Boone to Minnesota (Official)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)
I think it does matter, if Boonie CAN catch fire, he is absolutely going to ignite that offense!!!

the only way he's going to catch fire is if he figures out how to get back on the needle without testing positive.

put a fork in Boone...he might do well for a short period, but...

You guys are only focusing on Boone's offensive numbers. While I think he is just as good, if not better Offensively than everyone they have right now... He is WAY BETTER than anyone they have Defensively. Boone is a solid player. Even though he doesn't get his enhanced numbers anymore, I fully expect him to be an upgrade for the Twinkies.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 06:02 PM)
Addition by subtraction (of Luis Rivas).  Okay move, nothing to worry too much about.  But if they're using leftover salary space on Boone, that's a pretty good sign.

The salary is a pro-rated minimum. so something along the lines of 150K. Nothing that a major league ballclub should worry about. (It's less than the Sox have to pay out in all-star bonuses over the next two years now)

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 11:05 PM)
The salary is a pro-rated minimum. so something along the lines of 150K. Nothing that a major league ballclub should worry about. (It's less than the Sox have to pay out in all-star bonuses over the next two years now)

Oh, okay. Well then that sucks. Kinda. Good move, still, but I'm not too concerned.

IIRC correctly, the Commissioner's office will have to approve this if over $1 million is going to the Twins. The Commissioner's Office may reject it if the prospect isn't good enough or if they think too much money is going to Minnesota as part of the deal.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 11:10 PM)
IIRC correctly, the Commissioner's office will have to approve this if over $1 million is going to the Twins.  The Commissioner's Office may reject it if the prospect isn't good enough or if they think too much money is going to Minnesota as part of the deal.

I can't imagine he'd veto it. I think that's only a serious issue when money is being sent to cover future years' salaries. Considering the Twins would have just released him after a week more (or so -- not sure when he was designated), getting anything is good enough.

Edit: Ack, M's would have released him. :bang

Edited by jackie hayes

He is an upgrade. Period. While the move isn't great by any strech of the imagination, it shouldn't hurt the ballclub.

However, with his steroids and bat-flipping, he's right up there with Torri in terms of Twins I root heavily against. There's not too many of them, but Boone and Hunter def. get me fired up.

QUOTE(marsh @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 09:51 PM)
I imagine if we were picking up boone to replace willie harris as starting 2b and only paying pro-rated league minimum and a nobody minor leaguer, lots of people would be pretty happy about it.

Why would he replace Willie Harris as the starting 2B???

1) Willie Harris is not a starting 2b

2) Willie Harris is not THE starting 2b for Boone to steal his job

3) Willie Harris blows

4) Tadahito Iguchi IS the starting 2b

5) Bret Boone

6) Bret Boone > Willie Harris therefore, if we traded a PTBNL for Boone as the backup 2b, it would have been a good deal.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 09:04 PM)
Why would he replace Willie Harris as the starting 2B???

1) Willie Harris is not a starting 2b

2) Willie Harris is not THE starting 2b for Boone to steal his job

3) Willie Harris blows

4) Tadahito Iguchi IS the starting 2b

5) Bret Boone

6) Bret Boone > Willie Harris therefore, if we traded a PTBNL for Boone as the backup 2b, it would have been a good deal.

I think he's saying that Willie Harris is comparable to the crappy 2B's on the Twins. Like imagine if we didn't have Iguchi and Willie was our starter.