Francona Not Sure How/When To Use Pods

SoxFan1

Via the Cubune:

Francona unsure when, how he'll use Podsednik

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune staff reporter

July 7, 2005, 11:37 PM CDT

Speed is Scott Podsednik's forte, but it's not axiomatic that the White Sox left fielder will be used in a specific situation in Tuesday's All-Star Game at Detroit after being voted in as the American League's 32nd player.

"I hope Scott Podsednik helps us win this game," AL and Red Sox manager Terry Francona said Thursday during a conference call. "But when you come down to those last five names, it's such a difficult choice."

Francona and National League manager Tony La Russa of St. Louis expressed surprise Podsednik received enough support from fans and teammates to overtake six-time AL All-Star Derek Jeter and Yankees teammate Hideki Matsui, who won in last year's voting for the 32nd player.

"I'm sure Scott appreciated that," La Russa said. "It shows the fans are paying attention. He's part of the reason the Sox are in first place."

Said Francona: "It seems like Chicago fans got behind it."

But Tampa Bay center fielder Carl Crawford, who finished fifth on the five-player AL ballot, questioned the Sox's methods that included their players' votes.

"I don't know how that's going to go over with the players, campaigning like that," Crawford told the St. Petersburg Times late Wednesday. "It's a little bush league, probably."

Podsednik and Crawford are represented by the same agents.

Second-half push

Jose Contreras has vowed to help the Sox's pitching staff more in the second half after going 4-5 with a 4.26 ERA in the first half.

"I feel I hurt the team in the first half, but I feel I can contribute in the second half," he said. History sides with Contreras.

He has a 4.52 ERA for the second half during his career, compared with a 5.36 ERA in the first half. Last year Contreras barely lowered his ERA from 5.64 in the first half with the Yankees to 5.40 in the second half, mostly with the Sox.

A success curve

Rookie Bobby Jenks wowed the fans Wednesday with the 97-m.p.h. fastball he threw with relative ease, but Jenks was just as happy that he recorded the final two outs on curves.

"Early in my career I couldn't locate a curve," Jenks said. "But I got a ground ball in a big situation, with a guy at second and less than two outs."

Jenks had to change the grip on his curve and underwent surgery last July after suffering a stress reaction to his right pitching arm.

"Now that I'm healthy, I can throw any pitch at any time," he said.

QUOTE(ceffa2000 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
How hard is it to figure out?  Seems like one of the easier decisions during the course of the game . . .

"Hmmmmm, let's see. I can bring him in to play LF in the 6th inning or so. Let's see, he is also a lead-off hitter so where can I put him in the line-up???"

Francona

:stupid

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 10:42 AM)
"Hmmmmm, let's see. I can bring him in to play LF in the 6th inning or so. Let's see, he is also a lead-off hitter so where can I put him in the line-up???"

Francona

:stupid

IMO, the main reasons he was selected to the All-Star team is his ability to get on base and cause havoc once on. He is the best base stealer on the A.L. team so pinch running seems the most obvious choice. Maybe for Paulie in a late inning leadoff single.

Francona doesn't know how to use Podsednik?

Ok...Jesus Christ...this absolutely f***ing blows my mind. I mean...I could understand just about any other manager in the big leagues saying this. Any one of them except Ozzie.

But Jesus Christ...Francona said this? This absolutely is beyond me.

Why in particular am I so pissed about Francona saying this?

3 words.

DAVE f***ING ROBERTS

Hmmm...can anyone else remember a point last year when having a fast guy on the bench worked to Francona's advantage? A particular stolen base for example?

Jesus H. Christ.

roberts_david_250.jpg

QUOTE(ceffa2000 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 11:02 AM)
IMO, the main reasons he was selected to the All-Star team is his ability to get on base and cause havoc once on.  He is the best base stealer on the A.L. team so pinch running seems the most obvious choice.  Maybe for Paulie in a late inning leadoff single.

He wasn't selected and if Sox fans didn't vote... he wouldn't be there.

At first glance I would say that he's not tipping his hand. But that's totally ridiculous. Pods ability to advance as a runner is obvious to every single fan in attendance. In fact, Sox should start a new commercial telling the Detroit crowd to chant "Go! Go! Go!"

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 11:02 AM)
He'll pinch run him.  Of course.

Which is exactly how he should have responded to the question.

"How do you think you'll use Podsednik"

"Well, it depends on the situation of course...but if I need speed on the basepaths late in the game he'll be nice to have"

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 12:47 PM)
Francona doesn't know how to use Podsednik?

Ok...Jesus Christ...this absolutely f***ing blows my mind.  I mean...I could understand just about any other manager in the big leagues saying this.  Any one of them except Ozzie.

But Jesus Christ...Francona said this?  This absolutely is beyond me.

Why in particular am I so pissed about Francona saying this?

3 words.

DAVE f***ING ROBERTS

Hmmm...can anyone else remember a point last year when having a fast guy on the bench worked to Francona's advantage?  A particular stolen base for example?

Jesus H. Christ.

roberts_david_250.jpg

I think the Dave Roberts steal that started the Red Sox rally was all Roberts' idea.

Hint to Francona: Pinch run with Scotty in the bottom of the ninth in a tie game.

Let Scotty steal second, then jog home on the game winning basehit.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
He wasn't selected and if Sox fans didn't vote... he wouldn't be there.

True, but every other player, minus the pitchers, was selected by the fans as well. I was just using a popular phrase, being mindful of his selection by the fans.

Out of curiosity, who determines the Final Vote canidates? I know the AL was for fielders and the NL was for pitchers so I was confused as to the process.

QUOTE(ceffa2000 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
True, but every other player, minus the pitchers, was selected by the fans as well.  I was just using a popular phrase, being mindful of his selection by the fans.

Out of curiosity, who determines the Final Vote canidates?  I know the AL was for fielders and the NL was for pitchers so I was confused as to the process.

The Starters are chosen by the fans. The reserves are voted in by the Players and managers. The manager picks 1 positon player and 4 pitchers to be in the game. Usually from teams that don't have a rep.