Jimmy Piersall Can Go To Hell

Winnin Ugly

Rob Dibble had this to say

Baseball wants the All-Star game to have meaning? I don't get it.

If the game means so much, why are some of baseball's best players not in the game?

Derek Jeter just lost out on the internet vote to Scott Podsednik. That never should have happened. And Michael Young is more deserving than Jeter??? Don't make me laugh.

If I were starting a team right now, the first player I'd take would be Jeter. No one is more clutch in big games than him, no other shortstop in baseball has more championships, and no other shortstop has to play in a tougher media town.

You'll never find a better person to represent baseball than Derek Jeter. His numbers easily warrant him being in Detroit, and the fact that he had to be on the list of five players that had to beg for votes is a disgrace to the game.

First, the fact that home-field advantage is decided by this game is a joke.

Second, can you imagine an NBA All-Star game without Michael Jordan or Magic Johnson? Neither can I, and Jeter is the Jordan of baseball.

Third, if this game means so much to the outcome of the World Series, then put the best players out there on the field and forget the "player from every team" concept. Some teams don't have All-Stars, and fans don't want to see those players anyway, especially if they don't deserve it.

If you want to do that stupid internet vote, let the fans of those non-deserving players vote their player onto the team, that way, when some team doesn't have a player, only the fans are to blame. The All-Star game is a joke, especially when the best players are not going to be there.

Derek Jeter is better than the All-Star game. It makes me sick that he won't be there.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 07:07 PM)
How many times have Sox players who were clearly better been screwed out of an ASG spot because of voting?  For that matter, I'm still angry about Thomas getting screwed out of the MVP back in 2000 by roid -freak Giambi. 

I totally think Pods should be there because while the only stat he has that stands out is his steals he does so much for this team.

Between him and Gooch they carried the offense while the sluggers were struggling.

He helps other hitters get good counts and better pitches to hit because his presence on the basepaths is a major distraction to the opposing team.

Not everything a player does to make a team better gets counted in the stat column. 

What has Jeter or Matsui done to make their team better?

well, besides keep them afloat, nothing I guess.

but I agree with the rest, Pods' average isn't too shabby, neither is his OBP, and his OPS is so low because he doesn't hit for power (why should he, he gets on 1st and then steals 2nd, that's as good as a double right there). I'd say his 41 steals along with the solid average and OBP makes him a legit all-star.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 07:41 PM)
Ask yourself this...would you say a guy is an all star starter if he's hitting .259/.317/.430 with 9 home runs and 36 RBIs?

That's not an AL OFer.

Basically your argument is that Hey theres another crappy All-Star. Pods should go. Gimme a break.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 07:41 PM)
Ask yourself this...would you say a guy is an all star starter if he's hitting .259/.317/.430 with 9 home runs and 36 RBIs?

those are pudges stats right?

edit: whos stats are those

Edited by chi-guy2

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 07:47 PM)
Rob Dibble had this to say

Baseball wants the All-Star game to have meaning? I don't get it.

If the game means so much, why are some of baseball's best players not in the game?

Derek Jeter just lost out on the internet vote to Scott Podsednik. That never should have happened. And Michael Young is more deserving than Jeter??? Don't make me laugh.

If I were starting a team right now, the first player I'd take would be Jeter. No one is more clutch in big games than him, no other shortstop in baseball has more championships, and no other shortstop has to play in a tougher media town.

You'll never find a better person to represent baseball than Derek Jeter. His numbers easily warrant him being in Detroit, and the fact that he had to be on the list of five players that had to beg for votes is a disgrace to the game.

First, the fact that home-field advantage is decided by this game is a joke.

Second, can you imagine an NBA All-Star game without Michael Jordan or Magic Johnson? Neither can I, and Jeter is the Jordan of baseball.

Third, if this game means so much to the outcome of the World Series, then put the best players out there on the field and forget the "player from every team" concept. Some teams don't have All-Stars, and fans don't want to see those players anyway, especially if they don't deserve it.

If you want to do that stupid internet vote, let the fans of those non-deserving players vote their player onto the team, that way, when some team doesn't have a player, only the fans are to blame. The All-Star game is a joke, especially when the best players are not going to be there.

Derek Jeter is better than the All-Star game. It makes me sick that he won't be there.

I don't think Pods should be there, but this quote made my day. I love hearing the ESPNers get all up in arms about a Jeterless ASG. :lol:

Guest JimH

I really think you guys take this Podsednik stuff too personally. Whether it's Jimmy Piersall, Jay Mariotti, the ESPN guys, whomever. It's only their opinion and what difference does it really make?

It's their job to say controversial things and make people notice them. Attention equals ratings.

To me, none of this is a big deal in the slightest.

I really don't understand why everyone is so upset. Just because people don't think are players are great doesn't make them wrong. There is another thread started that praised our team. Are they better analysts? I don't think so. Sutcliffe has never been a fan of the Whitesox, and next year he will probably say we suck. Alot of these guys have played the game and now they analyze it. It doesn't make them wrong or right. We know what we have. Pods got in because people stacked the ballot box, otherwise nobody would have taken him. The system worked as it was laid out.

I don't think Podsednik had a better resume to go to the All-Star Game than the 4 players he was up against.

That said, I'm glad he is going because the vote. It really showed how our fans have rallied around this team to support it and our players. It's a really great feeling.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 07:28 PM)
I really don't understand why everyone is so upset. Just because people don't think are players are great doesn't make them wrong. There is another thread started that praised our team. Are they better analysts? I don't think so. Sutcliffe has never been a fan of the Whitesox, and next year he will probably say we suck. Alot of these guys have played the game and now they analyze it. It doesn't make them wrong or right. We know what we have. Pods got in because people stacked the ballot box, otherwise nobody would have taken him. The system worked as it was laid out.

You, take your logic and get the F outta here.

EDIT: By the way, just saw Show's signature and nearly spat H2O all over the screen. Well done ol' sport. :lol: :cheers

Edited by AddisonStSox

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 09:23 PM)
You, take your logic and get the F outta here.

EDIT: By the way, just saw Show's signature and nearly spat H2O all over the screen.  Well done ol' sport. :lol:  :cheers

Thanks.

I did that a few weeks ago when someone was ripping on Ozzie for something silly.

Like Earl Weaver once said: "If this (beep)sucker would let me manage the (friggin) team we'd be a lot better off."

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 09:45 PM)
It doesn't bother me, just caught off guard. I was thinking maybe one was copying the other. :D

In all star balloting they pick rf, lf, cf, 3b,ss, 2b,1b, and catchers with the best numbers.. Those are positons well the leadoff man is a position too. Podsednik has not not only become a great leadoff man but the man who goes first is also a team leader something that statistics don't always show. Many teams have never seen a pure leadoff man and so far scotty has has proven day in and day out his value not with home runs rbis but with intensity on the base paths. Perhaps his dissenters have never seen how baseball is suppose to be played.. Show em PODS.

QUOTE(forrestg @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 03:15 AM)
Podsednik has not not only become a great leadoff man but the man who goes first is also a team leader something that statistics don't always show. 

:lol:

I guess that you have to be charismatic to even get on base and put yourself in a position to score runs, lol?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 01:38 AM)
Jimmy Piersall also thinks the White Sox are going all the way.

Right on. He has talked about our pitching and our defense up the middle time and time again. s***, he's an expert on defensive baseball and fundamentals in general. One can learn a s***load if they listen to him on a consistent basis. I loooove Jimmy Piersall, always have.

To the creator of this thread: boooooooo :chair

Oh no so and so says Pods shouldnt be an All-Star...who gives a flying f***.

Come on people - that was awesome dedication that was shown by Sox fans everywhere to get Pods in the game.

Are there better players? Yes. Are they the catalyst for the best team in baseball? Pods got his due for setting the table for the best team in baseball.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 10:42 PM)
Right on.  He has talked about our pitching and our defense up the middle time and time again.  s***, he's an expert on defensive baseball and fundamentals in general.  One can learn a s***load if they listen to him on a consistent basis.  I loooove Jimmy Piersall, always have.

To the creator of this thread: boooooooo    :chair

I clicked on your profile by accident. That picture in your profile is friggen hilarious.

chandler_sosa_030624.jpg

:lolhitting :lolhitting

Edited by greasywheels121

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 07:25 PM)
He's an average at best defensive OFer.

Not sure how the stat is calculated but Podsednik leads all AL left fielders and is second to only Brady Clark in defensive win shares for left fielders.

But I've seen him take bad routes so maybe it can't account for balls you don't get to.

Edited by 3E8

As much as baseball is statistics oriented, statistics alone cannot translate the value of Podsednik and his relentless pressure on the opposition's pitching and defense. He is a huge part of our teams's remarkable success. When statistics were examined the last 3 year's, did it make any sense that we came up so short against the Twins? If the American league is in a one run game, look no further than Scotty Po to be the difference maker. As with our team, he will be a huge bullet in the American league's holster. :gosox4:

Edited by ottawa_sox