AAP: Chris Carter

ph_474892.jpg

Vernon Chris Carter

Position: 3B Height: 6'4" Weight: 210 Bat: R Throw: R Born: 12/18/86 (18)

Acquired: 15th round of 2005 Draft out of Sierra Vista HS (Las Vegas)

His official name is Vernon but he goes by Chris, his middle name.

Stats

Bristol (2005): 65 games, .283, .350 obp, .485 slg, 17 2B, 10 HR, 37 RBI, 33 R, 2 SB, 17 BB, 64 K in 233 at-bats

Kannapolis (2006): 13 games, .130, .231 obp, .261 slg, 3 2B, 1 HR, 5 RBI, 4 R, 5 BB, 17 K in 46 at-bats

Great Falls (2006): 69 games, .299, .398 obp, .570 slg, 21 2B, 1 3B, 15 HR, 59 RBI, 37 R, 4 SB, 34 BB, 70 K in 251 at-bats

Kannapolis (2007): 126 games, .291, .383 obp, .522 slg, 27 2B, 3 3B, 25 HR, 93 RBI, 84 R, 3 SB, 67 BB, 112 K in 467 at-bats

On December 3rd, 2007 Carter was traded to the Diamondbacks for Carlos Quentin.

Edited by danman31

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Carter struggled in Kanny (.130, .231, .261) with 1 HR, 5 RBI, and 4 runs. In 46 at-bats he had 5 walks and 17 strikeouts. He was sent down to extended spring training.

June 25 Update: Carter hit a walk off 3 run HR to finish a 5 run rally in the bottom of the 9th to lead Great Falls to a 9-8 win tonight. Carter was 4-4 on the day with a double, a HR, 4 RBI, and a walk. He is now 12-22 for Great Falls this year with 3 HR, 9 RBI, 3 runs, 4 walks, and 5 Ks in 6 games. The K rate is still slightly high, but he is putting up great production so far.

July 6 Update: Carter continues to mash Pioneer League pitching. He's hitting .364 (20/55) with 6 HR, 19 RBI, 4 2B, 12 R, 10 BB, 11 K. He leads the team in HR (three times the next highest), RBI (more than twice as much as the next highest), runs scored, and walks. Carter is the league leader in slugging (.764), OPS (1.226), total bases (42), RBI (19), HR (6, no one else even has 3).

Talk about domination, if Carter keeps this up a 2nd chance in Kanny might not be out of the question.

End of Season Update: Carter struggled at the end of the season, but still had good overall numbers at Great Falls. He remains one of the better hitting prospects in the system. His final Great Falls numbers ranked him in the top 10 in the league in 6 categories (2nd in slugging, 4th in OPS, t-1st in total bases, 3rd in RBI, 1st in HR, and 5th in doubles).

• 10 months later...

The power hitting 1st baseman got a look with the big league club in Spring Training and was retired in his only at-bat. He is starting this season with Kannapolis again. He went 0-4 with a K while hitting from the 4 spot. Hopefully he can buck the trend of Sox hitting prospects that mash rookie league pitching and then struggle in A ball (see Salvador Sanchez, Francisco Hernandez).

• 4 weeks later...

Carter is hitting .275 while splitting time between 1B and DH. He had been hitting 4th in the lineup until the I's moved Brandon Allen down in the order, since the 26th he has been hitting in the 3 hole. In 91 at bats he has 7 doubles, 3 HR, and 13 RBI. He has 7 walks and 19 strikeouts. He has a .333obp, and a .451slg making for a mediocre .784 OPS.

• 3 weeks later...
18. Chris Carter, 1b, low Class A Kannapolis (White Sox)

Sure, Carter is repeating low Class A, but he's still just 20-years-old. And sure, he's a righthanded batter limited to first base--but have you seen his numbers? Carter went 11-for-26 (.423) last week with two homers, eight RBIs and a league-leading seven extra-base hits (.885 slugging).

Carter made Baseball America's Prospect Hot Sheet. His overall numbers are .318/.372/.576. He ranks top 10 in the SAL in slugging (6th), OPS (8th- .948), total bases (2nd- 87), HRs (8th- 7), doubles (t-3rd- 14), hits (t-2nd- 48), and runs (t-10th- 28). It would be nice if he could improve his walk rate and cut down on his Ks, but it is nice to see Carter doing well this time around in the SAL.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 16, 2007 -> 03:41 PM)
Any chance him and Francisco Hernandez get promoted this year or do you think the organization takes it slow with both of them.

Considering they are both repeating it's probable they would promote both. Especially Hernandez because this is his 3rd year, 2nd full season, with Kanny. There isn't any precedent I can think of from the last few years though. None of the other talented guys in the org. that did well in rookie ball but faltered in Kanny have turned it around (Salvador Sanchez, Gomes, Brandon Allen) until these two. Who knows?

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 16, 2007 -> 07:36 PM)
You know, I don't see Carter ever being a great everyday player, but I think he has the potential to be a great bench/role player.

that is way to premature to make that statement. If he puts up the stats he is doing now in high A and double A I dont know how you could say that. So until he shows he cant hit at a higher lvl like he is now no reason to think that.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 16, 2007 -> 07:41 PM)
that is way to premature to make that statement. If he puts up the stats he is doing now in high A and double A I dont know how you could say that. So until he shows he cant hit at a higher lvl like he is now no reason to think that.

It's just my personal opinion/feeling about him as a player. He doesn't seem to draw much walks and strikes out a few too many times one would like, but he can hit. I am usually wrong about these things anyway, so it's cool anyway.

Carter made Baseball America's prospect hot sheet this week at #20.

20. Chris Carter, 1b, low Class A Kannapolis (White Sox)

Yeah, the home runs are nice, but we'd be more impressed if they weren't coming in low Class A . . . in Carter's third pro season. But then again, a league-leading four home runs, 12 RBIs and nine runs scored in a week are hard to ignore. Carter also went 8-for-24 (.333).

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 16, 2007 -> 07:45 PM)
It's just my personal opinion/feeling about him as a player. He doesn't seem to draw much walks and strikes out a few too many times one would like, but he can hit. I am usually wrong about these things anyway, so it's cool anyway.

Chris Young, low A

8.3 PA/BB

3.6 PA/K

Chris Carter

11.9 PA/BB

6.4 PA/BB

Yeah, usually wrong, right

Dude's in low A ball, give him time before even projecting him.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...