Larry Hughes

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives...with_cleveland/

They needed a shooter more than anything. But after losing out on Allen and Redd, they were obviously desperate. Hughes is a fine all around player. I think this is a good move for them. Now if they can resign Z and sign Antonio Daniels with the MLE, they're in business.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 01:19 AM)
Larry Hughes was always the type to go where the money was and "screw winning".

I thought that Redd and Allen were supposed to go to Cleveland because of the winning with King James and were the greedy ones for staying where the money was?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 02:00 PM)
I thought that Redd and Allen were supposed to go to Cleveland because of the winning with King James and were the greedy ones for staying where the money was?

Washington>>>>>>>Cleveland>>>>Milwaukee.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 04:11 AM)
Washington>>>>>>>Cleveland>>>>Milwaukee.

Not now if Hughes signs with the Cavs. Wizards have no resemblance of a post game with their big men, and they'll struggle to make the playoffs next season because the East is pretty close b/w those 5-12 spots.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 11:18 AM)
Not now if Hughes signs with the Cavs. Wizards have no resemblance of a post game with their big men, and they'll struggle to make the playoffs next season because the East is pretty close b/w those 5-12 spots.

Now that they don't have to pay Hughes, does that leave the Wiz cap space to go after another big man (Ilgauskas/Curry/Chandler?)

They also have Kwame Brown who is still at least something of an asset that can be used in a sign and trade...there are probably still teams who would be willing to give him a shot.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 04:23 AM)
Now that they don't have to pay Hughes, does that leave the Wiz cap space to go after another big man (Ilgauskas/Curry/Chandler?)

They also have Kwame Brown who is still at least something of an asset that can be used in a sign and trade...there are probably still teams who would be willing to give him a shot.

It depends who Brown signs with. If its the Knicks or Hawks, not really much of a sign and trade that the Wizards would really want. I do expect them to join the Curry hunt now however, but he won't sign there because of Brenda Haywood.

:lol:

It's gonna be one hell of a battle between the Cavs and the Bucks for last place.

You need defense in the worst way, but you sign Larry Hughes for what, 13 million per year????

What's worse is that you have these defensive powerhouses like Detroit and Indiana in your own division. Sweet Jesus. For example, in the NFL, in a division like the AFC East let's say, teams adapt. The Jets go out and draft Abraham, Elllis, Robertson, and Vilma in consecutive drafts. The Bills go out and get Takeo Spikes, Pat Williams, Sam Adams, Lawyer Milloy, etc. How else are you gonna pose a threat to that crazy motherf***ing defensive powerhouse in Boston?

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing the Cavs get whooped. Perhaps they'll win 45, but they're still gonna get their asses handed to them in the first round. Talk about a stooopid f***ing organization, OMG.

Edited by hammerhead johnson

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 02:09 PM)
:lol:

It's gonna be one hell of a battle between the Cavs and the Bucks for last place.

You need defense in the worst way, but you sign Larry Hughes for what, 13 million per year???? 

What's worse is that you have these defensive powerhouses like Detroit and Indiana in your own division.  Sweet Jesus.

Seriously - even the Bulls are coming on strong as a defensive team.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 02:19 AM)
Larry Hughes was always the type to go where the money was and "screw winning".

Wow, okay, Hughes was making a little less than the MLE last year. Plus he was an unrestricted FA after the season. Secondly, since this is the second time being a FA, how can you say that he said screw winning?? That statement makes no sense. Third, Hughes is probably the nicest guy's you'll ever meet. His brother has some type of disease and over half of what he gets goes to research to help him out and others who have the same condition as his brother(I forget what it is, but it's major) and winning means a crap load to him which is why he signed with the Wizards when Jordan came back.

This statement is flat out wrong.

As far as the Wizards, they don't have cap room. They were over the cap last year with Hughes. Only reason why he wasn't retained was because they couldn't afford him. Since he wasn't a RFA, they didn't hold his rights and therefore couldn't go higher than the MLE to keep him which every team has to play with. He thinks he could be part of the solution with LeBron in Cleveland so I'll commend him for that. Wizards are slightly under the cap, but they don't have much to be a player in FA, even with Hughes leaving.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 03:09 PM)

He led the NBA in steals last year and was All Defensive First Team. I'd take him over Michael Redd, who has racked up all of his stats the past few team on a team with a bunch of nobodies. Hughes averaged over 20 points last year with Jamison and Arenas hogging the ball as well and got to the 2nd round on a team with no center.

Also, comparing the NFL and the NBA makes no sense.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 05:27 PM)
He led the NBA in steals last year and was All Defensive First Team.  I'd take him over Michael Redd, who has racked up all of his stats the past few team on a team with a bunch of nobodies.  Hughes averaged over 20 points last year with Jamison and Arenas hogging the ball as well and got to the 2nd round on a team with no center.

Also, comparing the NFL and the NBA makes no sense.

He also gets burned on defense the entire game going for those steals. He doesn't lead the league in steals he would have been on the all defensive fourth team.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 06:32 PM)
He also gets burned on defense the entire game going for those steals. He doesn't lead the league in steals he would have been on the all defensive fourth team.

He must have done something right to get his team past the "Baby Bulls" and into the second round.

The guy is coming off a career year and all you people can do is rip Cleveland for signing him.

He is not a superstar, but he is a solid player that does a bit of everything. He can dish it a bit, he can rebound well for a guard, he scores and he can rack up steals. He's not a great three point shooter.

He will be fine as the 2nd or 3rd option in Cleveland.

I do recall him dropping 33, 9 boards, 7 assists, 3 steals and just two turnovers in the big game 5 at Chicago. Or was I just dreaming?

Edited by aboz56

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 05:35 PM)
He must have done something right to get his team past the "Baby Bulls" and into the second round.

The guy is coming off a career year and all you people can do is rip Cleveland for signing him.

He is not a superstar, but he is a solid player that does a bit of everything.  He can dish it a bit, he can rebound well for a guard, he scores and he can rack up steals.  He's not a great three point shooter.

He will be fine as the 2nd or 3rd option in Cleveland.

I do recall him dropping 33, 9 board, 7 assists, 3 steals and just two turnovers in the big game 5 at Chicago.  Or was I just dreaming?

He had a good series against the bulls both defensively and offensively... i am not gonna deny it. Fact is he is not a good defender no matter what his steal numbers suggest. If he kept guys in front of him and had 1.5 less steals a game i woul dbe more impressed.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 10:27 PM)
comparing the NFL and the NBA makes no sense.

I was talking about adapting to the competition within your division by focusing on certain facets. This applies to all of the major sports. I'm not comparing any two sports straight up. Sure it makes sense, analogies don't get much more simple than that.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 10:27 PM)
He led the NBA in steals last year and was All Defensive First Team.

And that is one of the biggest travesties I've ever seen since I became a serious basketball fan like 15 years ago. 1st Team NBA defense, OMG.

Larry Hughes is a run of the mill defender out of the SG slot. He just doesn't have what it takes to play consistently good defense night in and night out. You wanna see a compulsive gambler who can't stay in front of guys? Look no further than Mr. Larry Hughes. Hell yes box score fans will tell you he's a good defender, I wouldn't expect otherwise.

Hammer should like this...

Hot-lanta to the max

A player personnel source in the NBA's Eastern Conference tells us that the Atlanta Hawks not only intend to offer Suns restricted free agent guard Joe Johnson a maximum contract offer on July 22, there are people within the Hawks organization saying they're going to end up getting him.

The exact contract could be worth between $68 million and $72 million for a five-year deal, which is what all other teams can offer Johnson.

The Suns could offer around $90 million for six seasons, but we hear the offer they have made is for six years and about $60 million.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/che...p2main0708.html

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 10:35 PM)
all you people can do is rip Cleveland for signing him.

He is not a superstar, but he is a solid player that does a bit of everything. 

He ain't worth no 13 million. I'd give him maybe 6. :huh

I'm ripping Cleveland the organization, the straight-up laughingstock. There is plenty of comedy to be found in the NBA, Cleveland is just one of the many destinations.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 11:21 PM)
Hughes is a pretty good on the ball defender. There's a reason why he was first team All NBA Defense. There's a ton of guys who are towards the top for steals and don't get the award so to suggest that he only got on because of his steal numbers is pretty poor.

No, it's not poor. What is poor is the fact that you spend so much time researching basketball, and you still don't know what's up in a lot of cases. Maybe you're just not looking at the right things, I dunno. It's pretty much common knowlege to any serious basketball fan that Larry Hughes is a run of the mill defender. I mean, you only have to watch a couple of games to find that out. Pretty good on-the-ball defender my ass.