TRADE THREAD III ~July 9 - July 15

Texsox

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 08:49 AM)
Burnett's availability will continue tantalizing contenders who can afford the asking price. Among the teams with high-level scouts at Thursday's game: the Red Sox (special assistant to the General Manager Bill Lajoie), Rangers (Director of Player Personnel Dom Chiti), and Twins (assistant GM Wayne Krivsky).

Now that bothers me alot. If there is any team out there that could probably trump us all with prospects, its the Twins.

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 11:00 AM)
For fans of a team with Buehrle as its ace and also in the same town as Kerry Wood I'm dumbfounded by this love affair with Burnett around here. Flat out, the guy doesn't win no matter what his "stuff" is and one would think that Buehrle fans would recognize that.

Burnett's 3 Hr's allowed last night looked eerily reminiscent of another ex-Sox acquisition--Billy Koch. Straight fastballs down the middle, and then over the fence.

Granted that is some of my only looks at Burnett. Yet however fast he threw, that FB looked very hittable

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)
Now that bothers me alot. If there is any team out there that could probably trump us all with prospects, its the Twins.

Except the Twins hardly ever do deals that either 1] take on money or 2] give up top prospects

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 08:58 AM)
Except the Twins hardly ever do deals that either 1] take on money or 2] give up top prospects

The Twins havent been this far back in a long time. Desperate times call for desperate measures (cough Bret Boone cough)

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 07:47 AM)
If there's one player I'm sure wasn't on the roids, it's Mike Lowell.  With his cancer history, I highly doubt he'd be willing to jeopardize his health by taking steroids.

Then again the cause and effect could be backwards too. Roids don't exactly do too much for your immunity system. Plus when you factor in that you are basically taking testostarone, and many of the hormone replacement theropies have been shown to cause cancer, I could see it.

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 11:00 AM)
The A's will end up winning the WC and it's the run that they're on now(that'll last past the deadline) that'll get them there. Beane has no reason to sell off Zito right now and as we're seeing his actually going into buying mode instead.

The A's could easily lose 6,7 straight and they'd be in a deep hole for the wild card. Their next 10 or so games are vs TEx and LAA, which should decide if they are sellers or not.

As far as winning the WC, they'll have a tough time beating out Minn, Texas and either Bos. or NY. Next year they'll be really tough, though.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 07:57 AM)

I'd rather the Twins make the playoffs than the A's.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 02:01 PM)
The Twins havent been this far back in a long time. Desperate times call for desperate measures (cough Bret Boone cough)

good point. The Boone move was pretty desperate. but him being a FA next yr, and not costing them much talent [maybe some money, I don't even know the specifics of the deal but wasn't that big] was a small move.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 09:07 AM)
good point. The Boone move was pretty desperate. but him being a FA next yr, and not costing them much talent [maybe some money, I don't even know the specifics of the deal but wasn't that big] was a small move.

I didnt think the cost of Boone was the desperate part. I thought the acquisition of boone was the desperation. The Twins are hurting in the infield so bad that they brought in a former all-star who has fallen very far from stardom, hoping that he can regain the spark. That was a White Sox move circa 1997-2003. The Twins usually make a cost concientious move for a up and coming player, and part with some talent(ie Joe Nathan, Shannon Stewart).

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 08:57 AM)

That doesn't worry me. I would be more worried if they were about to pick up a big time bat. Their pitching has been lights out all year, it's their hitting that has sucked.

Oh wait, they have Bret Boone. We're f***ed!

From USA today's bob nightengale:

"The Braves have expressed strong interest in Blue Jays starter Ted Lilly. ... "

With their track record [maybe not Danny Kolb], any player the Braves are interested in should pique the sox interest.

The Giants, once favored to win the NL West with owner Peter Magowan predicting a World Series appearance, now are on the verge of giving up. They are reluctant to make a trade before July 31 because of their weak division, but they still are 10 games out of first place with a 37-50 record.

"If we were closer to .500, I'd feel better," Giants GM Brian Sabean says. "But we know the people above us are really struggling and nobody can take control of this thing."

Still, despite the faint optimism, the Giants are listening to offers for ace Jason Schmidt and just about anyone else on the team. The Giants simply don't believe that Schmidt is the same pitcher, with his velocity dropping about 4 mph this year, and they don't want to pick up his $10.5 million option. The White Sox and Nationals have shown the most interest. The Giants deployed scouts this past week to get the latest on the White Sox farm system.

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 08:16 AM)
Still, despite the faint optimism, the Giants are listening to offers for ace Jason Schmidt and just about anyone else on the team. The Giants simply don't believe that Schmidt is the same pitcher, with his velocity dropping about 4 mph this year, and they don't want to pick up his $10.5 million option. The White Sox and Nationals have shown the most interest. The Giants deployed scouts this past week to get the latest on the White Sox farm system.

That makes me believe that perhaps Schmidt won't be as expensive as I thought... if he only costs prospects, then I wouldn't mind a deal.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 09:23 AM)
That makes me believe that perhaps Schmidt won't be as expensive as I thought... if he only costs prospects, then I wouldn't mind a deal.

Getting him for prospects would be amazing. I would be stunned with happiness. Maybe they'd also give us Vizquel if we throw in more prospects and something like a reliever?

• The Blue Jays, who thought they might be in the dumping mode, can't give up yet. They are 44-44 and 5½ games out of first place in the AL East. They are listening to offers for starter Ted Lilly and closer Miguel Batista, as well as center fielder Vernon Wells and second baseman Orlando Hudson. But they say Hillenbrand is not yet available.

-------------------------------------------

If they are listening to offers for Lilly, then the GM's like Riccardi and Beane are being a little deceptive -Imagine that

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 08:29 AM)
Here's the link to Nightengale's article. A lot of tidbits to sort through that could affect the sox

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/columni...14-majors_x.htm

From that article:

The Reds are trying to act coy, but instead they're coming across as a mass act of confusion. They eventually will shop outfielders Austin Kearns and Adam Dunn, first baseman Sean Casey, third baseman Joe Randa and starter Eric Milton.

I think Sean Casey would make a huge impact on this team.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 08:38 AM)
I'd love that, I really would.  The thing is, we're not getting rid of Konerko this year.  We can dream, though.

not me.... casey is nothing more than a fat, slow, bad defensive firstbaseman. yeah he hits for a nice average, but hes a singles hitter with limited power and 0 speed. If you are gonna be a singles hitter, you best be able to run. add in the fact that he makes 8 million and ill say no thank you. id rather have gload hit .265 with 15 homers over a full year for $300,000 than casey hit .305 with 15 homers for 8 million

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 09:55 AM)
not me.... casey is nothing more than a fat, slow, bad defensive firstbaseman. yeah he hits for a nice average, but hes a singles hitter with limited power and 0 speed. If you are gonna be a singles hitter, you best be able to run. add in the fact that he makes 8 million and ill say no thank you. id rather have gload hit .265 with 15 homers over a full year for $300,000 than casey hit .305 with 15 homers for 8 million

Wow, I didn't realize he made that much. I thought it was a lot lower than that. Forget that then.