Its official Buehrle to start

kman

Francona chooses Buehrle; La Russa tabs Carpenter

Updated: July 11, 2005, 10:59 AM ET

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar05/ne...tory?id=2105296

Francona chooses Buehrle; La Russa tabs CarpenterESPN.com news services

Related Video:

Late rally not enough for Giants

With Roy Halladay out of the mix after suffering a broken bone in his leg, it appears the American League starting job at the All-Star Game will fall to Chicago White Sox left-hander Mark Buehrle. Meanwhile, National League manager Tony La Russa stayed close to home with his choice, tabbing h :rolly is own right-hander Chris Carpenter, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

Mark Buehrle

Starting Pitcher

Chicago White Sox

2005 SEASON STATISTICS

GM W L BB K ERA

18 10 3 21 85 2.58

American League All-Star manager Terry Francona placed a call Sunday to check Buehrle's status for Tuesday's game.

"He called to check on my availability to pitch and could I pitch an inning or two," Buehrle told the Chicago Sun-Times. "I told him, 'If you want me to start or close, whatever.' I can go two innings, though [manager] Ozzie [Guillen] only wants me to pitch one. I bounce back pretty quick. I'm not worried."

Guillen said yesterday that he hopes that Francona won't overuse his pitcher.

"Buehrle is supposed to start and I'm a little ... not disappointed, a little concerned, because Buehrle just threw a couple days ago," Guillen told ESPN Radio 1000 in Chicago. "He threw [saturday] and he's only gonna throw, hopefully two innings. It's great for the White Sox, I think it's great for Buehrle, but in the manager way, I think it's real hard to see, you know, the pitcher we're gonna count on, go through that many innings in so little time."

Francona was not pleased to hear of Guillen's comments.

"Guillen is the manager of the Chicago White Sox, not the American League All-Stars," Francona told The Boston Globe. "I'll announce it when it's appropriate."

La Russa refused to confirm his decision Sunday, wanting to honor Major League Baseball's request to embargo their choice.

Chris Carpenter

Starting Pitcher

St. Louis Cardinals

2005 SEASON STATISTICS

GM W L BB K ERA

18 13 4 33 128 2.51

"The pitcher has been informed and the manager has been informed," La Russa told the Post-Dispatch, noting that he narrowed the field to three before reaching his verdict.

Starting Carpenter would mark the third time in La Russa's four games as an All-Star manager that he has selected one of his own pitchers to make the start. He also picked Bob Welch and Dave Stewart when La Russa managed the Oakland Athletics.

Carpenter would become the first Cardinals pitcher to start the All-Star Game since Rick Wise in 1973.

QUOTE(kman @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 03:39 PM)
Francona was not pleased to hear of Guillen's comments.

"Guillen is the manager of the Chicago White Sox, not the American League All-Stars," Francona told The Boston Globe. "I'll announce it when it's appropriate."

Looks like we're gonna have a real rivalry here!! If the season ended today we'd be playing them in the divisional series. Guillen didn't really announce Buehrle as the starter though, he just said that Francona had called him to talk about it, and spoke his feelings about the possible start.

QUOTE(UofIChiSox @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 10:49 AM)
Looks like we're gonna have a real rivalry here!!  If the season ended today we'd be playing them in the divisional series.  Guillen didn't really announce Buehrle as the starter though, he just said that Francona had called him to talk about it, and spoke his feelings about the possible start.

Apparently Francona is a tough guy....go blow ya Boston chowdarheads!

So...when the first 2 innings of that ballgame are over after like 10 minutes, will MLB be happy or sad? (I figure it'll keep people tuned in to the commercials more if they think the inning will be over if they change the channels).

Congrats Mark...2 AS Starter's in 3 years, that ain't bad.

Now let's just get you a few other tokens...that 20th win, a Cy Young trophy, and a new ring.

I know this is a Sox board and forum, so we'll probably stick with the AL discussion for the most part, but how about the pick of Carpenter over Willis and maybe even Clemens? Guess that's the payoff when you go to the World Series, you can still start your guy.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 04:00 PM)
Didnt we almost hire Francona instead of Ozzie at some point?

francona coached in the sox minor league system for awhile so his name popped up a few times when we were looking for new managers.

QUOTE(GoArow33 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 11:32 AM)
Francona's a little b****. Isn't Ozzie managing the best team in baseball? That's what I thought. f*** off Terry.

Terry Francona is managing the defending world champions. I don't care for the Red Sox or Francona, but he can talk pretty much as much s*** as he wants.

QUOTE(UofIChiSox @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 11:05 AM)
I know this is a Sox board and forum, so we'll probably stick with the AL discussion for the most part, but how about the pick of Carpenter over Willis and maybe even Clemens?  Guess that's the payoff when you go to the World Series, you can still start your guy.

Theres no reason Willis should not be starting.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 04:46 PM)

yeah, that's what I think too. Willis has the same record as Carpenter, an ERA that's 0.12 lower, but 33 less strikeouts. BUT, Willis has more name recognition and for most of the season has been the NL leader in wins.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 09:46 AM)

Let me quote Jayson Stark for about 8 reasons why Willis should not be starting.

Clemens' ERA is nine-tenths of a run lower than Willis'. And it isn't much closer in departments like strikeout rate, opponent batting average, WHIP or quality starts. The Marlins have blown just one save for Dontrelle. The Astros have blown three for Clemens. And you can account for their entire win differential in the six games Clemens started in which the Astros scored zero runs while he was in the game. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Clemens' 1.48 ERA is the lowest by any pitcher at the break, in a non-strike season, since 1968 (Bob Gibson and Don Drysdale). And if the Rocket can keep his ERA that miniscule, it would be the lowest by any 40-something pitcher since Cy Young (the pitcher, not the trophy) in 1908. Any more questions?