7/8 Games

danman31

Knights lost 8-3. Daigle 3-4 with a HR. Anderson 2-4 with a double. Box Score

Birmingham won 6-4. Owens 3-3, 2 walks, 2 runs, and a SB. AGon, Rogo, Lopez (HR) and Sweeney each with 2 hits. Tracey with the win: 7 IP, 3 R. Javier Ortiz to the Barons to help out their pen. Box Score

Warthogs with a doubleheader. They lost both games. Game 1: 6-3. Valido 2-4. Broadway with a solid start. Box Score

Game 2: 5-2. Wing got the loss, giving up all 5 runs in the 4th inning. Good relief from Flores. Box Score

Kanny won 6-4. De Los Santos 2-2. Box Score

Great Falls won 5-4. Hernandez with a HR. Everly with a good start. Lemon ERA watch: 2.35 (any comment Cheat? :P ) Box Score

Bristol won 2-0. 2 doubles, run for Sanchez. 2 hits, double, run for Carter. Viola with a good start. Box Score

Barons 6 Mobile 4

W- Tracey L- Thompson Sv-Meaux

Tracey was good tonight he got better as the game went on and before you knew it he was through 7. Control was a little shaky but with some help by the defense most of all Ryan Sweeney and his underated arm with runners at the corners 0 out Steve Baker hit a flyball around 300- 310 Sweeney grabbed it threw a one hop bullet to Stewart and the runner was out. The offense came to life in the following inning with a great AB by Pedro Lopez who singled followed by a Jerry Owens walk (3-3 on base all 5 times) then a beautiful Gonzo bunt that turned into a base knock Rogowski drew a 2-0 count and unloaded on the next pitch drilling a pitch high off the wall in center to clear the bases. The Barons put the game away with a 2 run 7th a leadoff Pedro Homer followed by Jerry Owens single and stolen base Gonzo followed that up with a double to right.

Getz's obp down to .654 :( :P

EDIT: Scrath that, that was from yesterday but you get the picture, he's been good so far. I know everyone is saying he'll probably move through the ranks pretty quickly and I'd have to agree.

Edited by Rowand44

Guest JimH

We have got to stop having all this good news about the prospects, it will ruin quickman's day for sure.

Jerry Owens looks like he's capable of being a 4th/5th OF guy. Speed and on base ability, love it.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 05:07 PM)
We have got to stop having all this good news about the prospects, it will ruin quickman's day for sure.

Jerry Owens looks like he's capable of being a 4th/5th OF guy.  Speed and on base ability, love it.

I was actually hoping he would be our future leadoff man... a Podsenick in grooming.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 05:09 PM)
I was actually hoping he would be our future leadoff man... a Podsenick in grooming.

22 SBs, 11 CSs.

Better lower that second number, or he isn't going to be all that effective on the basepaths...

(Edited out my damn grammar mistakes)

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 10:49 AM)
22 SBs, 11 CSs.

Better improve that lower that second number, or he isn't going to be all that effective on the basepaths...

Valido is probably the best base stealer in the organization. Isn't as fast as Owens but he's just a very very intelligent player.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 12:09 PM)

From everything I've heard, he is nowhere near close to that good as a hitter, little as a stolen base threat. He is 24 after all.

Edited by danman31

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 11:15 AM)
From everything I've heard, he is nowhere near close to that good as a hitter, little stolen base threat. He is 24 after all.

Remember he was injured, which pretty much set him back at least a year in terms of progression. He is a great athlete and is the fastest guy in the system, imo.

The big question is whether he's finally put things together with his swing. Thus far it sounds like he has.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
Remember he was injured, which pretty much set him back at least a year in terms of progression.  He is a great athlete and is the fastest guy in the system, imo. 

The big question is whether he's finally put things together with his swing.  Thus far it sounds like he has.

I understand he is 'raw' and skipped high A, but you yourself called him a 4th OFer. I guess what I'm asking is why is he not projected higher.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 01:15 PM)
From everything I've heard, he is nowhere near close to that good as a hitter, little as a stolen base threat. He is 24 after all.

Acutually I like his hitting style, I see a lot of Pods in him for a guy to hit .320 at this level first time while skipping high A is very impressive to me, Jerry has good plate vision as well. I think the steals will improve with more experence learning the pitcher and so on.