TRADE THREAD III ~July 9 - July 15

Texsox

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 07:55 PM)
I dont want the white sox to be involved in any deals with Billy Bean.  The only good thing that we got was Cotts.  I dont want to get another damaged worn out player like Koch.

Adkins for Durham was bad. Olivo for Bradford was good. And as much as the Koch trade sucked for 2 years it's definitely worked out this year and in the long term. Cotts so far this year has been much better then Foulke.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 01:59 AM)
Adkins for Durham was bad.  Olivo for Bradford was good.  And as much as the Koch trade sucked for 2 years it's definitely worked out this year and in the long term.  Cotts so far this year has been much better then Foulke.

Adkins for Durham bad? How so?

Olivo for Bradford was good in one way, but if you look at player for player, very bad. THe only thing good about Olivo is that he helped us get Freddy. Olivo is not even close to as good as Bradford has been.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 11:56 PM)
Beware of NL strike out pitchers:  Brown, Johnson, Vazquez, Pavano .. the list  goes on & on.  The AL is 13-4-1 vs the NL all-stars over the last 18 yrs!  NL hitters suck.

Vazquez (only had one great year with Ks) and Pavano (139Ks in 222.3 IP?) were NL K pitchers? I never knew.

Randy Johnson? Is that the Johnson you are referring to? He was damn good with the Mariners if I recall correctly.

Kevin Brown was pretty good as well with Texas and Baltimore if I recall correctly.

I think those 2 guys just got old. I need a bigger list to know where you are coming from here as this list is not a very good one.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 02:54 AM)

I just heard this on ESPN News. Witasick and Kennedy for Byrnes and Quintanilla??? How does Beane get that done? We couldn't give up something like that to get Kennedy and Witasick? s***, I would have loved to have Witasick on this team and Kennedy would be a damn good long reliever. That would definitely bolster our bullpen. Great job by Beane, I can't stand that pompus f***head.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 08:48 PM)
Adkins for Durham bad? How so?

Olivo for Bradford was good in one way, but if you look at player for player, very bad. THe only thing good about Olivo is that he helped us get Freddy. Olivo is not even close to as good as Bradford has been.

What do you mean how so?? We could have got more for Durham then just Adkins. As far as Olivo he did help us get Freddy and it's not like Miguel was horrible when he was here.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 09:23 PM)
Unless you count calling a game :D

Well that was the knock on him. The guy had and has a ton of potential and that's why that Bradford trade was a steal because he was one of the big reasons we got Freddy.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 04:56 PM)
Beware of NL strike out pitchers:  Brown, Johnson, Vazquez, Pavano .. the list  goes on & on.  The AL is 13-4-1 vs the NL all-stars over the last 18 yrs!  NL hitters suck.

Clement seems to have done pretty well, and Johnson isn't throwing as hard as he did last year, and his slider is flatter. As for Pavano and Vasquez, i believe the pressure of NYC got to em. Burnett looks like an absolute stud, i have watched his last few outings and he looks unhittable. If K-Dub has a chance to get him........DO IT!!!

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 08:43 PM)
I'M BORED!  MAKE A TRADE NOW, KW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's true, the waiting really is the hardest part.  I just know he's gonna make a trade while I'm 1,000 miles away this weekend, when I've been waiting forever for one to happen.

I agree. GET IT DONE KW!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 08:36 PM)
Clement seems to have done pretty well, and Johnson isn't throwing as hard as he did last year, and his slider is flatter. As for Pavano and Vasquez, i believe the pressure of NYC got to em. Burnett looks like an absolute stud, i have watched his last few outings and he looks unhittable. If K-Dub has a chance to get him........DO IT!!!

There was no reason at all for any sane person to believe that Carl Pavano would be able to do this year what he did last year. Just like AJ Burnett, he is a career .500 pitcher with decent stuff against NL hitters. But just like most NL pitchers, when you move them from the NL to the AL, you expect their numbers to get worse. And on top of that, the only year where he put up good numbers for a full year was his contract year.

Vasquez...well I still can't figure that one out...that guy faced us a couple of times early last year and absolutely ate us alive.

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 09:15 PM)
I agree. GET IT DONE KW!!!!!!!!

We're getting at least 3 guys back basically this week. I'd like to see how well they perform before we go about replacing them...especially El Duque. We've got to see what he can do for a couple weeks before we rush a trade.

The architect of this daring rebuilding project should be the AL Executive of the Year if the Sox win the division. But he faces a serious juggling act in trying to fortify the 25-man roster for the stretch drive.

Landing a marquee starting pitcher like San Francisco's Jason Schmidt or Florida's A.J. Burnett will cost a fortune. Scouts say the Sox remain hesitant to trade 22-year-old pitcher Brandon McCarthy, who has been inconsistent in two brief stints but remains their best pitching prospect.

Acquiring a pitcher like Ted Lilly would cost considerably less, although Lilly doesn't have the track record of Schmidt, whose fastball was clocked at 95 m.p.h. in his Friday start against St. Louis.

Some concerns about the depth of the rotation could be alleviated if Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez returns to his April form.

Hernandez has been on the disabled list twice, but the Sox will need his big-game experience during a murderous stretch in August and in September, when 13 of their final 17 games are against Cleveland and Minnesota.

Williams' track record suggests he will make a move. But he might have to wait until the July 31 trading deadline or hope his current pitching staff remains at the top of the AL with no shortcomings.

Ozzie Guillen

He has security through 2008. He has done a masterful job of keeping Carl Everett sharp since the return of fellow DH Frank Thomas, and he has ridden the hot hand in the bullpen.

Guillen also has let the starting pitchers work deep into games without taxing them, and the players have taken well to the emphasis on speed and moving runners.

"I'm not afraid [of a letdown]," Guillen said. "I'll be the first one to say, 'Blame it on Ozzie Guillen. Blame it on me.' This is my job.

"We have to continue to play the way we've played all year. If we do that and stay healthy, I'll take my chances."

Guillen might have less maneuverability with his starting position players, especially if infielder Willie Harris is optioned to Triple-A Charlotte when Ross Gload returns.

That would fulfill Tadahito Iguchi's wish to play more. It also would make the Sox consistently stronger at the top of the batting order.

A Miami area newspaper said that the white sox were the team most aggresively pursuing a.j. burnett. they also said that a marlins scout was in town for the a's sox series. i hope they get him. what a potent rotation:

Buehrle

Garcia

Burnett

Garland

El Duque/ Contreras

QUOTE(palesox38 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 01:02 AM)
A Miami area newspaper said that the white sox were the team most aggresively pursuing a.j. burnett. they also said that a marlins scout was in town for the a's sox series. i hope they get him. what a potent rotation:

Buehrle

Garcia

Burnett

Garland

El Duque/ Contreras

man, we talked about this s*** all day

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 03:20 AM)
What do you mean how so??  We could have got more for Durham then just  Adkins.  As far as Olivo he did help us get Freddy and it's not like Miguel was horrible when he was here.

I think we here in Chicago over rated Ray Durham. Don't get me wrong I loved the guy while he was here, but was he really that good? He was a very streaky hitter that took our offense down with him when he went bad. He was great when he was on, but awful when he was off. He was great at going back on pop ups but besides that his defense was poor at best. What more did you want to get for this guy? He has done absolutely nothing since and was a bust for the As after the trade. Adkins can still turn into something, even if not, it is a wash at the worst. So would you like to tell me how so?

Olivo helped us do what exactly? Bradford helped the As bullpen out a ton. MIguel was pretty damn bad when he was here. Besides helping us get Freddy, which I stated in my last post, what exactly did he do? He was horrible and hurt our pitching staff. He was such a liability that we had to keep on resigning the senior citizen Sandy Alomar Jr every single year he was here.

IMO your wrong on both accounts.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 04:52 AM)
The architect of this daring rebuilding project should be the AL Executive of the Year if the Sox win the division. But he faces a serious juggling act in trying to fortify the 25-man roster for the stretch drive.

Landing a marquee starting pitcher like San Francisco's Jason Schmidt or Florida's A.J. Burnett will cost a fortune. Scouts say the Sox remain hesitant to trade 22-year-old pitcher Brandon McCarthy, who has been inconsistent in two brief stints but remains their best pitching prospect.

Acquiring a pitcher like Ted Lilly would cost considerably less, although Lilly doesn't have the track record of Schmidt, whose fastball was clocked at 95 m.p.h. in his Friday start against St. Louis.

Some concerns about the depth of the rotation could be alleviated if Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez returns to his April form.

Hernandez has been on the disabled list twice, but the Sox will need his big-game experience during a murderous stretch in August and in September, when 13 of their final 17 games are against Cleveland and Minnesota.

Williams' track record suggests he will make a move. But he might have to wait until the July 31 trading deadline or hope his current pitching staff remains at the top of the AL with no shortcomings.

There is no way we get Ted Lilly, the guy has a screw loose and could really hurt the team chemistry.