, "what have you done for me lately." Lately in this case meaning last night. We shouldn't think so negatively or be so near sighted.