Bird Dies

mreye

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- The daddy osprey hit with a baseball allegedly thrown by a minor league pitcher has died, officials said.

Ozzy the osprey died Sunday at the Audubon Birds of Prey Center in Maitland, said Lynda White, a spokeswoman at the center. The bird was one of a breeding pair that lived for years on a 40-foot light pole in left field at Jackie Robinson Ballpark.

Witnesses said Jae Kuk Ryu, a 19-year-old South Korean pitcher for the Class A Daytona Cubs, tried several times during pregame practice April 21 to knock the osprey from its perch with a baseball before finally hitting it.

At the time, Ozzy was nesting with its mate and a brood of fuzzy chicks.

Ryu was charged Thursday by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission with harming a protected bird. The second-degree misdemeanor carries a maximum fine of $500 and 60 days in jail.

Commission officials said Monday that the death doesn't affect the charges.

Ryu was later demoted to the Class A Lansing Lugnuts of the Midwest League. Cubs general manager Buck Rogers said Ryu was remorseful.

Ospreys are recognized by the state as a species of special concern, meaning their habitats are vulnerable.

The bird's mate, Harriet, will raise her chicks and probably take a new mate next season, White said. Another osprey already has been seen at the park, helping feed the babies.

Ryu isn't the first ballplayer to target a bird with a thrown ball. On Aug. 4, 1983, Yankees outfielder Dave Winfield killed a seagull in Toronto with a warmup throw. The Ontario police charged him with animal cruelty, although the charge was later dropped.

We should deport this punk! :angry:

Not for killing a bird. I mean....it's a tragedy...but it's nothing way huge.

I know the bird was protected....but still....it was a bird. That'd be like kicking someone out of a pizza place for chewing with their mouth open.

Not for killing a bird.  I mean....it's a tragedy...but it's nothing way huge.

I know the bird was protected....but still....it was a bird.  That'd be like kicking someone out of a pizza place for chewing with their mouth open.

Well, kick him out of baseball for being such a jerk. I really hate this guy... :angry:

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- The daddy osprey hit with a baseball allegedly thrown by a minor league pitcher has died, officials said.

Ozzy the osprey died Sunday at the Audubon Birds of Prey Center in Maitland, said Lynda White, a spokeswoman at the center. The bird was one of a breeding pair that lived for years on a 40-foot light pole in left field at Jackie Robinson Ballpark.

Witnesses said Jae Kuk Ryu, a 19-year-old South Korean pitcher for the Class A Daytona Cubs, tried several times during pregame practice April 21 to knock the osprey from its perch with a baseball before finally hitting it.

At the time, Ozzy was nesting with its mate and a brood of fuzzy chicks.

Ryu was charged Thursday by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission with harming a protected bird. The second-degree misdemeanor carries a maximum fine of $500 and 60 days in jail.

Commission officials said Monday that the death doesn't affect the charges.

Ryu was later demoted to the Class A Lansing Lugnuts of the Midwest League. Cubs general manager Buck Rogers said Ryu was remorseful.

Ospreys are recognized by the state as a species of special concern, meaning their habitats are vulnerable.

The bird's mate, Harriet, will raise her chicks and probably take a new mate next season, White said. Another osprey already has been seen at the park, helping feed the babies.

Ryu isn't the first ballplayer to target a bird with a thrown ball. On Aug. 4, 1983, Yankees outfielder Dave Winfield killed a seagull in Toronto with a warmup throw. The Ontario police charged him with animal cruelty, although the charge was later dropped.

Another reason to hate the Cubs.

CWSOX45

:fyou

I know the bird was protected....but still....it was a bird.  That'd be like kicking someone out of a pizza place for chewing with their mouth open.

Well, kick him out of baseball for being such a jerk. I really hate this guy... :angry:

Ben Christiansen(?) for the Cubs a few years ago knocked a player out of baseball by hitting him in the eye. He wasn't kicked out. Karma caught up to him and he's had shoulder problems that have basically ruined his career...but he wasn't kicked out. Hell, you know that Ty Cobb even murdered people....and he wasn't kicked out. Hell, he's known as one of the best ever to play the game.

The ultimate sin in baseball is to gamble/throw games. If you do that, and you are caught, you will be kicked out.

Ryu will not get kicked out for killing a protected bird. He should be fined heavily and hopefully karma catches up to him as well....but he won't be kicked out.

not a good comparison, my friend.

There is no reason to kill a living creature just for the hell of it.

An intentional attack is unexcusable on this large beautiful bird that does no one no harm and is part of the world in which we inhabit.

People who are cruel to animals usually have other problems and it surely says something about character.

Respect for life includes all life. This bird was not killed to feed a hungry person. It was killed for the hell of it, because someone could. And that is despicable.

not a good comparison, my friend.

There is no reason to kill a living creature just for the hell of it.

An intentional attack is unexcusable on this large beautiful bird that does no one no harm and is part of the world in which we inhabit.

People who are cruel to animals usually have other problems and it surely says something about character.

Respect for life includes all life. This bird was not killed to feed a hungry person. It was killed for the hell of it, because someone could. And that is despicable.

I am not good at making comparisons. I can tell you that.

And I agree that it is cruel and sick.

But, although it is a tragedy that the bird is dead...and that it was killed intentionally...he shouldn't be deported because of it. Ben Christiansen, or whatever his name was, intentionally tried to hit a person with his fastball....and it ruined a possible bright future for a kid by blinding him, and he basically ruined his life. And while letting Christiansen stay in the game of baseball was not the right decision....you have to follow that.

Maybe that's what I meant to say and I am sorry for the poor comparison.

I am not good at making comparisons.  I can tell you that.

And I agree that it is cruel and sick.

But, although it is a tragedy that the bird is dead...and that it was killed intentionally...he shouldn't be deported because of it. <clip>

Maybe that's what I meant to say and I am sorry for the poor comparison.

that is very fair -

you've not been here as much lately or have I just been missing your posts?

Ride em Broncos!

I am ne of GR right now but aching to return to kazoo - when did you graduate? If you were there 95-96 I may have sold you your Jimmy John's -

if you were there before 94 you probably have no idea what Jimmy Johns' is -

I lived in Vine and that is where I am returning, in the shadows of East Campus

Ride em Broncos!

I am ne of GR right now but aching to return to kazoo - when did you graduate?  If you were there 95-96 I may have sold you your Jimmy John's -

if you were there before 94 you probably have no idea what Jimmy Johns' is -

I lived in Vine and that is where I am returning, in the shadows of East Campus

lol nah im old, i graduated in 89. One of my best friends lived in GR for years, he lives in some Detroit suburb now. I remember being able to drink 5 cent beers on campus..........ahhh the good ol days lol.

lol nah im old, i graduated in 89.  One of my best friends lived in GR for years, he lives in some Detroit suburb now.  I remember being able to drink 5 cent beers on campus..........ahhh the good ol days lol.

The WMU campus is beautiful now - they have done a lot of building and work o it - you should see Waldo - the sports and athletic facilities are outstanding for a school of that size and the programs in aviation and business are really top level. I love Kazoo - gotta get back!

Guest hotsoxchick1
Simply disgusting.

That motherf***er will get his one day -- hopefully from Bubba in Cell 5, because anyone who would do something like that has severe psychological problems, and they normally end up in prison.

:o :o :o :o :o such language for a veggie tale............im shocked.......... :o :headbang :D lol

Simply disgusting.

That motherf***er will get his one day -- hopefully from Bubba in Cell 5, because anyone who would do something like that has severe psychological problems, and they normally end up in prison.

:o :o :o :o :o such language for a veggie tale............im shocked.......... :o :headbang :D lol

me too!

Mr Rogers has left the building with all the lessons from the Veggie Tales forgotten

Simply disgusting.

10 years, right clujer.. ;)

Simply disgusting.

Ahhhh, ya beat me to it, Steff!

I was going to say that in most states, Ryu would only get probation, unless the bird's widow pressed charges!!

;)

The guy is stupid, and karma will probably catch up to him too.

Simply disgusting.

Ahhhh, ya beat me to it, Steff!

I was going to say that in most states, Ryu would only get probation, unless the bird's widow pressed charges!!

;)

The guy is stupid, and karma will probably catch up to him too.

ROTFLMAO!! The birds widow!! OMG... toooooo funny!! :D :P ;)