TRADE THREAD III ~July 9 - July 15

Texsox

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 08:11 AM)
I tend to agree but here's the good news.  The Sox are looking, and they're being aggressive about it. 

If we are looking at a rental, I tend to prefer a crafty veteran with postseason experience.  Pretty sure Glavine has a full no trade anyways, plus he and Reinsdorf might not be on the best of terms, just me speculating.

I wish Glavine was putting things together after a poor start, but he's pitched consistently medicore to bad the entire year in the NL. Still, I could see some logic to this move simply because he's a very heady veteran pitcher that could add a lot to this club. I also assume this would kind of be a Plan D option and would have a much smaller price tag (in terms of what to give up). It kind of depends on what the Sox do.

If they make a hard push at Wagner or Guardado (who will cost a little something prospect wise), Kenny may opt for a vet like Moyer or Glavine who may not cost as much prospect wise (especially Glavine).

One question...is Shea considered a pitchers park or a hitters park because Glavine pitches at least dedent there (4.22 ERA) while he's horrendous on the road.

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 08:21 AM)
I'll be pissed if we trade carl everett in that burnett deal. i will also be pissed if we trade for glavine. he stinks

In a sense it would open up a spot for Ross Gload and I think to an extent Gload can do similar things to Carl Everett. Of course thats a rather large risk because I tend to think Carl is one of those guys that keeps the team loose (but I could be wrong).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 10:46 AM)
I wish Glavine was putting things together after a poor start, but he's pitched consistently medicore to bad the entire year in the NL.  Still, I could see some logic to this move simply because he's a very heady veteran pitcher that could add a lot to this club.  I also assume this would kind of be a Plan D option and would have a much smaller price tag (in terms of what to give up).  It kind of depends on what the Sox do.

If they make a hard push at Wagner or Guardado (who will cost a little something prospect wise), Kenny may opt for a vet like Moyer or Glavine who may not cost as much prospect wise (especially Glavine). 

One question...is Shea considered a pitchers park or a hitters park because Glavine pitches at least dedent there (4.22 ERA) while he's horrendous on the road.

shea stadium is big pitchers park. not quite dodger stadium or petco, but as much of a pitchers park as safeco

Edited by daa84

Keep your eyes on Omar Vizquel, gang. Seriously. Now that the Sox are a virtual lock for the playoffs, Kenny may be able to convice JR and company to take on the bad contract in Vizquel. If Kenny was in love with him before the season, I find it hard to beleive he isn't at least sending out his feelers for him now. Omar could come in here and give this team a veteran kick in the pants. It would be awesome. I was calling for him before the season, and I'd love to see him in here now.

In fact, you may actually be able to get him for a relative steal if the Giants seem themselves as sellers and want to rid themsevles of the awful contract--something I think Saban had in mind when signing him to that nasty thing.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 08:50 AM)
Keep your eyes on Omar Vizquel, gang.  Seriously.  Now that the Sox are a virtual lock for the playoffs, Kenny may be able to convice JR and company to take on the bad contract in Vizquel.  If Kenny was in love with him before the season, I find it hard to beleive he isn't at least sending out his feelers for him now.  Omar could come in here and give this team a veteran kick in the pants.  It would be awesome.  I was calling for him before the season, and I'd love to see him in here now. 

In fact, you may actually be able to get him for a relative steal if the Giants seem themselves as sellers and want to rid themsevles of the awful contract--something I think Saban had in mind when signing him to that nasty thing.

Its not near as bad as a lot of contracts. Its basically the risk of giving up that extra year. Financially speaking its very fair, especially when you look at the type of money Christian Guzman and some other shortstops have gotten recently (Jimmy Rollins and Cabrera being others).

Still I think Omar makes so much sense. The question is will the Giants deal him cause I've read how they want to hold onto him for next year.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)
In a sense it would open up a spot for Ross Gload and I think to an extent Gload can do similar things to Carl Everett.  Of course thats a rather large risk because I tend to think Carl is one of those guys that keeps the team loose (but I could be wrong).

If Gload can do similar stuff for us as Everett why couldn't it do far more cheaping, younger and longer term for another team???

I think he may be the guy moved as he has to have something done with him by Monday as this is when his rehab stint ends.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)
Its not near as bad as a lot of contracts.  Its basically the risk of giving up that extra year.  Financially speaking its very fair, especially when you look at the type of money Christian Guzman and some other shortstops have gotten recently (Jimmy Rollins and Cabrera being others). 

Still I think Omar makes so much sense.  The question is will the Giants deal him cause I've read how they want to hold onto him for next year.

Yeah, I see the Giants holding onto him...although the right price will change their mind...but that might not be what we want...

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)
What in the hell would he want to go to St. Louis for?  They already have a great closer in Isringhausen.

Well, for one Izzy hasnt been able to stay healthy for the past 3 years. Looks like LaRussa is campaigning for it also. Seems close to tampering to me

edit: I always read stuff and forget where I read it. There was an article i read this morning inferring that Wagner was campaigning to go to the Cards, i just cant find it.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...39?OpenDocument

Edited by kyyle23

Scouting Tom Glavine could be a smokescreen too. Send out scouts to a good chunk of "available" players and you don't know which one they are truly scouting. I don't think Glavine is what this team needs or wants. Burnett or Lilly are close to what this team wants...a young good arm that is possibly resignable or locked up for another year or two.

We've also gotten off the Edgardo Alfonso bandwagon. From the Giants website:

Alfonzo, also put on the disabled list June 14 with Grissom, has a left quadriceps strain and is only running at about 60 to 70 percent, according to Conte, who added the third baseman won't participate in a rehab game for another two weeks.

"He can't run at full speed, although he's been taking ground balls and hitting," said Conte.

He isn't completely healthy, but the Giants have Feliz at 3rd. And Fonz can play 2nd, too.

I think you are all becoming victims of teams vying for the White Sox talent.

You need to take a step back & look at your team.

Marte comes off the DL & looks superb.

D Marte relieved C Politte. BOT 8th

LHB G Sizemore struck out swinging.

SHB C Crisp struck out looking.

LHB T Hafner struck out swinging. TOP 9th

Convince me again why we are trading Contreras for Burnett?

Batting #1 .269/.731 - not bad

Batting #2 .176/.616 - wow!

Batting #3 .271/.783 - not bad

Batting #4 .233/.842 - should we compare #4 in NL vs #4 in AL this year? Not a pretty picture for the NL.

Batting #5 .178/.628 - wow!

Batting #6 .154/.622 - wow!

Batting #7 .136/.493 - unbelievable!

Batting #8 .359/1.174 - aberration

Batting #9 .225/.506 - unbelievable!

You can look back to see how that compares with AJB. Contreras is pitching like everyone thought he would when the Yanks signed him. You would be a fool to trade him right now. The Yanks threw in cash to drop his cost to below $7M next year. That's a good deal.

If Marte's improved strength is for real this team doesn't need much in terms of pitching & defense. You can argue a solid closer only because Hermy has never had to close day in & day out like this.

The main weakness in this team is hitting vs RHP: .248/.707

Contrast that with our hitting vs LHP: .296/.830

Gload is sure to help once KW can convince OZ to bring him up.

Gload 04-05 vs LHers: .383/.994 vs RHers: .298/.803

Cincy has the cure to what ails us: vs RHers

S Casey 1B VS. L: .346/.840 VS. R: .291/.711 H: .309/.722 A: .317/.802 : Split time w Paulie in 2005 & if Ozzie likes him buh bye Paulie.

A Dunn LF/1B VS. L: .184/.765 VS. R: .267/1.018, H: .250/1.019 A: .226/.841 : Split time w Pods in 2005 & if Ozzie likes him buh bye Paulie.

K Griffey CF VS. L: .287/.891 VS. R: .287/.867 H: .311/.921 A: .261/.825 : There is no rule that says you have to play him in CF. He could play any OF position or DH for that matter. Griffey's versatility at the plate means Ozzie has a future HOFer bat he can play in no less than 4 positions everyday.

The contract is a dream for JR & company. A marquee player sure to draw at the gate for $6M/yr thru 2009. Then about $58M deferred after that.

He can still keep his home in Cinn. On a private carrier it's less than an hr's flight time from MDW to Cinn. He can copter from the Cell to MDW in less than 30 minutes. Copter home from Cinn airport in about the same time. 3 hours commute tops.

Joe Randa 3B VS. L: .290/.847 VS. R: .305/.882 H: .298/.892 A: .303/.851

Perfect pick up to split time with Crede.

Omar Vizquel SS VS. L: .255/.684 VS. R: .324/.795 H: .277/.699 A: .333/.832

Perfect pick up to split time with Uribe.

That's where KW should be spending his time dealing.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 04:50 PM)
Keep your eyes on Omar Vizquel, gang.  Seriously.  Now that the Sox are a virtual lock for the playoffs, Kenny may be able to convice JR and company to take on the bad contract in Vizquel.  If Kenny was in love with him before the season, I find it hard to beleive he isn't at least sending out his feelers for him now.  Omar could come in here and give this team a veteran kick in the pants.  It would be awesome.  I was calling for him before the season, and I'd love to see him in here now. 

Everything you read has Omar staying in SF because they intend to compete enxt year and they will need him.

Keep in mind in the post season depending on El Duque's health the White Sox will have Contreras/El Duque for long relief. You only need 3 starters in a 5 gm series & 4 starters in a 7 gm series.

Which will help us win a WS more? Adding a questionable SP from the NL, Barry Zito, Lilly or solid bats vs RHers? I'm leaning toward the later. Which will help us battle the WC bound A's the best? The bats.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 05:35 PM)

Batting #4 .233/.842 - should we compare #4 in NL vs #4 in AL this year?  Not a pretty picture for the NL.

You can look back to see how that compares with AJB.  Contreras is pitching like everyone thought he would when the Yanks signed him.  You would be a fool to trade him right now.  The Yanks threw in cash to drop his cost to below $7M next year.  That's a good deal.

If Marte's improved strength is for real this team doesn't need much in terms of pitching & defense.  You can argue a solid closer only because Hermy has never had to close day in & day out like this. 

The main weakness in this team is hitting vs RHP:  .248/.707

Gload 04-05 vs LHers:  .383/.994 vs RHers: .298/.803

S Casey 1B VS. L: .346/.840 VS. R: .291/.711 H: .309/.722 A: .317/.802  :  Split time w Paulie in 2005 & if Ozzie likes him buh bye Paulie.

A Dunn LF/1B VS. L: .184/.765 VS. R: .267/1.018, H: .250/1.019 A: .226/.841 : Split time w Pods in 2005 & if Ozzie likes him buh bye Paulie.

K Griffey CF VS. L: .287/.891 VS. R: .287/.867 H: .311/.921 A: .261/.825 :  There is no rule that says you have to play him in CF.  He could play any OF position or DH for that matter.  Griffey's versatility at the plate means Ozzie has a future HOFer bat he can play in no less than 4 positions everyday. 

The contract is a dream for JR & company.  A marquee player sure to draw at the gate for $6M/yr thru 2009.  Then about $58M deferred after that. 

He can still keep his home in Cinn.  On a private carrier it's less than an hr's flight time from MDW to Cinn.  He can copter from the Cell to MDW in less than 30 minutes.  Copter home from Cinn airport in about the same time.  3 hours commute tops.

I agree, but that is only if Contreras continues to pitch like this. I would love to see both Dunn and Randa on this team. I would include Konerko in that trade for both of them and pay his contract for the rest of the year, as well as prosepects if we could get both. Dunn could then play 1B and Randa is very good at 3B. Plus it helps our hitting against lefties. I would love it. If we get Vizquel I would be shocked. I keep reading that they will not part with him. All 3 would be great though.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 09:43 AM)
That's because they have nothing read in their ml's.  We have Gonzo.  You can either ship them Uribe or Gonzo.  Let them pick.

Gonzo/Valido/Lopez plus a Wes Whisler type prospect. If they wanted even a guy like Baj or Munoz.

Of course I'd prefer not to give up Valido out of any of them, but he's still a few years off and frankly, Omar helps the club this year and if they don't unload him in the offseason, the next few years.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 05:35 PM)

Batting #4 .233/.842 - should we compare #4 in NL vs #4 in AL this year?  Not a pretty picture for the NL.

You can look back to see how that compares with AJB.  Contreras is pitching like everyone thought he would when the Yanks signed him.  You would be a fool to trade him right now.  The Yanks threw in cash to drop his cost to below $7M next year.  That's a good deal.

If Marte's improved strength is for real this team doesn't need much in terms of pitching & defense.  You can argue a solid closer only because Hermy has never had to close day in & day out like this. 

The main weakness in this team is hitting vs RHP:  .248/.707

Gload 04-05 vs LHers:  .383/.994 vs RHers: .298/.803

S Casey 1B VS. L: .346/.840 VS. R: .291/.711 H: .309/.722 A: .317/.802  :  Split time w Paulie in 2005 & if Ozzie likes him buh bye Paulie.

K Griffey CF VS. L: .287/.891 VS. R: .287/.867 H: .311/.921 A: .261/.825 :  There is no rule that says you have to play him in CF.  He could play any OF position or DH for that matter.  Griffey's versatility at the plate means Ozzie has a future HOFer bat he can play in no less than 4 positions everyday. 

The contract is a dream for JR & company.  A marquee player sure to draw at the gate for $6M/yr thru 2009.  Then about $58M deferred after that. 

He can still keep his home in Cinn.  On a private carrier it's less than an hr's flight time from MDW to Cinn.  He can copter from the Cell to MDW in less than 30 minutes.  Copter home from Cinn airport in about the same time.  3 hours commute tops.

Some of what you write makes sense, but you lose me when you start wanting half of the Cincy Reds lineup. No to Dunn, Kearns, or Griffey. I'd take Randa as insurance for Crede if his price is right. But if we add Randa and send out Willie Harris, we still don't get Ross Gload, because we have to keep Ozuna as backup SS. (That may be a trade off we have to make.) And I'm all for Omar Vizquel, but SF is going to need a replacement SS that can start, and only Juan Uribe fills that bill.

My overall feeling today is I hope KW doesn't do anything stupid. With Contreras and Marte pitching very well last night, I'm no longer eager to trade them for anything at the moment.

I'd rate the biggest needs at having a reliable alternative to Joe Crede because of his back problems that will allow us to bring up Ross Gload as a lefty bat who can spell Konerko. And if we can substitute Omar Vizquel's lefty bat at SS, I see that as a plus too.

On the pitching front, I still like Schmidt, but I would rather ship El Duque and a prospect than Contreras if the Giants would make that deal. Would I give them BMac? No, but I'd give them just about any other pitcher in the minors (except Jenks).

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
On the pitching front, I still like Schmidt, but I would rather ship El Duque and a prospect than Contreras if the Giants would make that deal.  Would I give them BMac?  No, but I'd give them just about any other pitcher in the minors (except Jenks).

So you're pretty much willing to give up nothing...how would you expect to get Schmidt? That being said, I don't want to move Contreras either. I only want to make a trade for a starter, if that person replaces El Pukee in the starting 5.

I don't want to quote Juggernaut's big thing, but let me say this re: Griffey. First, grabbing him pushes either Thomas or Everett completely out of the lineup. Why? Because we'd have 3 guys competing for the DH spot, and Griffey would steal Everett's OF time.

Griffey also can no longer play every outfield spot. There are many guys who get hurt and who can no longer play RF or LF because of the stress involved on the body in making long throws at those angles. CF is the only OF spot where he can really play.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 15, 2005 -> 12:01 PM)
My overall feeling today is I hope KW doesn't do anything stupid.  With Contreras and Marte pitching very well last night, I'm no longer eager to trade them for anything at the moment. 

I'd rate the biggest needs at having a reliable alternative to Joe Crede because of his back problems that will allow us to bring up Ross Gload as a lefty bat who can spell Konerko.  And if we can substitute Omar Vizquel's lefty bat at SS, I see that as a plus too. 

On the pitching front, I still like Schmidt, but I would rather ship El Duque and a prospect than Contreras if the Giants would make that deal.  Would I give them BMac?  No, but I'd give them just about any other pitcher in the minors (except Jenks).

yeah well i got news for you, any other pticher in the minors not many other teams will want. diaz, munoz adkins are all 4A players. Baj is like 27 already, sean tracey is imo a fringe prospect. gio at this point is about teh only one, and for a guy like schmidt, even gio is still unproven having not thrown at AA yet.

you aren't going to get a top of the line pitcher for midline or non pitching prospects

This trade market, as of July 15th, does not look very attractive at all.

For example -- making a move for a guy like Burnett/Schmidt, would that really help us? Burnett is extremely injury prone, and Schmidt isn't fully healthy right now either. Plus, you'd be giving up Marte, a key part of the bullpen.

A week ago, I would have been really for KW getting a Lilly/Day type to fill Vizcaino's spot as long reliever, but Toronto is still in the WC race, and Day's been traded. So I basically took my mind off of those two.

I guess, if Crede's back is bad, Joe Randa should be looked at. I don't think a veteran like Randa would mind being a platoon player with Crede, possibly more with the potential of Crede going on the DL -- and, only for a half a season on the best team in baseball.

He could make a deal -- but does he really have to? Honestly now, as much as we b**** about Contreras, he's our #4, and doing a damn good job of it, too. Everybody knew El Duque wouldn't last the whole season -- he's here to be a big part of the stretch run, and (hopefully) a playoff run too.

All in all, I hope he doesn't make a deal just for the sake of making a deal. You can always upgrade the bullpen, and Vizcaino's spot needs an upgrade -- so I look for something to be done there. But other than that, I don't think anything needs extreme improvement.