GAME THREAD 7-8-2005 SOX vs A's

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are all being a tad bit over dramatic about Willie... yes he has had a terrible offensive game today...

However think about it... how much offense are we really expecting from either Timo or Willie. If we are depending on either of them to hit much of anything we are in trouble. So doesn't it make more sense to get the one that has better defense, can actually play the IF, and actually gives us a decent pinch runner in late game situations. Timo brings NOTHING to the plate. At least Willie brings speed and defense even if his offense is suspect at times..

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 01:42 AM)
The A's hitters are fouling off pitches, not swinging at pitcher's pitches, being very patient. I am impressed

They do that nearly every game we face them. Good job by Garland getting out of that inning allowing only one run. Still have a solid chance in this game.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 08:43 PM)
I think you are all being a tad bit over dramatic about Willie... yes he has had a terrible offensive game today...

However think about it... how much offense are we really expecting from either Timo or Willie. If we are depending on either of them to hit much of anything we are in trouble. So doesn't it make more sense to get the one that has better defense, can actually play the IF, and actually gives us a decent pinch runner in late game situations. Timo brings NOTHING to the plate. At least Willie brings speed and defense even if his offense is suspect at times..

We're asking Willie to hit a ground ball to the right side of the infield. That's it.

Edited by Frankensteiner

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 01:43 AM)

Willie has no power, that we know. However, if he can't contribute in the situations he had the first two times up tonight, he shouldn't be playing in the majors. Harris hasn't improved a lick this season, and his batting average is plummeting right now. If he's going to be such a liability at the plate, then we should let Ozuna play 2nd base when we want to bench Iguchi.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 06:44 PM)
We're asking Willie to hit a ground ball to the left side of the infield. That's it.

Willie has come up with a man on 2nd and nobody out twice this game. He has failed to get the guy to 3rd both times. Everett flied out both times. Both would have been Sac flies if Willie could get a bunt down or hit the ball on the ground.

Willie came up a 3rd time with 2 outs and a guy on 2nd and still couldn't do anything.

That's 3 times with a guy on 2nd, and no results. That is intolerable. We should at least have gotten 1 of those 3. All it took 2 of those times was a productive out.

Simply put, this is just not a good lineup tonight. No speed besides the first two hitters, and absolutely no one in the lineup who will work the pitcher besides the first two hitters. It's a bad idea to have the slumping PK and AJP batting back-to-back.

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 01:48 AM)
JG isn't going to get his 14th win tonite  :crying

Just like in regards to who makes the All-Star Game, I could careless who gets the win. All that matters is the final result, honestly. Garland doesn't deserve to win this game, so it won't bother me that he won't get the win.