Crede's back woes...

AWhiteSoxinNJ

White Sox | Back Bothers Crede

Mon, 11 Jul 2005 01:33:12 -0700

The Chicago Sun-Times' Toni Ginnetti reports Chicago White Sox 3B Joe Crede (back) had a precautionary MRI exam on his lower back July 9 after experiencing continued tightness. "It just came on over time, and it's not getting any better,'' Crede said. "I could probably play defense but not hit.''

If there is a chance that his back becomes worse, do you all think it would cause KW to make a trade in case Crede needs to go on the DL down the stretch? Plus I don't have faith in playing Pablo everyday in the dogfights that we will play in the second half.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 06:54 AM)
Big loss.  As much as I like Crede's defense, he's just a rally killer and a black hole in the lineup.  I'd trade him.

:huh

Watching Pablo Ozuna play third base everyday makes me long for Joe Crede back and healthy :crying

All of the people who wanted Crede benched... Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

BTW who was the poster who had the bench Crede, start Ozuna fan club in his sig?  LMAO.

I remember the avatar, don't remember the poster, who was that?

BTW, did anyone see that Trib blurb this morning, saying Willie Harris was in the locker room after the game stacking all his baseball spikes and equipment in a big box? And that Guillen walked by and gave him a strange look?

Also, if Crede's back is a problem, Williams will go out and trade for Randa. And it will cost the Sox more than they'd like to pay in terms of prospects. Unfortunately there's no one in the minor league system who can play 3B any better than Ozuna at this point. Burke and Norton are butchers at 3B and Josh Fields is nowhere close to ready. Mackowiak is another guy who can play 3B but he's not great there.

Seeing the baseball bounce off of Ozuna’s glove down at 3rd base makes me want to have Crede back in the lineup. I’m not a big Crede fan at all but I do have to admit that I missed the guy over the weekend. I hope he recovers quickly.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 07:50 AM)
BTW, did anyone see that Trib blurb this morning, saying Willie Harris was in the locker room after the game stacking all his baseball spikes and equipment in a big box?  And that Guillen walked by and gave him a strange look?

Well I think Willie has played his last days in the WhiteSox uni.

He probably will be part of any trade.

Remember when people were saying we shouldn't trade for Randa because of his back problems and Crede has nothing wrong with him?

That might not be true anymore.

Just for grins, let's assume Crede has a back problem that keeps him on the shelf (I hope not). They would still look long and hard at Randa's health, or anyone they got for that matter. Randa's back problem history could be a reason for not dealing for him. As always, there is a lot behind the scenes we don't know.

Trade for Vizquel to play SS, move Uribe to 3B if Crede can not play!!!

I still struggle with why the Sox would be willing to pick up on that guaranteed contract, seeing as they wouldn't match what SF did last winter.

The perspective is different now of course, with the Sox in 1st and the Giants struggling. But that guaranteed 3rd year at big money would still be a major gulp for the White Sox.

On the trade thread I posted the question whether anyone would consider trading for Tony Graffanino.

He doesn't have great range, but he's a solid bat and could play 3B for a couple of weeks if Crede goes on the DL. Plus, KC would likely unload him just to save some money.

Sure, Randa is the bigger name and is better defensively, but what do you do if Crede comes back healthy after a few days? Graffy is used to the utility role and can play all the infield slots.

Leo Daigle can play third right? :P

But seriously, if Crede goes to the DL we could just shift Uribe to 3B, call up Guerrero and have him and Pablo platoon at SS for the time being if its only gonna be one stint on the DL. If it would require more however, i think we'd have to go get someone.

Gload at center of Sox' upcoming roster decisions

The White Sox will have roster moves to deal with when they return to action Thursday, with the biggest surrounding when -- or if -- to activate first baseman Ross Gload.

The left-handed hitter has been rehabilitating his left shoulder with Class AAA Charlotte, and his return is a matter in question. Manager Ozzie Guillen has said he wants to give Paul Konerko more time off in the second half, but if the Sox decide Jermaine Dye is an adequate backup, Gload's status would remain unclear.

The Sox made one move after Sunday's game, sending left-handed pitcher Kevin Walker to Charlotte to make room for Damaso Marte, who will return Thursday from his rehab assignment. Marte (left shoulder) will make at least two appearances for Charlotte, while starter Orlando Hernandez (right shoulder) was scheduled to pitch for the Knights on Sunday.

Hernandez is scheduled to throw on the side Wednesday in Miami with Guillen observing, then resume his spot in the rotation next Monday when the Sox open a homestand against Detroit.

The status of third baseman Joe Crede also might figure into the roster picture. Crede is trying to recover from a sore lower back and missed his fourth start in the last five games Sunday. He and the Sox are hoping rest, including the three-day All-Star break, will be the tonic for his ailment, but Guillen didn't rule out a possible disabled-list move should Crede need more time.

"The information we have now is it's a little tightness,'' Guillen said. "Hopefully we won't have to [put him on the DL]. But if it continues, we'll put somebody else out there.''

Maybe Willie ain't going anywhere if Crede's DL-bound :banghead

Bottom line is, if Crede is hurt, nobody wins. He won't be able to play, we won't have a serviceable substitute for him, and he'll have a low trade value. I always figured if we'd acquire a 3b we'd include Crede in the trade. if we don't, what happens when he's healthy again?

On the trade thread I posted the question whether anyone would consider trading for Tony Graffanino.

He doesn't have great range, but he's a solid bat and could play 3B for a couple of weeks if Crede goes on the DL.  Plus, KC would likely unload him just to save some money. 

Sure, Randa is the bigger name and is better defensively, but what do you do if Crede comes back healthy after a few days?  Graffy is used to the utility role and can play all the infield slots.

The White Sox haven't made a trade with KC since 1987, and KW has stated to forget about KC helping a Central division rival. Same reason why the Sox don't trade with Detroit, Cleveland, Minnesota.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 05:18 PM)
The White Sox haven't made a trade with KC since 1987, and KW has stated to forget about KC helping a Central division rival.  Same reason why the Sox don't trade with Detroit, Cleveland, Minnesota.

Okay. But I would think helping their own bottom line when it is a backup player might override that. Even so, I'm having enough doubts about Tony's defensive abilities to think it might not be a good move even if he was available.

Crede will be alright his back should prove to be better and he'll be readyafter the break. REst will do him good.. If I was his doctor I would say that what is causing his problem is swinging at outside curve ballas out of the zone and not taking pitches he can't hit. Shorten his swing and going with the pitch if it is outside taking it to right. In other words I like Joe and with what we pay him we have a solid third baseman that is dedicated to the team. In o3 met some of his family in KC by chance and I was awed by what he's been through for the last what 9 years he's been in the organization including minor league. I like joe! Where is our allegiance to him. :cheers