Wunsch's Season Is Over.

JDsDirtySox

Wunsch's Season Comes to an End

By Steve Henson, Times Staff Writer

HOUSTON — Ken Griffey Jr., Shawn Green, Luis Gonzalez, Brian Giles, Jim Edmonds and Todd Helton can rest easier today.

Kelly Wunsch will have surgery on his right ankle next week and sit out the rest of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

The sidearm-slinging left-handed reliever made at-bats miserable for left-handed hitters, who were batting .194 against him. He ranks third in the majors with 45 appearances.

But he suffered the strangest injury in a strangely injury-filled Dodger season, rolling the ankle throwing a pitch in the bullpen Thursday at Colorado. Team medical personnel determined that the ligament that holds the tendon in place dislodged, causing the tendon to slide over a bone.

"He has done a terrific job and it is a substantial loss," Manager Jim Tracy said. "He came in during spring training and fulfilled the role we laid out for him."

There are no left-handers in the Dodger bullpen. Wilson Alvarez will make a second triple-A rehabilitation appearance today and is expected to be activated after the All-Star break.

However, Alvarez, 35, is not as resilient as Wunsch.

"I have to be careful with Wilson," Tracy said. "There may be days I can't use him."

The unfailingly pleasant and cerebral Wunsch also will be missed in the clubhouse. He spent his free time working crossword puzzles and reading novels, plowing through "The Lovely Bones," by Alice Sebold, "The Kite Runner," by Khaled Hosseini and "The Historian," by Elizabeth Kostova in recent weeks.

"I hope I made a good enough impression to warrant the Dodgers sticking with me," Wunsch said. "I'm hopeful I can start out here next spring with no problems."

It was a strange sight for anyone familiar with Jeff Kent's frosty demeanor. One after another, Astro players gave him warm hugs before the game. Kent was their teammate in 2003 and 2004, and helped the Astros get to the brink of the World Series last season.

"That was more of an inside joke than anything because I never gave anyone hugs when I was here," he said. "But that shows how much those guys care about what I do and how much I still care about them. That was pretty cool."

Right-hander Brad Penny is available to pitch in relief either today or Sunday, Tracy said.

Penny threw 109 pitches in 6 2/3 innings Wednesday at Colorado and is not scheduled start again until after the All-Star break.

"You could see him come in to pitch the seventh, or even the sixth and seventh if we need a bridge to get to the back of the bullpen," Tracy said.

Kent and Cesar Izturis aren't the only Dodgers headed to Detroit for All-Star festivities.

Thanks to a new format in the home run contest, Hee-Seop Choi will participate. Eight players will represent eight nations and Choi will swing on behalf of South Korea.

Choi has 13 home runs but has not hit one since June 14 when he capped a four-game, seven-homer spree with a homer against the Kansas City Royals.

I can just tell you what happened dont know bout the article... anyways he was warming up in the bullpen than on his last warmup pitch he sprained his ankle or something... Than being pissed he threw his glove down some steps and while walking down the steps hurt it even more.

Just another little sidenote the guy who had to come in because of Wunsch injury ended up giving a HR to Helton ;)

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 10:37 AM)
Damn, what happened to the Dodgers? So many major injuries this year.

Drew, Valentin, Gagne, Bradley, now Wunsch.  Talk about a major injury bug.

Some of that a trained chimpanzee could have predicted.

For example, J.D. Drew has been healthy for exactly 1 season in his career. And it was his contract season last year. The guy breaks like glass. He has for his whole career. Everyone out here knew that when they signed him. Everyone. The Dodgers will be lucky if he's healthy for 1/2 of his contract.

Gagne...everyone should have seen it coming. His arm motion was screwed up when he came back with his leg less than healthy...everyone who watched his motion could see it. It was obvious he was overcompensating for a weak leg. His velocity was down, and he was dropping his elbow while throwing...thereby putting more pressure on the ligament with each pitch. The Dodgers should never have let him pitch until he was healthy, but they let him out there anyway. And the result was exactly what you'd have expected.

Valentin...well he's not exactly a spring chicken any more.

Anywho...Sorry to hear about Kelley. I really liked the guy. He's a good guy, and I hope he can make another comeback.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 02:47 PM)
For example, J.D. Drew has been healthy for exactly 1 season in his career.  And it was his contract season last year.  The guy breaks like glass.  He has for his whole career.  Everyone out here knew that when they signed him.  Everyone.  The Dodgers will be lucky if he's healthy for 1/2 of his contract.

Could he have taken 'roids last year to reduce his injury risk?

:huh

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 11:56 AM)
Could he have taken 'roids last year to reduce his injury risk?

:huh

I don't think they reduce your injury risk, I think they help you recover faster from them. Drew's rule has always been that he wouldn't play unless he was completely healthy (yes he's a Prima Donna)...so I can't totally rule it out, but the fact was last year he just didn't get hurt.

Andruw Jones was probably a big portion of that...Drew doesn't have to work nearly as hard in the outfield with that guy playing in Center.

Balta, he got hit with a pitch on the wrist. I don't think you can bunch that in with him being 'injury prone'. I do agree that he is injury prone, don't get me wrong -- but, I don't think it's fair to classify an incident like that as him being brittle. Going for a flyball and pulling a hammy is one thing, getting HBP and breaking a bone is another.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 02:09 AM)
Balta, he got hit with a pitch on the wrist.  I don't think you can bunch that in with him being 'injury prone'.  I do agree that he is injury prone, don't get me wrong -- but, I don't think it's fair to classify an incident like that as him being brittle.  Going for a flyball and pulling a hammy is one thing, getting HBP and breaking a bone is another.

Yeah I was going to say, he is injured this year because he got beamed on his wrist and its broken. No one can predict that because It could happen to anyone...