A's at White Sox 7/9 Gameday Thread

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 07:10 PM)
Our hitters do an awful job at protecting with two strikes.  Even if the pitch is a little inside/outside, you have to foul off tough pitches in order to keep the AB alive.  You can't rely on the umpire to bail you out on close pitches all the time.

Hey, we are thirty games over .500 no?

With the story about Rowand and possible enhancements in previous years, you would think the organization would have some inkling of that, and the way Aaron has struggled, maybe there is something to the Griffey thing Ladewski was suggesting last week. I think Griffey would be on the DL within 1 week of being acquired, personally.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 12:11 AM)
Hey, we are thirty games over .500 no?

Is that supposed to be a sarcastic comment, making fun of those who use the record statistic as their support for any argument? I just know we have yet to beat a tough pitcher this entire season, and if this team has any hope of a postseason run, they're going to have to become better protect hitters.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 06:13 PM)
Is that supposed to be a sarcastic comment, making fun of those who use the record statistic as their support for any argument?  I just know we have yet to beat a tough pitcher this entire season, and if this team has any hope of a postseason run, they're going to have to become better protect hitters.

He's being sarcastic, trust me.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 12:12 AM)
With the story about Rowand and possible enhancements in previous years, you would think the organization would have some inkling of that, and the way Aaron has struggled, maybe there is something to the Griffey thing Ladewski was suggesting last week. I think Griffey would be on the DL within 1 week of being acquired, personally.

Rowand has nowhere near the power he had last year, his bat speed is down, his throwing arm has really deteriorated, and he seems slower running now than he did a few years ago. Like I said earlier, I really do like Rowand. However, I think last year might have been his peak year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 07:13 PM)
Is that supposed to be a sarcastic comment, making fun of those who use the record statistic as their support for any argument?  I just know we have yet to beat a tough pitcher this entire season, and if this team has any hope of a postseason run, they're going to have to become better protect hitters.

Of course it was sarcastic. Our hitters don't have a clue what to do with two strikes on them. They rather strike out than looking than fighting something off foul and hoping the pitcher makes a mistake. We only have a couple guys that fight off tough pitches... the others just wave as it goes by and strike out.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 05:11 PM)
Like I said, Zito's making it look way too easy.  After having just faced Zito last Sunday, we should be having better AB against him.

I think there taking too many pitches, and should be more aggressive, because there current approach ain't working.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 07:15 PM)
Rowand has nowhere near the power he had last year, his bat speed is down, his throwing arm has really deteriorated, and he seems slower running now than he did a few years ago.  Like I said earlier, I really do like Rowand.  However, I think last year might have been his peak year.

The thing that bothers me is that Rowand and Thomas are supposed to work out together a lot, right? I'm not insinuating that Thomas was/is on the juice, but wouldn't he notice when Aaron was sticking a needle into his ass?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 07:13 PM)
If the Sox don't win this one, Freddy will mow them down tomorrow, don't worry about that.

I know games against the A's or Cubs aren't really "big games" because they don't mean as much as the ones against division opponents, but he may be our best pitcher when we really need a win.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 06:17 PM)
Rowand44:  Just wanted to quickly say that I enjoy our back-and-forth conversation (bickering) during the games.  I know we disagree a lot, but we're all Sox fans, so it's in good fun I hope.

Disagree a lot??? That's an understatement :lol: No, it's cool with me, why else would I be in here, gotta give the optimists point of view. :P

When Ozuna is hitting fly outs, you know there's something wrong. We're making this way too f***ing easy for Zito. I honestly hope KW is proactive in the trade market, and not necessarily for a starting pitcher. We could huge another offensive weapon, especially against RHP.