HR Derby

soxfan3530

does anyone else agree that this new format for the hr derby with guys representing their countries is stupid. this way we leave deserving guys like konerko, a-rod, manny aren't in it and guys like jason bay and pudge who has five homers this year are. what are your thoughts? :gosox1:

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 12:41 PM)
I dont want paulie in it anyway......other then that I dont really care......it would be funny to see a guy like pudge or bay win it this year

I certainly don't want Pudge to win it. I really don't like that guy.

It'd be hilarious to see Choi win it, though. Imagine that? Throughout the stadium and living rooms around the country, a collective "WTF?" would be heard. :D

I'll be rooting for Teixeira because he's the American, of course. But Choi gets my support if Tex can't do it, only for the comedic value.

While I think the format is goofy, it will actually get me to tune in and see what its like. I've seriously lost a lot of interest in the HR Derby in recent years. Maybe it was because the steroid freaks (take your pick) cheapened the home run all together.

Or maybe I'm just bitter. :P

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 12:46 PM)
No Serbians in the HR derby????? Awwwwwww. I'm probably gonna root for Bay or Tejada. I just wanna see some bombs!

What about Teixierra. :usa How dare you cheer for a Canadian, you Commie!!

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 01:58 PM)
OK.  You make a compelling argument.  Go Canada.

:lolhitting Seriously though, why change the original format. 4 NL and 4 AL. It was simple and easier to watch. How are they going to format the rounds? Everyone gets 1 round and the person with most wins??? :puke Don't fix it if it aint broke.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 01:00 PM)
:lolhitting Seriously though, why change the original format. 4 NL and 4 AL. It was simple and easier to watch. How are they going to format the rounds? Everyone gets 1 round and the person with most wins???  :puke  Don't fix it if it aint broke.

The same way they always did...

8 cut down to 4 cut down to 2 cut down to 1

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)
The same way they always did...

8 cut down to 4 cut down to 2 cut down to 1

This could turn into a racist kinda thing though. I just dont like it. Just my opinion. Carry on. :gosox3:

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
How could this be racist at all?

I think it's because we don't like teh idea of cheering for a Canadian and appearently there are Serbians in Canada. Though I don't think Bay is Serbian and I don't remember anyone saying anything negative towards the Serbian people.

All I'm saying is that as an American if you cheer for a Canadian to win an American event, you are a communist.

QUOTE(soxfan3530 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 11:11 AM)
for those of you who say you don't want paulie in it why? hes not going to hurt himself swinging for the fences. hes not derrek lee :P

Actually...there's quite a few people around who would say that the last time Paulie was in the HR derby it really screwed with his swing and helped send him into that horrific slump a few years ago.

QUOTE(soxfan3530 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 12:36 PM)
does anyone else agree that this new format for the hr derby with guys representing their countries is stupid. this way we leave deserving guys like konerko, a-rod, manny aren't in it and guys like jason bay and pudge who has five homers this year are. what are your thoughts?  :gosox1:

Dumbest rule ever. If they HAD to get into the countries because of the impending WORLD CUP OF BASEBALL, then they should have gone USA vs the World. That would have given them a lot more breathing room.

PS Pudge being in it is stupid. The forces that be didn't make sure that we had a White Sox player in the Homerun Derby, but look at all of this.

When the Derby was in...

Houston, they had Lance Berkman

Chicago, no white sox

Milwaukee, Richie Sexson

Seattle, Bret Boone

Atlanta, Chipper Jones

Boston, Nomar Garciaparra

Colorado, Vinny Castilla

Cleveland, Jim Thome

I find it a bit odd, and really suprising that MLB did not go out of their way to have one of our sluggers in the contest. Frank hit 40 + homers, and Maggs, Konerko, and Lee all hit around 30. What a shock!