More than Just an All-Star

DukeNukeEm

Anybody notice the strange sense of negativity, the need to change and shakeup the roster a little? The talk of Jason Schmidt? The obsession with Eric Chavez? The fantasies of Joe Randa and Roger Clemens? It seemed as if 1/2 wasnt satisified and wanted winning, but more of it (if thats possible), while the other 1/2 was enjoying the run and wanted things to just run thier course.

Arguments got heated and the board started a major split, Sox Nation in general had the same thing. We all loved the winning, but we were getting spoiled, both 1/2's found it more interesting to argue the things that could go wrong than argue who we'll be playing in the playoffs, and what matchups we should exploit.

Then came Pods.

It unified a splitting Sox fanbase behind one giant need to get the catalyst of the new baseball into the All-Star game. It put the entire board in a good mood, even Hawk and DJ got thier props in!

How many negative posts have thier been since Pods started reeling in votes? Not many.

I think Podsednik did much more than just get into a game that could directly affect what happens to the team. It unified a fanbase behind one simple cause; get this kid to the game, where he belongs. We beat Derek Jeter, the face of baseball. We beat the Yankees, the most dominating sports franchise in History. Us, the White Sox, who many think doesnt even have control of thier own town.

So, thanks Podsednik. Thank you Ozzie. Thank you Mark. And Thank you Soxtalk.com, we set aside or idiotic needs to argue with each other and focus on what we have, the best team in f***ing baseball.

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 10:12 AM)
Anybody notice the strange sense of negativity, the need to change and shakeup the roster a little?  The talk of Jason Schmidt?  The obsession with Eric Chavez?  The fantasies of Joe Randa and Roger Clemens?  It seemed as if 1/2 wasnt satisified and wanted winning, but more of it (if thats possible), while the other 1/2 was enjoying the run and wanted things to just run thier course.

Arguments got heated and the board started a major split, Sox Nation in general had the same thing.  We all loved the winning, but we were getting spoiled, both 1/2's found it more interesting to argue the things that could go wrong than argue who we'll be playing in the playoffs, and what matchups we should exploit.

Then came Pods.

It unified a splitting Sox fanbase behind one giant need to get the catalyst of the new baseball into the All-Star game.  It put the entire board in a good mood, even Hawk and DJ got thier props in!

How many negative posts have thier been since Pods started reeling in votes? Not many.

I think Podsednik did much more than just get into a game that could directly affect what happens to the team.  It unified a fanbase behind one simple cause; get this kid to the game, where he belongs.  We beat Derek Jeter, the face of baseball.  We beat the Yankees, the most dominating sports franchise in History.  Us, the White Sox, who many think doesnt even have control of thier own town.

So, thanks Podsednik.  Thank you Ozzie.  Thank you Mark.  And Thank you Soxtalk.com, we set aside or idiotic needs to argue with each other and focus on what we have, the best team in f***ing baseball.

:notworthy

There is no doubt. For the last 3 days there has been much less b****ing and moaning as a whole. Honestly, as a Sox fan yesterday was such a perfect day and at this point how can you b****?? 10.5 game lead, we got scotty in the ASG, everythings just awesome right now.

It did stop a lot of the negative talk and brought us together for the greater good. I think we all had a pretty good day yesterdday.

The board is in a generally positive swing right now. Just wait until we lose a game 3-1 and get 4 hits, the negativity will be right back.

It did stop a lot of the negative talk and brought us together for the greater good. I think we all had a pretty good day yesterdday.

The board is in a generally positive swing right now. Just wait until we lose a game 3-1 and get 4 hits, the negativity will be right back.

Yea, but I'd be willing to call this the high-point of the season. I dont think things could be any better.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)

Kalapse, your avatar is slowing down the board...every time I hit your posts, I have a hard time scrolling.

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
Anybody notice the strange sense of negativity, the need to change and shakeup the roster a little?  The talk of Jason Schmidt?  The obsession with Eric Chavez?  The fantasies of Joe Randa and Roger Clemens?  It seemed as if 1/2 wasnt satisified and wanted winning, but more of it (if thats possible), while the other 1/2 was enjoying the run and wanted things to just run thier course.

Arguments got heated and the board started a major split, Sox Nation in general had the same thing.  We all loved the winning, but we were getting spoiled, both 1/2's found it more interesting to argue the things that could go wrong than argue who we'll be playing in the playoffs, and what matchups we should exploit.

Then came Pods.

It unified a splitting Sox fanbase behind one giant need to get the catalyst of the new baseball into the All-Star game.  It put the entire board in a good mood, even Hawk and DJ got thier props in!

I think Podsednik did much more than just get into a game that could directly affect what happens to the team.  It unified a fanbase behind one simple cause; get this kid to the game, where he belongs.  We beat Derek Jeter, the face of baseball.  We beat the Yankees, the most dominating sports franchise in History.  Us, the White Sox, who many think doesnt even have control of thier own town.

So, thanks Podsednik.  Thank you Ozzie.  Thank you Mark.  And Thank you Soxtalk.com, we set aside or idiotic needs to argue with each other and focus on what we have, the best team in f***ing baseball.

:notworthy :notworthy POST OF THE YEAR :notworthy :notworthy

I think what helped was Mark getting on the mic at the park and talking to the fans directly. So often athletes seem aloof or like they tune the crowd out completely. Mark reached out and we reached back.

Maybe Mark should get on the mic and ask everyone to bring 3 more friends to the next game tyhy go to. You just might see a sellout the rest of the season.

I also can't help but think that this vote might really come out as one of those things people point to at the end of the season as something that really brought this team together.

Think about it...this team started the year with people ripping on its fans for not showing up at ballgames, people ripping on the manager for his "Tirades", people ripping on the GM for trading away a slugger...and we're barely a couple years removed from hearing even worse...anyone else remember when Buehrle said that the Sox fans might not know that much about baseball in 2003?

This whole team, including ownership, players, and fans, just sat down and put one of its guys on the all-star team. People who were injured spent time voting. The Sox's supposedly anemic fan base just roared to life.

I can't imagine how the guys in the clubhouse must feel to have just seen us put out this kind of effort on behalf of one of them. We've given them all the standing ovations and curtain calls in the world this year...but this time...we got into it and we did a hell of a job on behalf of one of them.

These guys now know that there is a city behind them...and I don't know if there's anything that could possibly make them feel better. Hell, it makes me feel better just watching it.

I also can't help but think that this vote might really come out as one of those things people point to at the end of the season as something that really brought this team together.

Think about it...this team started the year with people ripping on its fans for not showing up at ballgames, people ripping on the manager for his "Tirades", people ripping on the GM for trading away a slugger...and we're barely a couple years removed from hearing even worse...anyone else remember when Buehrle said that the Sox fans might not know that much about baseball in 2003?

This whole team, including ownership, players, and fans, just sat down and put one of its guys on the all-star team.  People who were injured spent time voting.  The Sox's supposedly anemic fan base just roared to life.

I can't imagine how the guys in the clubhouse must feel to have just seen us put out this kind of effort on behalf of one of them.  We've given them all the standing ovations and curtain calls in the world this year...but this time...we got into it and we did a hell of a job on behalf of one of them.

These guys now know that there is a city behind them...and I don't know if there's anything that could possibly make them feel better.  Hell, it makes me feel better just watching it.

Exactly.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 04:47 PM)

This whole team, including ownership, players, and fans, just sat down and put one of its guys on the all-star team.  People who were injured spent time voting.  The Sox's supposedly anemic fan base just roared to life.

I can't imagine how the guys in the clubhouse must feel to have just seen us put out this kind of effort on behalf of one of them.  We've given them all the standing ovations and curtain calls in the world this year...but this time...we got into it and we did a hell of a job on behalf of one of them.

These guys now know that there is a city behind them...and I don't know if there's anything that could possibly make them feel better.  Hell, it makes me feel better just watching it.

:sweep:

Nice post. Getting Pods elected over Jeter was a real eye opener, and a great day to be a Sox fan. I think it also helped unify this team even more and made them feel great that they have people behind them.

Here in DC, you can chalk up a huge portion of the Expos rise as the Nats to the team having a home and the backing of new fans. It really helps athletes play better.

I hope it propels the Sox to even greater heights in the second half, where the only improvement we could make is to start taking it to the better teams the way we have pounded the weaker teams.

GO SOX!

QUOTE(TheBlackSox8 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 11:45 AM)
A sweep puts the Sox at 60 wins for 1/2 way. 

I'm not saying,  I'm just saying.

Go SOX :gosox3:  :gosox2:  :gosoxretro:  :gosox4:  :gosox1:  :bringit

Oakland's obviously been hot as hell but if we're going to to do it, we have the right 3 guys going.

QUOTE(wsox08 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 12:02 PM)
Who is up for a Sox-Nats world series?

that would be sweet, although i would prefer a sox/cards world series. my reasons are two-fold

1. to prove we really are the best team in baseball

2. to rub it in my roommates face! :D