TRADE THREAD III ~July 9 - July 15

Texsox

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 09:21 AM)
Have You Seen Griffey play this season?

Griffey is having a very good year.

I am sure you have seen Rowand play this season.  What exactly has Rowand done this year to make him "Aaron Almighty" in your eyes.

Yes I have. And I have seen him play the first half of 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004. All of those years had the same ending. Griffey on the DL with a major injury and the Reds being the worst team in a 6 team division. I never said Aaron was almighty, in fact I mentioned his name once.

Like I said, KGJ of the past would be no contest, just as Aaron being the better of the two now is no contest.

Besides, if Junior ever came to the AL again he would be the DH in a heartbeat, it is ridiculous to even consider Junior starting centerfield for any AL team, no matter how desperate.

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 03:28 PM)
I think your ideas leave the bullpen a little weak in the long reliever area.  But that is certainly trading the farm to try and make a run, I will give you that.  However, we wont make that many moves.

EL Duque would be the long reliever and a course I think he would be restriced from pitching back to back days.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 10:27 AM)
For those of you all saying Griffey cant play defense this year, have you guys actually watched him at all more than once or twice if at all?  His defense is still good and he also still makes those diving catches.... Rowand might be a little bit better but its not a real drop off.

Ok but anyways since getting Griffey is a pipe dream anyways ill continue the dream and tell you what we do.

Griffey with his contract wont cost 2 much so give up an average prospect or whatevr it takes.  Than trade Konerko and B-Mac9or who ever) to Arizona for Javier Vazquez.

Wow, Griffey makes diving catches, so did Magglio, was he good, nope. JR is not a good defender anymore, get over it. His contract would cost alot, and the reds would want more than an Average prospect for their starting Cf'er. Second, do you really think all it would take for a team to give up its Ace would be BMAC OR Konerko? I would certainly hope that if someone wanted OUR Ace, that we would hold out for more than that. Dont forget that fair trades are on. Az would want no less than most of our top prospects.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
EL Duque would be the long reliever and a course I think he would be restriced from pitching back to back days.

Yes, but we are giving up three or more relievers and only getting Eddie, and possibly El Duque, which I am against since he is our best playoff starter. Then you fill in Jenks, who hasnt proven s*** at the major league level yet. Our bullpen gets weaker.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 03:32 PM)
Wow, Griffey makes diving catches, so did Magglio, was he good, nope.  JR is not a good defender anymore, get over it.  His contract would cost alot, and the reds would want more than an Average prospect for their starting Cf'er.  Second, do you really think all it would take for a team to give up its Ace would be BMAC OR Konerko?  I would certainly hope that if someone wanted OUR Ace, that we would hold out for more than that.  Dont forget that fair trades are on.  Az would want no less than most of our top prospects.

Vazquez isnt an ace and the rumors b4 was we trade Garland and Konerko and get Vazquez... back when the diamondbacks still had RJ b4 trading him.... B-Mac is what Garland was then but younger.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 10:27 AM)
For those of you all saying Griffey cant play defense this year, have you guys actually watched him at all more than once or twice if at all? 

This question always cracks me up. "You havent seen him, I have and you are wrong"

We all see the same highlights on basically the same show(BBTN and various local outlets) and I dont see the same Junior whatsoever.

Also, why the need for another oft-injured outfielder/DH? There is none. Junior isnt a pipedream, he is a pipe-bomb.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 10:34 AM)
Vazquez isnt an ace and the rumors b4 was we trade Garland and Konerko and get Vazquez... back when the diamondbacks still had RJ b4 trading him.... B-Mac is what Garland was then but younger.

BMAC is 21 with little to no major league experience, Jon had already been in the show for many years and was a proven .500 starter. And yes, Vaz is THEIR ace.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 10:34 AM)
B-Mac is what Garland was then but younger.

So you are ready to wait another 5 years until BMac gets it figured out? thats laughable, BMac needs some time to develop.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 09:21 AM)
Have You Seen Griffey play this season?

Griffey is having a very good year.

I am sure you have seen Rowand play this season.  What exactly has Rowand done this year to make him "Aaron Almighty" in your eyes.

Visquel isn't any better than what we got. Schmidt hasn't proven that he's got his form back. I'd say if we are going to get someone old get Kenny Rogers at least he's proven he can pitch this year of course there would be contingency in his contract about how he should be kinder and gentler with cameramen. And while you're at it get Bagwell Frank and Bagwell both have almost the same amount of homers and could celebrate their birthday together. Remember KW in an interview money wouldn't be a problem. Get If we made the trade quickly we could have 3 starting pitchers in the all star game. :bang

QUOTE(forrestg @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 10:41 AM)
Visquel isn't any better than what we got.  Schmidt  hasn't proven that he's got his form back. I'd say if we are going to get someone old get Kenny Rogers at least he's proven he can pitch this year of course there would be contingency in his contract about how he should be kinder and gentler with cameramen.  And while you're at it get Bagwell  Frank and Bagwell both have almost the same amount of homers and could celebrate their birthday together.  Remember KW in an interview money wouldn't be a problem.  Get If we made the trade quickly we could have 3 starting  pitchers in the all star game. :bang

green maybe? hopefully?

QUOTE(forrestg @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 10:54 AM)
sure have but right now Rogers is at the top of his game

So do you want him knowing that he will have to serve a 20 game suspension? Dont you think he might be needed for those 3 or 4 starts he will miss due to this suspension? Wouldnt that put the Sox in a bind?

Come on, think through this. Rogers is not the answer to any question you ask.

Who could help the Sox in the Second Half?

Who could help the Sox down the stretch?

Who could help the Sox in the ALDS?

Who could help the Sox in the ALCS?

Who could help the Sox in the World Series?

He isnt a money player.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 11:03 AM)
So do you want him knowing that he will have to serve a 20 game suspension? Dont you think he might be needed for those 3 or 4 starts he will miss due to this suspension?  Wouldnt that put the Sox in a bind?

Come on, think through this. Rogers is not the answer to any question you ask.

Who could help the Sox in the Second Half?

Who could help the Sox down the stretch?

Who could help the Sox in the ALDS?

Who could help the Sox in the ALCS?

Who could help the Sox in the World Series?

He isnt a money player.

The answer to all of your questions is: El Duque would be better.

Anyone knocking Rowands defense doesn't watch enough baseball games. He's one of the 5 best defensive outfielders (Only ones I'd even think of putting ahead of him are Jones, Hunter, Edmonds, and possibly Mark Kotsay).

Knock Rowand's lack of extra basehits thus far this year, but don't tell me the guy can't play defense. He gets good to great jumps, has a strong arm, and catches pretty much everything hit to him.

This is very interesting it appears that many on this board think we can win this thing with the team we have. very interesting, I personally do not think we can. What happens when we lose 3 out of four to the indians, are all the same people going tostart clamoring for a trade? I have seen many Sox teams over decades, outside of 83 and 93 this is the best team I have seen from the sox. As proven in the past, teams like this do not come along very often, to sustain, our luck, our pitching our timely hitting and the mediorcre play of the Twins lately I believe we need to think bigger than the try hard happy go lucky guys we have. Talent will always eventually win over scrappiness. Get better talent, and yes for THIS year visquel would be great, he is proven, batting well, and fielding is equal to Uribe, not to mention he would be a good leader. Furthermore what makes everyone think El Duque is coming back and will not get injured again, or that Crede won't hurt his back, or that injury prone guys like Everett, or dye won't get injured again, or that teams won't figure out iguchi, from all they learned in the first half, or that Thomas won't stub his toe or twist his ankle. We need more. Don't think for a minute Minnesota or the Tribe will stand pat.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 08:22 AM)
This is very interesting it appears that many on this board think we can win this thing with the team we have. very interesting, I personally do not think we can. What happens when we lose 3 out of four to the indians, are all the same people going tostart clamoring for a trade? I have seen many Sox teams over decades, outside of 83 and 93 this is the best team I have seen from the sox. As proven in the past, teams like this do not come along very often, to sustain, our luck, our pitching our timely hitting and the mediorcre play of the Twins lately I believe we need to think bigger than the try hard happy go lucky guys we have. Talent will always eventually win over scrappiness. Get better talent, and yes for THIS year visquel would be great, he is proven, batting well, and fielding is equal to Uribe, not to mention he would be a good leader. Furthermore what makes everyone think El Duque is coming back and will not get injured again, or that Crede won't hurt his back, or that injury prone guys like Everett, or dye won't get injured again, or that teams won't figure out iguchi, from all they learned in the first half, or that Thomas won't stub his toe or twist his ankle. We need more. Don't think for a minute Minnesota or the Tribe will stand pat.

I totally agree with you quick.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 11:22 AM)

I dont feel that the Sox can win without making a move. I just think that Kenny Rogers would be the wrong move to make.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 04:25 PM)
I dont feel that the Sox can win without making a move. I just think that Kenny Rogers would be the wrong move to make.

Kenny Rogers is a pretty good option. Last year he had a great 1st half and than sunk in the 2nd half. This year he has had an amazing first half. Thats where the 20 day suspension comes in. I think It could actually be better because it gives his arm a chance to relax so he wont falter down the stretch.

Also with him being old it wont cost much in terms of prospects.