He may not believe in dinosaurs...

greasywheels121

Carl's just been stellar. I hope we can keep this guy around for next season. He's just been great all year. From what a lot of you were saying that went to Soxfest, to what he's done now, I see no reason for Carl to not be in a Sox uni next year.

A few of Jurassic's numbers:

.339 BA w/ RISP

.667 BA w/ the bases loaded

.429 BA w/ 2nd and 3rd

.391 w/ 2 outs and RISP

A Comparison

Carl Everett vs. Paul Konerko

-Carl Everett has 2 less RBI's in 65 less AB's

-Carl Everett hits .339 w/ RISP; Paul Konerko hits .222 w/ RISP

-Carl Everett has 2 less RBI's w/ 25 less AB's w/ RISP

-Carl Everett hits .391 w/ RISP & 2 outs; Paul Konerko hits .136 w/ RISP & 2 outs

Carl Everett's a clutch mutha.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 08:54 PM)
A Comparison

-Carl Everett hits .391 w/ RISP & 2 outs; Paul Konerko hits .136 w/ RISP & 2 outs

More proof that someone else should be batting 4th. Coin toss for me between Dye and Jurassic.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 08:54 PM)
A Comparison

With all that being said, if it comes down to signing Carl or Kong, buh bye Kong. Konerko's just nothing but a HR or nothing guy to me anymore (I know today's the exception). I just don't see that fitting the style of ball we're playing. Of course, we still hit HRs, but I don't want to it to be all we rely on. Carl seems he can do the small things and still hit the occasional HR in a minute amount of playing time.

and getting back on track, Carl has been such a pleasant suprise for all of us. Non one thought much of the signing, but where would we be without him? Especially the first 2 months w/o hurt. You know who'd be here, the great jobo.

So hooray for dinosaurs and hooray for carl.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 08:57 PM)
With all that being said, if it comes down to signing Carl or Kong, buh bye Kong.  Konerko's just nothing but a HR or nothing guy to me anymore (I know today's the exception).  I just don't see that fitting the style of ball we're playing.  Of course, we still hit HRs, but I don't want to it to be all we rely on.  Carl seems he can do the small things and still hit the occasional HR in a minute amount of playing time.

Signing Kong next year would be a waste of money. He'll demand a lot of money and he's a 1 tool player. He rarely hits to right field anymore, can't run, pops up like it's going out of style and hits awful with RISP. Keep that money and use it to bolster the pitching staff. Have Dye play 1st. He can start in spring training next year. Carl can play RF next year.

Carl is a definite key as to why the Sox are 28 games over .500. It is just hard for Ozzie to have both Carl and Frank in the lineup cause if he does have them both, he is going to have to give Pods or Dye some rest. And IMO, Pods is an everyday player and Dye has been very hot since the weather has gone up.

How about having Carl in CF for a couple of times? Aaron hasn’t showed much offensively.

QUOTE(Yoda @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 09:02 PM)
Carl is a definite key as to why the Sox are 28 games over .500. It is just hard for Ozzie to have both Carl and Frank in the lineup cause if he does have them both, he is going to have to give Pods or Dye some rest. And IMO, Pods is an everyday player and Dye has been very hot since the weather has gone up.

How about having Carl in CF for a couple of times? Aaron hasn’t showed much offensively.

If you give aaron the day off you need to have pods in cf and carl in lf.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 08:59 PM)
Signing Kong next year would be a waste of money.  He'll demand a lot of money and he's a 1 tool player.  He rarely hits to right field anymore, can't run, pops up like it's going out of style and hits awful with RISP.  Keep that money and use it to bolster the pitching staff.  Have Dye play 1st.  He can start in spring training next year.  Carl can play RF next year.

That’s not a very bad idea. From what Ozzie has said, Dye is very athletic and will play 1st base just to give Pauly some rest. He didn’t do bad at all when the Devil Rays were here.

I love your idea and hopefully the idea will be thought of by KW.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 08:59 PM)
Signing Kong next year would be a waste of money.  He'll demand a lot of money and he's a 1 tool player.  He rarely hits to right field anymore, can't run, pops up like it's going out of style and hits awful with RISP.  Keep that money and use it to bolster the pitching staff. Have Dye play 1st He can start in spring training next year.  Carl can play RF next year.

You never know maybe playing dye at first the other day had dual purpose. Maybe Ozzie was already thinking the same thing and wanted to see if it could work. Good thing about being a Sox fan is we've become accustomed to seeing good players go when they ask for too much money. So if we could get two or three players for the price of Pauly im all for it.

I'm sure I'm going to get jumped on for this, but what if we traded Konerko? We'd have Gload...and we could put Dye at first...Everett in Right...and get something good for Paulie. I'm sick of this guy doing s***ty at the plate. He sat on 19 HRs for weeks...and he pops up or strikes out way too much....plus I doubt we're going to sign him next year.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 09:52 AM)
I'm sure I'm going to get jumped on for this, but what if we traded Konerko?  We'd have Gload...and we could put Dye at first...Everett in Right...and get something good for Paulie.  I'm sick of this guy doing s***ty at the plate.  He sat on 19 HRs for weeks...and he pops up or strikes out way too much....plus I doubt we're going to sign him next year.

Konerko isn't going anywhere this year. Why trade for him when you can just go after him in free agency next year anyway?

I'm definitely not about to jump on the get rid of Konerko bandwagon, but I have to admit, I hated seeing Lee go, I hated seeing Ordonez go, but our team is better off afterwards. Maybe me personal desires about keeping guys that have been here around cloud my ability to think about how we can put the best possible team on the field. That being said though, offensive production from first basemen is down all around the AL and Konerko is definitely a serviceable firstbaseman, probably above average. Getting rid of him shouldn't be a priority, but at the same time, he might not be worth what he's going to demand.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 10:53 AM)
Konerko isn't going anywhere this year.  Why trade for him when you can just go after him in free agency next year anyway?

It would have to be for a team looking for a power bat heading into the post-season...I don't have anyone in mind though.

I love Paulie....but we really need someone else in the lineup who gets on base...his strikeouts and pop-ups are driving me crazy.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 03:56 PM)
I love Paulie....but we really need someone else in the lineup who gets on base...his strikeouts and pop-ups are driving me crazy.

It's ironic that one day after he gets five hits we're talking about trading him because he doesn't get on base. I demand more five hit performances!! If he got five hits a game I think we'd all be ok with him!

QUOTE(UofIChiSox @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 11:01 AM)
It's ironic that one day after he gets five hits we're talking about trading him because he doesn't get on base.  I demand more five hit performances!!  If he got five hits a game I think we'd all be ok with him!

Heres why I want to trade him= That was the first 5 hit game of his career, it was a fluke. Secondly, he is hitting under what we would expect a cleanup hitter to hit, he grounds into too many DP's, clogs up the bases, and strikes out too much. His FA contract is going to make him one if not the highest paid player on the team, and I for one, do not think he is worth that much. I am all for trading him right now, I think we can get Huff from TB to play 1st base and if not, Gload is a viable option. If not, Dye can play 1st and Carla can fill in the OF. I just think Kong is over valued, and I do not think we are pursuing him in the offseason. There is a reason they havent re-signed im yet, and his value will not match his price tag.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 04:05 PM)
Heres why I want to trade him=  That was the first 5 hit game of his career, it was a fluke.  Secondly, he is hitting under what we would expect a cleanup hitter to hit, he grounds into too many DP's, clogs up the bases, and strikes out too much.  His FA contract is going to make him one if not the highest paid player on the team, and I for one, do not think he is worth that much.  I am all for trading him right now, I think we can get Huff from TB to play 1st base and if not, Gload is a viable option.  If not, Dye can play 1st and Carla can fill in the OF.  I just think Kong is over valued, and I do not think we are pursuing him in the offseason.  There is a reason they havent re-signed im yet, and his value will not match his price tag.

I understand where you're coming from, and I completely agree that five hits was sort of a fluke and won't be repeated very often at all. It was just a little weird the timing of everything. I am not a believer that Huff is the answer though, his numbers this year are no better than Konerko's, other than the fact his salary is cheaper. He's seven months younger than Konerko. I just don't see him as much of an upgrade, just a cost saver.