Larry Hughes

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 05:35 PM)
He must have done something right to get his team past the "Baby Bulls" and into the second round.

The guy is coming off a career year and all you people can do is rip Cleveland for signing him.

He is not a superstar, but he is a solid player that does a bit of everything.  He can dish it a bit, he can rebound well for a guard, he scores and he can rack up steals.  He's not a great three point shooter.

He will be fine as the 2nd or 3rd option in Cleveland.

I do recall him dropping 33, 9 boards, 7 assists, 3 steals and just two turnovers in the big game 5 at Chicago.  Or was I just dreaming?

Good post. There are just a couple of certain posters who have chosen favorites and players to hate no matter what they do. Keeping an open mind is a lost concept...

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 06:43 PM)
No, it's not poor.  What is poor is the fact that you spend so much time researching basketball, and you still don't know what's up in a lot of cases.  Maybe you're just not looking at the right things, I dunno.  It's pretty much common knowlege to any serious basketball fan that Larry Hughes is a run of the mill defender.  I mean, you only have to watch a couple of games to find that out.  Pretty good on-the-ball defender my ass.

Like Joe Johnson, right?

Stop reading scouting reports from 2 seasons ago.

Although he may not be worth that money, he is a solid player who seriously emerged and had a great season. Forget about what you thought of him prior to last season and realize how well he played. I watched a couple of games, saw him extensively in the playoffs, and came to the conclusion that he is certainly a much better defender than you and your "serious basketball fans" give him credit for.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 07:03 PM)
Good post.  There are just a couple of certain posters who have chosen favorites and players to hate no matter what they do.  Keeping an open mind is a lost concept...

Like Joe Johnson, right?

Stop reading scouting reports from 2 seasons ago. 

Although he may not be worth that money, he is a solid player who seriously emerged and had a great season.  Forget about what you thought of him prior to last season and realize how well he played.  I watched a couple of games, saw him extensively in the playoffs, and came to the conclusion that he is certainly a much better defender than you and your "serious basketball fans" give him credit for.

Thank you. You have given me hope for basketball fans on this board. And yeah, I don't get how anyone calls Joe Johnson a bad defender. He's an above average defender. Some people improve on things hammerhead, especially in 2 years. He was a pretty poor defender when he was defending nothing but PG's while with Philly and with Washington, but as a SG, he's an + on the ball defender and he's great at anticipation of the pass. He's simply a ballhawk.

Larry Hughes will improve that team and he's going to make a good 2nd or 3rd option.

As far as Atlanta, the reason why they are going to try to sign Johnson to a full offer sheet is because they plan on at least trading Al Harrington + Childress for Eddy Curry if a S&T is done. There are rumors that Pax is looking at Harrington and Atlanta badly wants Curry. The Bulls still aren't sure of Eddy.

ATL:

C-Curry

PF-Marvin Williams(though like Lamar Odom, I think his best position would be SF)

SF-Josh Smith

SG-Joe Johnson

PG-Salim Stoudamire

CHI:

C-Chandler

PF-Harrington

SF-Deng

SG-Hinrich

PG-Duhon

Lineup may change for the Bulls though because Pax wants to develop Deng into a SG.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 02:58 AM)
Thank you. You have given me hope for basketball fans on this board. And yeah, I don't get how anyone calls Joe Johnson a bad defender. He's an above average defender. Some people improve on things hammerhead, especially in 2 years. He was a pretty poor defender when he was defending nothing but PG's while with Philly and with Washington, but as a SG, he's an + on the ball defender and he's great at anticipation of the pass. He's simply a ballhawk.

I'm still trying to figure out who the poster child was for Washinton's absolutely atrocious defense this past year. Hmm, let's see. You have confused Kwame, slow-footed Brendan Haywood, sweet Antawn, a compulsive gambler in Larry Hughes, etc.

Here comes another football analogy. :o

I'd liken Hughes to a CB who will get 10 interceptions, but also get burnt for a touchdown like damn near every game. Here's a difficult concept: It's not wise to go for the turnover every freaking time. You have to pick and choose your spots. Being overly opportunistic is not necessarily a good thing.

And in regards to Joe Johnson, here's an exact quote from a review before the 2004-2005 season started:

Joe Johnson is strong offensively, but he's weak defensively and tends to float in and out of consciousness on the court

Tell me something. How was his defense coming into this season, and also, name me some guys who have drastically changed overnight (in less than a year's time, basically). This ought to be fun. I'm not saying that I'm right, I just want to hear why I'm wrong.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 05:21 PM)
Hughes is a pretty good on the ball defender. There's a reason why he was first team All NBA Defense. There's a ton of guys who are towards the top for steals and don't get the award so to suggest that he only got on because of his steal numbers is pretty poor.

Hughes got the award because of his steals, period. He's not a good defender at all, in fact him making first team all defense was like Jeter winning a gold glove last year. A lot of these awards mean nothing, absolutely nothing.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 03:54 PM)
Hughes got the award because of his steals, period.  He's not a good defender at all, in fact him making first team all defense was like Jeter winning a gold glove last year.  A lot of these awards mean nothing, absolutely nothing.

He is a pretty good defender. He did not get it because of steals alone. If that was the case, Jamal Crawford would've made the All NBA Defensive Team the year before last. Hughes is a pretty good defender and that's why he got the award, not because he led the league in steals. Hell, I think Jim Jackson led the league in steals in 99 and didn't get on the All NBA Defensive Team. To say it was just his steals is ludicrous.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 05:54 PM)
Hughes got the award because of his steals, period.  He's not a good defender at all, in fact him making first team all defense was like Jeter winning a gold glove last year.  A lot of these awards mean nothing, absolutely nothing.

Hughes was on the 1st D-Team because of the # of steals he gets...thats it. Bowen and guys like him are real defenders. Steals are overrate. Grant it, Hughes can play the passing lanes well bt he gives too much to the ballhandler allowing the handler to go baseline, thus, causing a doubeteam by him and a big man, leaving another the opposing PF or C open in the paint OR vica versa when a doubl team of 2 guards come on the help Defense leaving another shooter open. Watch games 1 and 2 of the 1st round vs the Bulls. Kirk, Ben, Noc, Jannero, and the rest of the guards got penetration and kicked it out.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 04:04 PM)
He is a pretty good defender. He did not get it because of steals alone. If that was the case, Jamal Crawford would've made the All NBA Defensive Team the year before last. Hughes is a pretty good defender and that's why he got the award, not because he led the league in steals. Hell, I think Jim Jackson led the league in steals in 99 and didn't get on the All NBA Defensive Team. To say it was just his steals is ludicrous.

Once again I'll compare it to the gold glove Jeter won. Some of the guys voting don't know what the hell they're doing. A lot of these awards mean squat.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 06:14 PM)
I personally liked his chances better with Washington than Cleveland. Leaving Jamison and Arenas might end up being a bad move, we'll see though.

Arenas, Hughes, Jamison > LeBron, Hughes, Newble

Wizards :fight Hughes

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 04:14 PM)
I personally liked his chances better with Washington than Cleveland. Leaving Jamison and Arenas might end up being a bad move, we'll see though.

As far as the better team it depends. Arenas is known to be a ball hog and Jamison is known to be a guy who on some nights will drop 30 and other nights will drop 14 with a lot of shot attempts. Jamison is also kind of slow for a SF and Arenas can't play D at all.

Basically it gets down to Hughes & Lebron vs Arenas & Jamison. I'd take my chances with Hughes and LeBron since I'm pretty sure Hughes could shut down Arenas and LeBron would do more than Jamison. Also, keep in mind Cleveland still has money to play with to get another near max guy. They're looking at Dalembert, Curry, Chandler, Kwame, Swift and a couple of other guys.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 11:45 PM)
Cleveland is still trying to resign Iglauskis so If they get that done they wont have much more money left over.  And they have to have some money to be able to resign Lebron to a Shaq like deal.

They still have the MLE. I hear they're going after Antonio Daniels with it.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 04:17 PM)
Also, nitetrain just said that Sleepy has given him "hope" for all basketball fans on this board. :lol:

That may very well be the most hilarious thing that I have ever read on here.

Notice how everyone else found that funny as well... :unsure:

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 02:51 PM)
:o

I'm pretty sure that Arenas would tear him a new asshole like 365 days a year, 24 hours a day. 

Stick with weed, dude.  There's no need to be experimenting with them hardcore drugs. :D

:lolhitting I gotta agree. Arenas is too sick with the ball. Crossover, baseline, OVER.